How to Convert Civ4 Buildings into Civ5 Tile improvements

Hi, I'm pretty much stuck at step 12/13. I'm trying to click on Point01 in the Outliner like a madman, but nothing's happening. The Holy Site isn't highlighted afaik:

Spoiler :

What am I doing wrong? :/

EDIT: nvm, I think I actually got it :)

EDIT: Is there any way to use no ground (so, not holy site ground) at all, without messing up the terrain (it shows some kind of square, presumably the one I see in blender)?

Thanks that worked :)

Another question, if you don't mind: I want to combine two different models, each with their own textures. I know this was asked before, but I don't quite understand what needs to be done. Do I attach both models' vertices to the same vertex group? If so, how do I add two different materials to box01?

Right, I think I tried something along those lines and it appears to have worked, thanks ;)

Hi, I have one more question, if that's fine with you:

There are models which use more than 3 .dds files (textures). The Holy Site has three of these ''Box01/Line01/Plane01" Mesh objects under the ''Box01.001''. Since you can only use one texture per mesh object, I'd need more than 3 of these. How can I add more? I mean, it's fine if I only have like 2 .dds files, but in this case I have 6 .dds files.

I tried assigning the imported objects to the parent object (Box01.001), but I think I need to do something funny with armatures and all that. Any idea?

It's a model consisting of six different parts using six different textures. The problem is, I don't really know how to add new ones, but I especially don't know how to make them similar to Box01. Any tips?

You can add multiple files per material? How?

Because I can only add one .dds file in ''diffuse'' and only one material per 'mesh', e.g. Box.01. And since there are 3 meshes, Box01, Line01 and Plane01, I can only add 3 materials, or at least that's what I thought. Sorry if I'm being stupid here, but I need to understand it.

I feel like something needs to be done in blender, not nexusbuddy.

I managed to figure it out in Blender, thanks. Used CTRL + P for both object and armatures :)

Ekmek, thanks much for this tutorial! I have already made some headway converting fantasy tile improvement graphics. The tricky part will be perfecting them; I am trying to use special effects such as the holy site aura but with little success. :(

The compilation of my work thus far can be found here: CiV Fantasy Improvement Graphic Conversions

Hello Ekmek,

Thank you for the draft although could you please let me know an ETA for the full tutorial?
I'm stuck at step 10 where I'm suppose to join a mesh to a group. Despite my best efforts, I can only join two meshes which prevents me to get rid of the holy site mesh afterwards. I'm really eager to be able to convert civ4 building so I look forward to reading you :)

Aight, well... massive 4-year bump, but I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong. I import the .obj into the template .blend, resize, rotate and reposition, but then when I join it to the holy site object, Blender 2.79 automatically assigns all the new mesh's vertices to the Point1 vertex group... which completely defeats the point, because when I select the vertex group and delete everything in it it just deletes the entire joined object, including the mesh I just added. And I can't figure out how to make Blender not smoosh everything into one vertex group.

What do

Aight, well... massive 4-year bump, but I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong. I import the .obj into the template .blend, resize, rotate and reposition, but then when I join it to the holy site object, Blender 2.79 automatically assigns all the new mesh's vertices to the Point1 vertex group... which completely defeats the point, because when I select the vertex group and delete everything in it it just deletes the entire joined object, including the mesh I just added. And I can't figure out how to make Blender not smoosh everything into one vertex group.

What do

Your end goal, for un-animated models, is to have one mesh fully assigned to one bone/vertex group - then delete everything else - this is what is required for you model to export to BR2 and work in game. There are multiple ways to achieve this so don't be too wedded to the steps in this tutorial if they don't work for you. Having the Outliner viewable in a panel might help you understand the structure of your Blender session.

Top Bottom