I hate the zulus.

First time i see this modifier. :lol:

How did the whole thing go?

Oh, Gatlings and Rifled Cannons sorted his Impi out quickly...in that playthrough, part of Zululand got annexed into the German Empire...

You made the diplomatic error of assuming that just because you didn't deliberately (or knowingly) do anything to tick off your neighbors, that they wouldn't bother you. This was quite naive :D

Even if you carefully tread lightly with everyone else, you can still run afoul of these things:

1) They may be vicious, aggressive conquering AI's with a programmed preference for making a snack out of anyone nearby, regardless of how nice you are (Shaka, Montezuma, etc.)

2) They may covet your lands (most AI's will harbor this against you if they are nearby)

3) You share borders with them (you're preventing them from expanding, so they will dislike you

4) Your military is significantly weaker than theirs, so they think you're an easy mark

5) You built wonders they coveted, or you've just built a nice amount of wonders and they decide those wonders would look better within their borders than yours (aka: 'coveting your lands and wonders')

6) Your number and size of cities is small compared to theirs (another sign of weakness in their eyes, even when you actually aren't weak)

There are other things too that will affect your likelihood of getting invaded, but that's most of them. And the AI can be quite sneaky, and show you only neutral or friendly-appearing modifiers in the diplomacy screen, even as they are about to stab you in the back (or front). One thing to remember about civ AI's... they are all rabid, opportunistic dogs at heart, and need to either be put down, or stifled with a good defense.

It should be noted that while Shaka is insanely aggressive and unfriendly, he's also very, very loyal. If you manage to become friends with him he will be your friend for the entire game.

It should be noted that while Shaka is insanely aggressive and unfriendly, he's also very, very loyal. If you manage to become friends with him he will be your friend for the entire game.
Until you are the only two civs remaining on the map :backstab:

I had done NOTHING wrong, infact, I didn't have a single negative modififer on him. I didn't even settle anywhere near him.
What did I do wrong?

What Jews did wrong to Hitler IRL?

Something similar can be told about lots of military conflicts which were simply based on political reasons or "lebensraum" greed.

If you want peace, prepare for war.

Zulu are now the only civ where if I see them in my game, I just say 'oh sh!t' and almost rage quit (game usually ends with me dying anyways). In most of my game, the zulu have a really good play where they have been both tech and military leader, and end up running away with the game. If they come for me, it just slows me down because I have to spend so many resources to fighting them off (citadels are key). Or they build early GL, massive empire, and build an infrastructure of production and tech that I can't match. Hate seeing AI zulu in my games. Especially mass military Zulu that also manages to build multiple wonders. I would like to see other civs using the Zulu flavors, and see how they end up.

I like your attitude, and I may offer some advice. If you're going after Shaka, there's two times to do it.

1) Before he gets Civil Service
2) After you get Rifling.

In the period between those two things, you can look forward to a seemingly endless wave of Impi. I've had to fight him at that time, and I can say only that I was grateful to be Aztec with full Honor.

Yup. In my last game I started next to Shaka. He invaded me no less than five times (3 of which took place during that deadly period you mention) throughout the course of the game, razing two of my cities in the process, and I never had the military resources to do anything more than drive him out of my territory. Plus he took down both Portugal and Greece. (I had NEVER seen an AI stand up to Alex before!)

Shaka is the number one target for AI bribes. Whether you bribe him to take on the world, or the world to take him on, you need to keep that bastard busy.

NB: Sometimes, you'll bribe the world to take Shaka on and Shaka will win. These things happen.

Last game i've embargoed city states, shaka went bankrupt :D I so love how budged deficit kills your science :)

Top Bottom