Hello, I am new to Civ and the King AI keeps getting science victory before 1900 AD

If you are new and playing on king then you wanted a challenge, didnt you?
Whats the problem?

If you are new and playing on king then you wanted a challenge, didnt you?
Whats the problem?

My friend who's had Civ 5 for a fairly decent time and regularly plays against Deity computers says the earliest he's lost to a science victory was a 1940 by Babylon...

He's also full of BS if he's telling you that he lost as Babylon. At science, no less.

Don't play CiV on King if you're new to it. Start on Chiefton or Warlord. Who was your friend playing as? If it's Korea ...

My friend who's had Civ 5 for a fairly decent time and regularly plays against Deity computers says the earliest he's lost to a science victory was a 1940 by Babylon...

Sounds like your friend has more experience and has played for longer. That doesn`t mean you can start where he is now and do as well.

Being new you should start on Easy until you get better.

Being new you should start on Easy until you get better.

But the problem is the computer is so laughably bad strategically that without a large advantage (see: prince) it gets crushed without a lot of thought and that's not fun.

Then play on prince. If large advantages take the fun out of things for you, that should be your level, no one gets any major bonuses, the game is playing field.

On Prince: It's not that the AI doesn't get a large advantage over the human: It does (Happiness)
It's just that the human has its own large unfair advantage over the AI: A working brain.

King is rather high for the first Civ V game ever. Prince is a good level. If you get your head handed too you, but have a good reason why, you're well on the way to mastering it. But if you have no idea where things went wrong, then it's too high a level.

King is rather high for the first Civ V game ever. Prince is a good level. If you get your head handed too you, but have a good reason why, you're well on the way to mastering it. But if you have no idea where things went wrong, then it's too high a level.

I played multiple games before going above prince, it's not like king was the first game I ever played.

But to say I've played a lot would be wrong. There's a lot of things I don't understand and haven't memorized but every game is such an enormous information overload it's hard to actually learn anything.

You never said which expansion pack you are using, if any. I will assume it is vanilla. And as far as I remember I never saw AI winning science victory close to 1900.

Anyway try to set to lower difficulty settings, and if you are winning there without major problems than move up to higher difficulties.

What victory condition are you going for?

Couple of tips to help you keep with AI science wise.

1. Conquering 1 of your neighbours in medieval/renaissance should set you up ahead of AI tech and money wise.
2. AI doesn't have huge science bonuses on king, so their science might be coming from research agreements. Sign RA with AI as well! Porcelain Tower is always nice to have. Invest points in rationalism, unless you are going for culture victory, in which you should be able to win before 1900 anyway.
3. Failing all above if AI is about to win the game, use :nuke: nukes :nuke: and declare war.

Hope that helps.

Game is easy to understand if you have played similar games. I think its even easier to access info this time around. If you have BNW then I guess its a bit confusing as BNW added a lot.

As a fellow noob, I would suggest sticking with prince. I thought it was hard at times but I guess its the sweet spot between a bit of a challenge and a bit easy. The AI is not brutal but it does try to knock you out if you let your guard down.

Also make it a habit to turn on tile yields. Its really helpful and could greatly improve your game.

Top Bottom