Giving Barbarians Archery through WB

Bachaholic

Chieftain
Hey all,

I've seen absolute 0 do this in his videos & I kind of understand his reasoning behind it.
Is this advisable for lower levels? (I'm a monarch player..)

Tried a search on this and couldn't find the info - sorry if this belongs somewhere else, it's my first post.

It's usually only done on worldbuilder saves like those provided through the Noble's Club series. AZ does it as the worldbuilder save that he plays at deity difficulty doesn’t include the barbarian’s usual techs including archery and without it the barbarians are too easily destroyed by the AI which increases the difficulty.

If you've started your own game rather than loaded a worldbuilder save, the barbarians should already have archery at monarch level.

AcaMetis describes it perfectly in the NC blurb.

Spoiler for players on Monarch or above : You should add archery as a tech for the barbarians (if you don't, the AI will capture their cities very early). This cannot be done in the WB save file and must be done in Worldbuilder as follows: Spoiler how to add techs to the barbarians :
  1. Zoom in all the way so you can't see the rest of the map.
  2. Use the CTRL-W key (or the menu) to enter the worldbuilder. Avoid looking at the mini-map in the lower right corner.
  3. By default you're in "player" mode (look in the box in the upper right; the icon that looks like a person should be selected). You'll get a drop down menu labeled with your leader's name. Barbarians are at the bottom, so cover the rest of the list with your hand if you don't want to see who else is on the map. Select "Barbarians".
  4. Select the "Technologies" tab in the box on the left.
  5. Find Archery (the arrow head icon; 8th row, 3rd column from the right) and click it.
  6. Exit the worldbuilder.
  7. Zoom out again after the map fades, and start playing.
If you're playing at higher level than Monarch, consider also giving them Hunting at Emperor, Agriculture at Immortal, and The Wheel at Deity.

Here’s a link to the latest NC game https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/nobles-club-295-asoka-of-india.675128/

Top Bottom