How to tell what victory to expect from the AI

MKamp

Chieftain
Hi there,

I have only recently started learning this game in all seriousness. But I have yet to win a game on King so I guess I'm still a newbie.

My question is how to get a feel for what victory type the AI is pursuing. I know some civs are best for science like Babylon and some for conquest like Atilla. But I don't think that always means that they will want to win a specific game that way.

How can I tell, in my current game, what victory a certain civ is persuing? In my current king game which I am playing with Korea, I'm pretty sure I can get a science victory IF and only IF the AI doesn't beat me. And especially with diplomatic. I think this is always the most critical to know about, as that is the first victory that will just happen at a certain time.

Thank you!

This might help:

http://civdata.com

Is it updated? I dont know tbh.

If you are of the geek-race (like me), you can look in the folder

Contents/Home/Assets/Gameplay/XML/Leaders/*.xml
*one file pr leader

It has a degree of randomness though and has no value if you tick the "Random personality" box.

most AIs will just go for science victories since they're too slow at achieving any others, regardless of flavours in my experience

you probably don't ever have to worry about an AI winning a diplomatic victory unless alexander is in the game

Don’t the AI objectives change during the course of the game too? AFAIK, it is only with Ideology picks that the player can figure that one VC has be eliminated. But even an Autocracy AI will start building SS parts as the game goes long enough. I have only ever seen Alex win by Diplo. I have lost by CV and SV to many different AI. And, of course, lost my cap to any number of AI...

But OP, what possible difference does it make if an AI is pursing one VC or another? Mostly they thrash around. Both Babylon and Attila can be quite aggressive, but that is not really because they are pursuing a Dom VC.

At King, once you give up building less useful World Wonders, you should be able to win the VC of your choice just by focusing a little bit. It does not matter at all if Korea is in your game aiming for SV. You should be able to outpace them, so matter what your civ.

Thank you for your reply. I have seen this overview before and it is helpful to know the leader traits in general.
But my question was more about one particular game. How can I gauge what Caesar, for example, exactly is aiming for?

This might help:

http://civdata.com

Is it updated? I dont know tbh.

If you are of the geek-race (like me), you can look in the folder

Contents/Home/Assets/Gameplay/XML/Leaders/*.xml
*one file pr leader

It has a degree of randomness though and has no value if you tick the "Random personality" box.

No? I thought that at one point the one who has the most votes for this will automatically become world leader and thus, win.
So if I'm not the host or not allied with the majority of the city states, then someone else will have the most votes and win.
Isn't it not so?

you probably don't ever have to worry about an AI winning a diplomatic victory unless alexander is in the game

How can I gauge what Caesar, for example, exactly is aiming for?
If an AI opens Patronage, assume they are going for DiploVC.
If an AI opens Rationalism, assume they are going for SV.
If an AI opens Aesthetics, assume they are going for CV.
Otherwise, assume the AI is (poorly) pursing a DomVC.

No? I thought that at one point the one who has the most votes for this will automatically become world leader and thus, win.
So if I'm not the host or not allied with the majority of the city states, then someone else will have the most votes and win.
Isn't it not so?
No, that is not so. Getting the Host role of the World Congress, which is a decent perk, only requires majority vote.
Winning World Leader vote (only available after the WC becomes the UN) requires a super majority -- pretty much every CS as ally. As the player, WL is easily blocked simply by buying off two CS so that they are your ally and not Alex’s.

I'm pretty sure I will win my current game. I'm not building many wonders, just some select ones for Science I have and I'm comfortably in the lead with science.
I just hope I will not be beaten by some other Civ with, specifically, a cultural or diplomatic victory. And I don't want to go to war with everyone. I only all but eliminated Elizabeth from the game, basically just because I think she's a snobby b*! (That and she was too close to a big source of aluminum :)

Don’t the AI objectives change during the course of the game too? AFAIK, it is only with Ideology picks that the player can figure that one VC has be eliminated. But even an Autocracy AI will start building SS parts as the game goes long enough. I have only ever seen Alex win by Diplo. I have lost by CV and SV to many different AI. And, of course, lost my cap to any number of AI...

But OP, what possible difference does it make if an AI is pursing one VC or another? Mostly they thrash around. Both Babylon and Attila can be quite aggressive, but that is not really because they are pursuing a Dom VC.

At King, once you give up building less useful World Wonders, you should be able to win the VC of your choice just by focusing a little bit. It does not matter at all if Korea is in your game aiming for SV. You should be able to outpace them, so matter what your civ.

Thank you. This is helpful :)

If an AI opens Patronage, assume they are going for DiploVC.
If an AI opens Rationalism, assume they are going for SV.
If an AI opens Aesthetics, assume they are going for CV.
Otherwise, assume the AI is (poorly) pursing a DomVC.

No, that is not so. Getting the Host role of the World Congress, which is a decent perk, only requires majority vote.
Winning World Leader vote (only available after the WC becomes the WC) requires a super majority -- pretty much every CS as ally. As the player, WL is easily blocked simply by buying two CS off so that they are your ally.

I'm not building many wonders, just some select ones for Science I have and I'm comfortably in the lead with science.
Sounds good! Porcelain Tower plus Hubble should be enough to lock in SV.

I just hope I will not be beaten by some other Civ with, specifically, a cultural or diplomatic victory.
I doubt that will be a problem! In the worse case, you would have plenty of advance warning. No need to wage war. Also, on lower levels, one can loose by score VC if you let the game drag too much.

Top Bottom