Harbor Not Working

redwings1340

Emperor
I'm playing as England, and I decided that there was no real reason to build roads between my costal cities and to put my worker focus elsewhere, but when I build my harbor in Nottingham, I'm not getting a city connection.

Do you need a harbor in the capital and in your city to get a connection, or is there something else I'm missing? Thanks!

EDIT: Figured it out, I just needed a harbor in London. This is good to know. Thanks everyone.

You need a harbor in your capital or a harbor in another city that is connected to your capital by road.

To reach Nottingham via a harbour, you need either of two options:
  1. London is on the coast and has a harbour.
  2. Road from London to Canterbury* and a harbour in Canterbury.
* Also works with differently named coastal cities. ;)

On a different note, I just finished a game as Elizabeth using the same approach: harbors instead of roads. The maintenance savings in the early/mid game was very useful. However, whenever an enemy ship would enter my coastal area, I would lose the city connection. This included barbarians. I ultimately built railroads when that tech opened as a backup system and as a quicker way to redeploy my forces.

I think you also need the wheel. Just want to doublecheck you have that.

I think you also need the wheel. Just want to doublecheck you have that.

Ah, yeah, I got messed over in my game as Carthage a long time ago from that requirement. I didn't get the wheel until like mid renaissance or something, and did not understand why my harbor connections weren't working... I figured it out though, I just needed a harbor in London. I created one, and then suddenly my gpt increased by about 20. Thanks everyone!

Top Bottom