Going to try REX playstyle on Immortal, any leader Suggestions?

JimBobV

Warlord
So I just finished up a fun game on emperor with Lizzy, got a close science victory, and now that I've won every victory on emperor a couple times I've decided its time to move onto to Immortal. I've heard that Immortal is one of the biggest leaps in the game, but despite this I want to try out a REX playstyle for the first time. I know they basics of REXing(Settle near horses/ivory etc.) and I would like to know what you think is a good civ for it. Keep in mind that I don't have G&K's, only BNW so picking the Mayans isn't an option. I also dislike early game war and would rather engage in combat in the mid/late game when I've built up my infrastructure.

So yeah, you get the point. I would like to get some tips on Immortal and REXing, and which BNW civ would be a good choice for this. Thanks for your input, feedback is appreciated.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that I have all DLC aside from Korea and the ancient wonders pack.

Or Poland.

If you're okay with ~Midtier-Civs, then Egypt, Rome, China and Russia all work quite good with this kind of strategy without making things more complicated.

Maya ... oh wait you dont have those :p

Try to settle luxuries you dont have yet, and as you noticed horses + ivory. in my rex game I owned all luxuries except for furs by the end, ally a CS with furs, permanent WLTKD. But I didnt really like how small my cities still were.

Celts could work well for that +3 :c5happy: UB plus the early faith, but tbh I didnt build a single opera house when I tried it and relied on religion for culture + happiness.

If you find a decent faith wonder early, settle it ASAP. If you can manage to get both mosques and pagodas it will make it a lot easier to manage because you can purchase those with faith.

I wouldn't recommend REX'ing for your first immortal game, especially without Maya. :) But if you insist, I'd go with Egypt - great UB will help with happiness issues plus if you get desert start and desert folklore, religion will help with that even further. Mobile UU is solid on offense and defense. Morocco, Arabia are also good for desert starts and strong economy. If you have DLC's I'd say Incas also an option. Iroquois and Russia can get stupid production, but will be limited by happiness and maintenance costs that add up.

For more in-depth strategy, check out Strategy and Tips section. There are few threads dealing with REX and ICS.

Okay, thanks for the tips. I'm going to start a game as egypt now and see how it goes. By the way, how many cities should I have by T50, T100, etc? I assume I should have around four by T50, but I'm not sure.

Okay, so I've started the game on epic speed so four cities by T50 isn't a very good shot. I'm shooting for more around 4 cities by T125, and 8 cities by T200.

Turns out that it is quite possible to get four cities by T100. If I have a second city around T50, and then work on a settler around T75, then with the free settler from liberty I just about manage to get there.

Turns out that it is quite possible to get four cities by T100. If I have a second city around T50, and then work on a settler around T75, then with the free settler from liberty I just about manage to get there.

If you get your free settler from liberty that late, you are doing something very wrong. Generally you get your free settler first, and that should be abour t40 (earlier with culture ruin) and then start producing more settlers.

If you get your free settler from liberty that late, you are doing something very wrong. Generally you get your free settler first, and that should be abour t40 (earlier with culture ruin) and then start producing more settlers.

Well first of all, i'm playing on epic which increases the time it takes to gain policies among other things. Second of all, instead of taking the Republic policy I took the one that gave me a free worker because I was already in the middle of producing a settler.

You should produce your settlers after you've taken collective rule, and instead of that settler you were building before it you should build a worker first as this also allows your city to grow and you can develop it sooner while also getting faster settlers asap.

Open with a scout or two if you have ruins enabled, or open straight with a worker.

Open Tradition for the +3 culture, then beeline collective rule for the settler. Then I take Aristocracy > Legalism > Monarchy > Citizenship > Meritocracy > Representation, unless going for Piety, but you dont really need the piety tree unless you really want a reformation belief. Usually its Tradition + Liberty, or Tradition + Piety.

Tradition / Liberty / Commerce / Rationalism usually works best for rex.

Tradition is bad for REXing. Especially Aristocracy, bhavv! :p

I like Liberty + Piety combo very much. Straight for settler, then finish Liberty with GE to rush a good wonder like Notre Dame and full Piety. Of course if you don't have a religion, Piety is kinda useless. On the other hand, I can't imagine REXing without religion. Must be so painful...

Nooooooooo!!!

I want Aristocracy, but it turned out I couldnt build all the wonders when rexing because my capital stayed too small.

So actually yes, you are right.

Trying to do the same thing as you might have seen. ;)

Boudicca is nice for it, as you'll often get first-pick on founding a religion with a little city placement. All other civs suffer trying for a religion on immortal due to the AI starting with shrine technology. Later, she also has a +3 happiness on her opera house which you can spam everywhere. That is, minimum, an extra 5 happiness per city if you play it right. Quite likely, extra 7 happiness if you can nab the +2 per temple which you will be building anyway.

Ramses is also nice but less potential. Still, that extra +2 happiness on his temple is great and can be bumped up pretty easily to +4 as the AI take the temple follower secondary to the religious buildings. It's like he starts with the +2 happiness to temples for free, which is an earlier boost then boudicca (earlier REXing!)

Lastly, India is a good wide player. Not really a competitive REXer, but down-game he beats everyone on sheer population potential for a wide empire since he get only 50% unhappiness on all population. All others, you can expect to stay tiny most of the game in a lot of peripheral cities, ghandi can turn every city you found into a competitive 12+ pop monster, you just need to eat a bigger settling penalty (+4 even on huge). With a good religion he could REX as well, but that'd be tough on immortal. I've found him to have the best empire down-game after REXing of anyone though, and he's probably better poised to capitilize on it too as all his extra cities will eventually be better than anyone else's. I won't bother to run the math again, but he can literally ICS, making his cities happiness neutral with no new luxes or horses/ivory. (=infinite cities)

Rapid Early Expansion

Top Bottom