help...?

king Oosterveld

Chieftain
--IF YOU OFTEN CALL THOSE ASKING FOR HELP NOOBS, DON'T BOTHER READING THIS.--

i got CIV 5 awhile ago, and have around 250 hours on the game. however, I still have not been able do develop a working strategy for anything beyond the difficulty of king. If anyone has some good intermediate tips, ill be happy to take any.

Check signature below.

Maddjinn on Youtube has the best letsplays out there and the CiV "War Academy" on this site will have some good stuff as well. Do some digging through the forums you'll find all kinds of stuff.

Lucid is correct. I watched Maddjinn's videos on Youtube and he taught me more than I could teach myself. I recommend watching the Babylon science victory series. Taught me a lot about population growth and science. As well as social policy timing.

Strategies depend on what version of the game you have, and your playstyle may not fit every strategy.

If you do not have the expansion, I would recommend going to the War Academy here at CFC and forming your own strategy with the advice you find in the articles there.

If you do have the expansion, you will find conflicting advice from many different places, as the "meta" has yet to settle. Furthermore, the game seems better balanced so that each strategy is situational, and no one strategy is over-powered and optimal in all scenarios.

This game is about opportunity costs, as no decision ever gives you a straight-up penalty. What you lose from choosing a certain social policy, prioritizing a tech, building a building, promoting a unit, etc. is not choosing something else. And this applies across categories as well. By choosing research (growth, libraries), you are not choosing units (production, gold) because high food tiles will not also have high production or gold, and constructing science buildings means you aren't making units.

So what the game comes down to is choosing exactly enough in a category so you still have effort to spend on others, and not neglect them. If you are going for a science win, you do not need to much culture, but you certainly want enough to fill out Rationalism (and probably Liberty/Tradition). If you have any more culture than that, you probably didn't build enough units to defend yourself, or you have less science (and thus lose an important wonder).

So obviously the hard part is determining just how much of anything you can afford. That will only come through practice. Take all specific advice you find with a grain of salt. Most importantly, have fun. Don't use a strategy if you don't like playing that way, as that defeats the whole point of playing the game. You don't need to play perfectly to have fun. Besides, that's what the difficulty levels are for, so you will always have a challenge no matter how you play.

This game is about opportunity costs

Indeed. Everything takes turns, and if you use those turns towards something that is giving little to no actual benefit, then they are essentially wasted turns.

My quick tips:

- Don't spend too many turns building settlers/workers. If you need additional cities, "borrow" them long-term from other civs.

- Don't focus too heavily on wonders, especially if you have close neighbors. Many of the wonders appear to have significant bonuses, but don't add up to much in the big picture.

- Focus first on setting up a few core cities, and tech up to National College and universities before focusing on a specific victory condition. It certainly isn't the only way to play, but it is the easiest.

Don't use a strategy if you don't like playing that way, as that defeats the whole point of playing the game. You don't need to play perfectly to have fun.

This is also excellent advice.

- Don't spend too many turns building settlers/workers. If you need additional cities, "borrow" them long-term from other civs.
by "borrow", i assume you mean "invade" and by "long term" you mean forever. if not, what do you mean? capturing settlers?
also, i would like to thank everyone for the advice, i'll test the rest of the strategies and tips later on when i get home.

I think he was speaking euphemistically. He does mean let your neighbors build the wonders for you, and reward them by conquering, pillaging and puppeting them. Every good deed deserves an appropriate reward.

I think he was speaking euphemistically. He does mean let your neighbors build the wonders for you, and reward them by conquering, pillaging and puppeting them. Every good deed deserves an appropriate reward.

Yeah, this. The tips were formed from my experiences getting used to higher difficulty levels. I was a big Zerg Starcraft player back in the day, so my initial focus was on huge macro and infrastructure, but I found in Civ that if you spend too much time trying to expand and build up infrastructure, you are doing more harm than good.

The key with Civ is to let your enemies help you build up your empire.

-Trade excess luxuries to your neighbors and use that gold to purchase military units. If they declare war, they are essentially using their own gold against themselves.

-Let the AI spend time training and moving settlers around while you tech up and build a military. You can't choose the location, but the trade-off of not having to build the settlers/workers and option of puppeting is worth it.

-If Pacal is next to you and spamming wonders, awesome! Tech up to cannons/muskets, then steam roll him. You don't get some of the bonuses (free policy from Oracle, tech from Great Library), but most are useful, free (well, other than that nasty, bloody war), and all without having spent turns building them.

On an extra note, it is possible to play an ICS similar to the Zerg playstyle, but it requires specific tactics and is fairly map dependent.

-Trade excess luxuries to your neighbors and use that gold to purchase military units.

These days I often run quests and give gold to nearby Military CS, then park my first spy there. Often I get unique units from other civs as gifts from them. Is this less efficient in the main then buying military units outright? I still sell all my luxuries, down to the last copy when happy is good, and buy much of what I desire.

These days I often run quests and give gold to nearby Military CS, then park my first spy there. Often I get unique units from other civs as gifts from them. Is this less efficient in the main then buying military units outright? I still sell all my luxuries, down to the last copy when happy is good, and buy much of what I desire.

you could, if you wanted, befriend a holy city-state and a militaristic city state, and get holy warriors as one of your religious perks AND trade with others around you. therefore, you can use civ's $ against them, have faith on your side, and get funded by nearby city states.

The biggest thing I learned from earlier versions of Civ about higher levels is that since the AI has far more production capacity, let the AI city with the most production build the wonders... While you build military to capture the wonders you want...

Play the way you want.

Then...

The jump from King to Emperor is significant, especially if you draw aggressive neighbors. You could be at war within the first 75 turns. And the AI will be able to come at you with a decent sized army that early in the game. Where at King and Prince, you could focus on building a wonder or that extra worker, at Emperor and above, you'll have to pass those up in favor of military. Where you used to be able to beeline straight for the Great Library or The Oracle, your hammers are now needed for that 3rd and 4th archer.

In my experience, north of Emperor is about weathering the initial storm (which is about 2500-3000 years of war). Your opponents will jump out to early leads in nearly every major area. Survive that, take a highly developed city from a neighbor when they overextend and get their military strength halved. Pray for a GS pop earlier rather than later. Play to your civ's unique military strength (i.e. Romans charge out during the classical and early-medieval eras; French during the Renaissance).

The jump from Emperor to Immortal isn't as big. And the jump from Immortal to Deity is barely noticeable unless you're on a small ( particularly Terra) or (any) tiny map.

Top Bottom