Holiday season

mzprox

Prince
I'd like to discuss a possible turn lenght increase for august, especially for the second half. Team Apolyton's most involved players will go on holiday and will not have access to the game. Probably other teams will be in similar situation too. We can probably find subs, but considering several NAPs are just about to expire the following turns might be critical and getting new subs in the game is not optimal unless given precise instructions for every turn which is hard give for someone who is on the beach..

So what would fit for our team is a timer increase up to 168h from august 10 to 25. ofc we would still try to finish the turn asap, so the game would not neccessarly get slower.

We agree in general, but I dont see much reason in setting 168H timer. From 10 to 25 it is 2 weeks. 168H = 1week. So 1 week for 1 side and 1 week for another. I think we can agree to use pauses for this period.

I explain. At the beginning of the turn we put pause. When the player joins he can unpause to perform moves but at the end he must put pause back. The turn finishes when each side presses the button.

BTW Uciv skipped last turn. It will be not exciting if it continues. So something is to be done.

We agree in general, but I dont see much reason in setting 168H timer. From 10 to 25 it is 2 weeks. 168H = 1week. So 1 week for 1 side and 1 week for another. I think we can agree to use pauses for this period.

I explain. At the beginning of the turn we put pause. When the player joins he can unpause to perform moves but at the end he must put pause back. The turn finishes when each side presses the button.

BTW Uciv skipped last turn. It will be not exciting if it continues. So something is to be done.

This is a good suggestion, but I fear what would happen if someone forgot to pause the game after playing their turn. I think the easiest way to do this, to avoid potential reload situations, is to just extend the turn timer for the suggested period. However, a combination of the original suggestion and your suggestion might be possible (eg. Setting the turn timer at 90h, so that if someone forgets to pause the game another team will probably notice at login).

It is very good rule to use in all games. When the game is paused but there is nothing that obstacles to you to make turn then unpause, make turn and set pause back. I mean this is good when it is paused for some reason, but not waiting for reload or admin decision and etc.

I believe that this is serious game and move-maker can remember one simple rule. The timer is already big enough and if someone forgets it wont be big trouble. The problem will be if some teams continue to forget to finish turn :p

We had already few cases where we had to reload the game for someone forgot/did not understand/did not knew the game must be paused with server related issues till now. Long timer is same as pause. The moment all teams are able to play and play their turns and hit EOT, the game advances, no matter if there are 2 or 200 hours on the timer still.

Plus, without the need to pause, no one will get stuck behind a diplo-screens and miss window to play, etc. It is summer, I am on vacation too. As interesting thing, I was just almost got arrested by the local police for looking scary and sitting suspicious using internet on the street in front of one hotel :D

Team Uciv have no particular opinion on this subject. If this may help you, no problem.

@all : enjoy your summer holidays! :)

We are fine with both pauses and increased timer. (pauses could cause problems, diplo screen, forgeting to repause etc, and long timers are bad if teams don't try to end their turn as soon as possible).
There is a chance btw that I will have access to the game after all, but I can not be sure, and I wanted to know maybe other teams would need this increased timer too. If no one else is interested then first let's see how well we can organize our playtime in this period then we may ask for pause/increased timer.

Top Bottom