Help with a few trading

Ultra54

Chieftain
Can you point me in the direction of finding out how to trade luxuries please? I'm a total newb who loves the game but I can use some help. I've been successful at lower difficulty lvls but I know how easy that is. I want to understand the mechanics of what I am doing.

A luxury is worth 240 gold on Standard speed, 200 on Quick (dunno on the slower speeds). If a leader doesn't accept that then s/he doesn't like you.

Here is the most simple explanation I can give:
1. You must have the luxury: it must be improved. Use a worker and improve the luxury tile. Note: when you settle a city on a luxury, you will automatically get the resource if/when you have the technology required to improve the resource.
2. In the diplomacy drop down, click "diplomacy overview." See which AI has money. This will also show which luxuries they have: you can not trade a luxury to an AI they already have.
3. When you have decided on a trading partner, choose that leader and choose trade. If you have a luxury they don't, on your side you "Luxury Resources" will be illuminated, click it and select the resource you want to trade.
4. Either make an offer by selecting the other AI's items, or ask what the AI will give you for the resource. If the AI has 240 gold, this is generally the top price you will get for a luxury. You may have to settle for gold + GPT if the AI does not have enough gold.

Notes:
-Even if the AI says there is no offer they can give which is fair, you can get them to give you less, which they will appreciate, and can be more helpful than getting full price 10 turns later.
-If you have only 1 copy of a luxury, you will lose the +4 :c5happy: from the resource when you trade it (unless you are the Netherlands). Try to trade luxury resources you have more than one of. Also, time your trades of unique resources (for example: trading gold immediately when mined to buy a settler and getting the additional +4 :c5happy: in 30 turns when the city has grown and it is needed.

Since the AI keeps less gold on hand, you will end up doing more part gold/part gpt trades. For luxuries, here are the "full price" amounts I see:

20 gold plus 7 gpt
51 gold plus 6 gpt
82 gold plus 5 gpt
114 gold plus 4 gpt
146 gold plus 3 gpt
177 gold plus 2 gpt
209 gold plus 1 gpt

If the AI is modestly grumpy, I find they will accept 1 less gpt. Do others see different amounts?

Thanks for the swift response. I have been trading luxuries but I read somewhere in the light bulb thread that a defining light bulb going off moment for this person was when they realized that you could get more out of it(trading luxuries) than a typical one for one thing. I noticed they will only trade luxuries that they have more than one of. So if I have 7 horses and you choose to trade that resource it often it chooses a number such a 5 of those for a trade. Is that a random thing or is there a purpose to it chosing 5 of a given luxury to trade?

Horses aren't a luxury, they're a strategic resources. It chooses 5 as that is the arbitrary amount that the devs decided to be the default. You can trade as many or a few as you like based on if you have use for them. The base price of strategic resources is 45:c5gold: per unit.

Its ok to sell your only copy of a luxury resource, just be aware of the hit to your :). If you have plenty of excess :) or don't mind being a little unhappy for a while or you can hook up another copy of that resource soon it can be a usefull cash injection.

Top Bottom