How to use the multi-thread K-Mod path-finding in my Mod?

mediv01

Chieftain
I found there are multi-thread K-Mod path-finding in WTP mod based on TPP. But I do not know how to copy it to my own mod.
Should I move the KmodPathFinder.h and KmodPathFinder.CPP
and used it in CvUnit::generatePath()?
Should I change the makefile and ompiler option? Thanks a lot

1701263447005.png

1701263562666.png

@devolution wrote this, so maybe he has something useful to contribute.

I will say that there are WTP specific code, like GLOBAL_DEFINE_MOVE_DENOMINATOR. I think it's called GC.getMOVE_DENOMINATOR() in vanilla BTS. The loop with RouteTypes relies on WTP code, which adds FIRST_ROUTE, NUM_ROUTE_TYPES and the ++ operator to enum types.
PHP:
for (int iRoute = 0; i < GC.getNumRouteInfos(); ++iRoute)
That should do the same, through it's not type safe like in WTP.

@mediv01
Now that is a novel idea, back-porting the multithreaded K-Mod pathfinder to BTS :crazyeye:

But on a more serious note, which mod serves as the foundation for your own mod? I also advise caution, as WTP features significantly more complex 'canMoveInto*' functions and lacks essential caches, particularly for danger checks. This complexity could enhance the effectiveness of multithreading. However, both K-Mod and AdvCiv, especially the latter, are likely more efficient. As a result, multithreading in its current state might not be advantageous. This concern is why I've limited the iteration space, restricting maximum concurrency to just 2 threads. My apprehension stems from the possibility that there may not be sufficient work per thread, considering the overhead associated with TBB's operation (such as work-stealing). If we didn't limit the iteration space (which currently has a maximum of effectively 7), we could face a scenario where tasks are allocated too little work relative to the scheduling overhead.

@mediv01
Now that is a novel idea, back-porting the multithreaded K-Mod pathfinder to BTS :crazyeye:

But on a more serious note, which mod serves as the foundation for your own mod? I also advise caution, as WTP features significantly more complex 'canMoveInto*' functions and lacks essential caches, particularly for danger checks. This complexity could enhance the effectiveness of multithreading. However, both K-Mod and AdvCiv, especially the latter, are likely more efficient. As a result, multithreading in its current state might not be advantageous. This concern is why I've limited the iteration space, restricting maximum concurrency to just 2 threads. My apprehension stems from the possibility that there may not be sufficient work per thread, considering the overhead associated with TBB's operation (such as work-stealing). If we didn't limit the iteration space (which currently has a maximum of effectively 7), we could face a scenario where tasks are allocated too little work relative to the scheduling overhead. I
My base mod is Dawn of Civilization, and it is a mod mod from Rhye's and Fall of Civilization. It contains BUG Mod but it does not contain K-Mod

@mediv01

But on a more serious note, which mod serves as the foundation for your own mod? I also advise caution, as WTP features significantly more complex 'canMoveInto*' functions and lacks essential caches, particularly for danger checks. This complexity could enhance the effectiveness of multithreading. However, both K-Mod and AdvCiv, especially the latter, are likely more efficient. As a result, multithreading in its current state might not be advantageous. This concern is why I've limited the iteration space, restricting maximum concurrency to just 2 threads. My apprehension stems from the possibility that there may not be sufficient work per thread, considering the overhead associated with TBB's operation (such as work-stealing). If we didn't limit the iteration space (which currently has a maximum of effectively 7), we could face a scenario where tasks are allocated too little work relative to the scheduling overhead.
Why multi-thread in path-finding for WTP does not improve the speed. I have read a thread that it claims that the TBB improves 50% of the speed of WTP. Mostly improve in path-finding. Is it that true?

I have read a thread that it claims that the TBB improves 50% of the speed of WTP. Mostly improve in path-finding. Is it that true?
Most likely not. None of the WTP team members announced 50% or any other number for that matter.

i.e. if it's really a 50% improvement, that leaves a lot of room to use part of the gains to include features previously discarded.
This doesn't say that it is 50%. Instead it says that if it is, then the speedup can be used to spend more CPU time on features, which have been discarded for being too slow. It's not a team member making this statement and I'm not entirely sure I agree. I would rather just have the AI working faster.

I also advise caution, as WTP features significantly more complex 'canMoveInto*' functions and lacks essential caches, particularly for danger checks.
For this reason I plan to do a complete rewrite of CvUnit::canMoveInto. However I'm not sure how interesting that would be for BTS mods. After all it will be designed to handle WTP specific issues and WTP has a bloated function to begin with.

Top Bottom