How many gigabytes do you think the expansion will take?

Vanilla is about 6 gigs. I'm guessing around 1-2.

"Over 9000!!!" :aargh:

You definitely have enough space, but you may want to try and clean out your harddrive or upgrade to a larger one.

The game + all DLC is about five and a half gigs. I'm guessing the expansion will add another three or so.

We know from the DLC that an individual civ is about 30 - 40MB, so for 9 civs that should be about 300MB. The Ancient Wonders pack, with 3 wonders, was also 30MB. we'll get 9 wonders, so that could take it to something like 600MB. Then almost 30 new units, more natural wonders, resources... I don't know how much all that would be, but I don't see the pack staying under a Gigabite.

Beyond the sword included a lot of scenarios, and one of them with completely new artwork (final frontier).
All the DLC contain scenarios too. The 3 wonders take next to nothing in memory, their splash screen may even be heavier than their "physical" representation and implementation together.

300GB seems like very little to me, considering that there will be 9 leader screens, which probably will take at least that much space alone. But ~4GB is a lot. The base game takes ~5GB. So my guess is between 1 and 2 GB.

You also have to factor in the 23 new units, 9 new wonders, etc.

I'd say probably about 100 MB for the wonders alone (30 MB for the three wonders in the Ancient Wonders DLC).

Whether it's 1gb or 3gb, depends what % of the assets are replaced in order to get their new content in. The new art itself is relatively small (as mentioned, on the order of tens of megabytes "per civ", maybe a couple mb for a unit).

But it doesn't really matter. It's not a very useful measurement of new stuff or work. Case in point: Tons of work goes into the game's engine and logic for all your new fancy religion stuff, new/improved systems, etc - and the civ5 exe is 9mb. CvGameCore is 3mb. The Lua+xml that describes the technical/numbers side of ALL gameplay content and UI is about 10-15mb if I remember.

The mean of all the guesses is 1.75 gb so why not go with that

Patches and stuff don't really add on extra, they just replace existing files. Assuming that the expansion will replace a lot of different files, it could be a fairly substantial download, but I doubt it would take up a whole lot of extra room.

Top Bottom