Golden Path victory

mmmchikn

Chieftain
Seems that a good victory condition unique to Dune would be a Golden Path Victory, because the Golden Path ensures that humanity as a whole survives, which seems like an appropriate way to win the game.

To win, you would have to:

research Golden Path (duh!)

Build a Wonder, maybe the citadel (I forgot the name of it) that Leto II lives in

Create a program similar to the BG Breeding programs which results in a God Emperor (maybe some new techs as well)

It seems like it would be analogous to the Space Race win in normal Civ.

(also, on a semi-related note, Sandtrout would be an interesting technology, maybe nid to late game that goes along with the Arrakis Paradise/Terraforming stuff)

Thoughts?

Quizarate religion is basically designed for a Religious victory, because of how its missionaries wipe away other religions, and how the Golden Path building allows super-sized cities (which helps you with the total global % population requirements for religions victory) - so you can interpret a Quizarate religious victory as attaining the golden path.

I'm not sure that we need two victory conditions like this.

We used to have sandtrout as a bonus resource, but it didn't seem to make much sense and so it was removed.
I'm not sure that I understand how sandtrout would work as a *tech*? They're an early form of the Worm's lifecycle, and they absorb water and increase desertification. What did you have in mind here - what benefits would such a tech provide?

*edit*
We also used to have a Kwizatz Haderach space ship victory, but it was removed because it was kinda clumsy and relatively uninteresting.
Also, out of flavor for anyone except Bene Gesserit/Atreides/Fremen.
This would also overlap with our implementation of Bene Gesserit breeding projects (creating super-leaders), which could be confusing.

Makes sense about Golden Path and Qizarate, I never thought of them as basically he same thing.

However sandtrout could still be a tech. They are described as preventing water from contaminating the spice, but this use is not discovered until Leto II. What the tech could do is enable two buildings, one for cultivating he sandtrout (benefits would be increased spice occurence in the cultural limits of the city at a cost of maybe 1 or 2 water). The other building would work in the reverse, for exterminating the sandtrout and decrease spice and increase water by 1 or 2.

These would have good synergy with Arrakis paradise/spice as well, probably could use some better names. I just think sandtrout are pretty important in the books and could be implemented in the game as well.

The Qizarate religion allows a Golden Path building, that provides huge health and happiness benefits but at an economic cost.

I don't think that cultivating sandtrout is very canon.

In the books, sandtrout are just a native creature of Dune. Other than Leto II, humans don't interact with them in any way.
At most, they're treated as a pest; the Fremen put predator fish in all their water supplies in order to kill any sandtrout that get in.

One thread which I threatened to start before is "what terms from the Dune books do not yet appear in the mod?" One such term is "prana-bindu", which we tried and so far failed to agree on a mechanic for. Another one is sandtrout.

Can you think of a different way, besides what mmmchickn has suggested, to add sandtrout to the game?

I don't think that every Dune term needs to be in the game.

I think the sandworm lifecycle is mostly better represented "off-camera".

About only real way that sandworms interact with people is that they can get into water storage and deplete them.

But how about an event; in the same way as there is a granary destroyed event in vanilla that removes all the saved food in a the food box needed to reach the next population level, how about a sandtrout event that destroys water in the water box saved to reach the next pop level?

Top Bottom