I'm not doing anything special for Diplomatic Victory

redwings1340

Emperor

The diplomatic victory condition seems ridiculously overpowered to me, at least on Emperor or below levels right now. Without an official religion or a forbidden palace, I got 13 votes extra to get the diplomatic victory. Currently in this game I am close to the cultural victory and not really near the science victory, but this is the third time the world leaders vote has come up where I've had enough to win (I abstained on the first two votes because I wanted to win a different way).

I feel like in multiplayer games, this is probably a good target, as someone dominating the world congress in this way is unlikely with other players in the game, but when playing against the computer, I feel that +3 or +4 for globalization, host, a world ideology or (possibly and) religion, and every city state should be the base minimum for diplo victory, giving people the possibility to get more votes by the way world leader voting works (+1 vote for the top two votegetters every time I think) and by the Forbidden Palace.

Thoughts? This victory just seems inevitable for me in recent games, as I've found that city states are just so strong even without this victory condition, and I've wanted them all to make sure I don't get messed up in the world congress.

Yeah, I've run into this problem on Immortal, too. I have so much gold from trade routes later in the game that I can easily ally myself with more than enough city-states to win the Diplomatic victory before I can win Science. It's just too easy.

I haven't had a Cultural game get that far, though. Cultural games still tend to require less science than do the others. I've never had to build an Airport. :(

It's very easy to get by my opinion as well - although if an AI goes for it too, it's a real pain to get. Especially if they utilize gunboat diplomacy.

The problem, I think, is that the AI pays little attention to City-States unless it wants a diplomatic victory. They should actively try to wrench to CS's from the player when they're dominating the WC, through either gold, quests, spies or military.

I've had an issue with this as well. Especially when going for culture victories, I often just shrug, and win via UN because I can. Here's a random idea. I've had fun trying to force ideology switches. What if world leader votes only unlocked if every meaning civ shared an ideology? You'd have to add some additional options for higher difficulty levels to force those switches (as sometimes the AI can be stubborn), but this would add an interesting dynamic and be a bit more realistic. I mean really? An autocratic country would recognize a UN appointed Freedom World Leader?

Oh, interesting. I think I'm going to play that way next time, and only vote myself world leader under those conditions. Otherwise I'll give myself enough votes to get the additional vote next world congress, but not enough to get the win. Thanks!

Top Bottom