Great Engineers

Manufactory is really weak. If food is limiting your production ability, Maritime CSs, Granaries, and Water Mills can provide the food required to cover working a hill or forest tile without wasting your GE. If you're limited by production tiles, one tile isn't likely to make a difference and you're probably better off rushing a wonder, especially since the city in question would likely be very large (few production tiles = many food tiles usually) and therefore would benefit significantly from the "citizens*30" part of the formula.

Besides, a far better way to increase production in a production-poor and large city is to rush-build Statue of Liberty, which makes unemployed citizens 2H. Combined with Civil Society, you get 1F2H citizens with half unhappiness, which is more than enough production to get things done if the city is large enough.

EDIT: Didn't even mention the third option: Golden Age. Timed correctly, it probably nets you more value (hammers and gold) than the Manufactory.

Manufactory is really weak. If food is limiting your production ability, Maritime CSs, Granaries, and Water Mills can provide the food required to cover working a hill or forest tile without wasting your GE. If you're limited by production tiles, one tile isn't likely to make a difference and you're probably better off rushing a wonder, especially since the city in question would likely be very large (few production tiles = many food tiles usually) and therefore would benefit significantly from the "citizens*30" part of the formula.

Besides, a far better way to increase production in a production-poor and large city is to rush-build Statue of Liberty, which makes unemployed citizens 2H. Combined with Civil Society, you get 1F2H citizens with half unhappiness, which is more than enough production to get things done if the city is large enough.

EDIT: Didn't even mention the third option: Golden Age. Timed correctly, it probably nets you more value (hammers and gold) than the Manufactory.

You are completely correct. Golden age or Rush build Statue of Liberty is far better during the Industrial Age.

I frequently get great engineers during medieval, however. This occurs because some games I build stonehenge, or pyramids or a workshop w/ engineer. The wonders aren't as big during medieval, and the manufactory will be up for longer.

I rush with them, for several reasons.
First, it makes sure you actually get the wonder.
Secondly, you get the benefits sooner.
Thirdly, it allows you to get wonders in low production cities.
With the right SP, it will get you +100% culture in those cities at some point, if going for cultural victory.

Per advice, I've been putting them on resources lately. I got an 8 hammer hex with catherine :)

Hill+Iron+Manufactory+Golden Age !

You are completely correct. Golden age or Rush build Statue of Liberty is far better during the Industrial Age.

I frequently get great engineers during medieval, however. This occurs because some games I build stonehenge, or pyramids or a workshop w/ engineer. The wonders aren't as big during medieval, and the manufactory will be up for longer.

Even for 1st or 2nd great person as GE, manufactory is prob the worst option even at medieval. Either you can plan your 1st GP to be GS, or you use your GE to rush better wonders for the immediate benefit. Taj rush is especially helpful during a time infrastructure is needed throughout the empire.

Per advice, I've been putting them on resources lately. I got an 8 hammer hex with catherine :)

That's pretty cool...almost an Ironwork. I rarely work on mines in my games though :(
The total hammer in the cap is higher if keep growing.

Manufactory is really weak. If food is limiting your production ability, Maritime CSs, Granaries, and Water Mills can provide the food required to cover working a hill or forest tile without wasting your GE.

And I'll take that food and run more Engineers. Closed circle.

If you actually need to rush-build it in order to get it, sure. If you're going to get it anyway, why rush-build?

Golden ages are what Great Merchants are for.

If you actually need to rush-build it in order to get it, sure. If you're going to get it anyway, why rush-build?

There's noway of knowning for sure. If you are building the wonder for "it would be nice to have it," then there is prob other better build options. With so many midgame wonders, there's just noway for one to guaranteeing a wonder build, unless play on tiny map or something with 2 civs.

1. Difficulty Level
2. None Pangaea map (can't monitor every AI)
3. 1 Turn rush with GE give your civ immediate help (ie. Statute of Liberty, Taj, HCastle, ChinItza)
4. 1 turn means guarantee wonder in hand
5. no reload needed
6. even Golden Age is better, many players can get more out of it than a lousy +2H tile.

Golden ages are what Great Merchants are for.

LOL only if games are this simple, then everyone's game would be identical.

Heck, haven't thought of that. When you get riflemen, iron becomes near-useless! (unless you have a lot of frigates)

I have done it both ways. It truly depends on your situation. If you are far enough ahead...or it isn't game-critical if you lose a wonder to an AI, then just go for the manufactory. But if there's a wonder you really, really, really want, and you're running neck and neck with an AI...so it's a one or two turn competetion to wonder completion, then I'd save a GE for when I really need that one.

This is a one size does not fit all answer/question...
Although I suppose that is fairly common in this game.

Top Bottom