I am new here. The game of Democracy (DEMOGAME) sounds fun. What do I do ?

Rik Meleet

Top predator
Retired Moderator
First of all: Welcome to the Game of Democracy. Also called Demogame or even DG. The DemoGame 5 Main Page

What is the Demogame ?
The Demogame is, simply put, a Vanillla Civilization 3 game, in which the citizens play 1 single game. We try to run a government the best we can, while trying to win the Civilization game.

So we all play?
Yes and no. Yes - We all try to make the game as good and as fun as possible. No - Only 1 person actually plays the turns.

So there is only 1 player who does things the way he / she likes?
No. There are advisors who post instructions the actual player (Designated Player or DP. This is usually the President.) has to follow. We have a Minister of Defense for instance. Also a minister for Trades and a Minister for Finance and several more.

And how do these people become a minister or DP ?
Every month we hold elections. Any registered citizen can nominate registered citizens for the job and if the nominee accepts, you can vote for him/her. The winner of the election hold that office the next month.

Registered citizen ??? - I registered for the forum, so that includes me?
Nearly. The extra thing you have to do is register in the "citizen registry" and you are a citizen of our nation.

What does that mean ? Are there rules ?
What that means and what the rules are, you can read in the "3 books". The 3 books of the previous game are in the link. But it isn't certain we're going to use all of the 3 books. WE are certainly going to use "The constitution", but we are still considering dropping the other 2. The Constitution-thread is still under construction as the discussions and polls are still not completed. They will be soon.

Sounds cool !! Can I join immediately ??
Yes. We have just finished the 4th DG. We are holding discussions on what we want in the upcoming 5th. You can join those discussions. Just go to the Citizen's Section to join the debates. And you can nominate people for offices and when the elections have really started you an vote. Perhaps you get nominated for a position. If you're not nominated by someone else, self-nominating is allowed ;) .

I see "Civ3 - Demo Game IV: Citizens", but there is also "Civ3 - Demo Game IV: Government" and "Civ3 - Demo Game IV: Polls" and "Civ3 - Multi-site Demo Game " - What are those ???
"Civ3 - Multi-site Demo Game" - I'm not going to explain that here.
"Civ3 - Demo Game IV: Government" - This is where the elected officials have their threads. It is where they display the situation in their department and their plans. Also citizens can ask question and complain and request things from the Elected Officials.
"Civ3 - Demo Game IV: Polls" - When a discussion is held (for instance: do we make peace with Nation XXX?) a poll is created to allow citizens to vote for it. The result of the vote will be made into an instruction. The DP will have to act according to the "Will of the people"

And what if the DP or anyone else does not play according to the rules ?
The Judiciary steps in. Think of it as lawyers and judges. Another task is to check if the rules are ok.

How can I become part of the Judiciary ?
There are also nominated and elected for.

OK thanks. Now something else: I see words like "chat" and "turnchat" etc. What do they mean?
The DP plays the turns. But he / she does that publicly, anyone can attend. It is done during a scheduled chat-session on IRC. At the bottom of each page on the forum, there is a small button called "chat room". The session is held in a room (currently #turnchat). If you need help with that, just ask the DG veterans.

Hopefully this is the right place to ask a question...I was reading the CoL and Constitution and found no references to public polls. So why are all polls (or almost all of them) public? Thanks to whoever answers...maybe I didn't read carefully enough.

Ginger_Ale said:
Hopefully this is the right place to ask a question...I was reading the CoL and Constitution and found no references to public polls. So why are all polls (or almost all of them) public? Thanks to whoever answers...maybe I didn't read carefully enough.

Hmmm. I thought you had been around a lot longer than 2 months, GA. ;)

But in answer to your question, no. Public Polls are not mentioned in the Constitution or the Code of Laws. Since CFC upgraded the forums to vBulletin Version 3.0.3, public polling has been an option for anyone to use as part of their poll. One thing public polling allows is for a registered citizen to ask a Mod to change their vote, if perhaps they clicked on the wrong option. It also allows all citizens to track the way our Office-holders vote. This aids us in determining their re-election status.

As access to public polling is available to everyone, it can't be seen as discriminatory or only for a privilaged group. It's part of a Japanatican citizen's right to free speach. As there is no rule against using Public Polling and there are obvious benefits, it has been seen as a logical choice of many pollers here in DG5.

Hehe, yep.

So if I become a minister/deputy one day, in the polling area, I don't have to use public polling to determine what tech to research next, what to trade, where to settle, etc? Alright. :) Thanks Cyc.

Ginger_Ale said:
Hehe, yep.

So if I become a minister/deputy one day, in the polling area, I don't have to use public polling to determine what tech to research next, what to trade, where to settle, etc? Alright. :) Thanks Cyc.

Well, of course, we as the little folk would like a public poll. Seeing how the people we vote for are doing for us is always a good thing.

Civ3 , the basic version. They are just being clever to sound as sophisticated civ3 consumers, but do not take that seriously.

Provolution said:
Civ3 , the basic version. They are just being clever to sound as sophisticated civ3 consumers, but do not take that seriously.

:confused: :confused: Its called Vanilla Civ because Vanilla = plain flavor, so Vanilla civ is Plain old Civ.

Top Bottom