Heathen conversion OP?

tlaurila

Warlord
It's somewhat situational, and I'm using Raging Barbarians, but:

I tried going for religion and heathen conversion early on. I thought it would give my missionaries the chance to convert barbarians by using Spread Religions. I was blown away when I noticed just bringing the missionary next to the barbarian unit was enough: One missionary can do infinite conversions! :eek:

My location is relatively heavy on islands, but Communitas maps tend to be. I have about 10 barbarian ships in the seas around me, based from on camps on islands around me. It looks like I'm about to get a Classical age invasion navy/army of ~20 units with just a missionary or two! And I can keep farming camps for units!

Really it seems to me that converting heathens should spend Spread Religion uses. It would still be a good option, converting 450 faith (a missionary) to 2-5 units (if missionary converted all adjacent barbs when spread was used, and each missionary had 2 spreads). Seems on par with buying units with faith.

Good catch! Sounds a bit abusive I have to agree.

I can't remember that one of my priests was ever caught by barbs, but they usually get destroyed, right? What if we give the conversion mechanic a small chance to fail (10 percent maybe?)? This would limit the conversions per missionary.

It would be an easier solution than 2 kinds of charges.

I have never tried that belief. I think I will now.:mischief:

What an interesting way to form an army.

Since this is a vanilla belief has there been any discussions about this being OP in the main forum?

It seems like a decent situationally useful ability, but maybe that's offset by unit maintenance costs and several other factors. It could be OP in the ancient/classical because the barbs unique terrain promos but you wont have a religion that early. Plus these inferior units have the same maintenance costs as your own units and will be expensive to upgrade so they can be competitive on the battlefield. I typcally wouldn't want to capture 6 low XP spearmen at a randomly located barb camp far from roads in the middle ages and have to pay their wages or worry about upgrading them to pikemen.

The thing is in vanilla it's an enhancer belief which means you have to race through the tree to make it worth it soon enough. I did post quite soon after release on that "problem" so it's not a new invention :)old: told you so :D).

When I used this ability, I mostly gifted these units to city states, too costly to keep and takes too long to bring down upon an enemy "zerging" them (usually).

It's a very flavourful and active belief so it should stay, but I agree there needs to be some kind of cap on the ability...

I thought I would give it a go, just to see what the fuss is about.

Wow, too easy. The only problem I faced was, all the units I ended up with were on islands or landmasses separate from my empire and since they didn't have Embarkation they were stuck where they were converted.

Nice idea that may need a bit (or a lot) of tweaking to find it's correct place in the selection tree.

Adding this as a reformation belief allows war to continue regardless of unhappiness. In fact had three riflemen pop up in revolt around the city I had my missionary parked in and they all converted the turn they appeared.

One thing to note: Maybe this is obvious to others, but I had to try it out.

My religion doesn't have Heathen Conversion, but I have a couple of distant cities following the religion that did, so I decided to create a missionary in one (thus carrying the other religion, with HR) and see if he would convert barbs. Nope. Doesn't work. I guess since my religion doesn't have that belief, it doesn't work, even if the missionary does have that belief.

Top Bottom