Indonesian bonus resources and trading in general

Makavcio

Prince
I've got one simple question about Indonesia. They were kind enough to settle 2 little cities on my continent. Will I take over their bonus resources or will they get destroyed in process of conquest of these cities?

There's also a thing about trade in general that bothers me. AI never seems to have any bonus resources available for trade. Indonesia has just settled, should get one bonus resource for trade but there is only one copy available.

Let's say it's normal because there was a couple of AI civs after Indonesia's turn and mine. They could have beaten me to it. There's something worse, though. In my previous game Russia had access to 7 improved sources of copper. They had only 1 copy of the resource available for trade, even though there were only 5 civilizations left in game. Similar things happen all the time and my resource trade in comparison with G&K is almost nonexistent. Does anyone else have issues with trade or feels that it's become a shady business?

You can mouse over the city and see the bonus resource on the city tile. These cities, if taken, cannot be razed (like capitals) and the bonus becomes yours. I assume it is two units, but only ONE city on any continent gets it, so take the right city!

I might have to add Indonesia to the list of civs to add to my opponents (along with Sweden) in the advanced settings. I love it when putting a civ in the game as an opponent give me a benefit. Especially when the benefit involves me taking over cities they decide to settle on my behalf! I also like it when the AI decides to build wonders for me in nearby cities.

I have definitely noticed the same thing (AIs never having extra luxuries, trading them instantly to another AI). Formerly you could get a lot of lux trades going by exploring early and keeping the trades going as the AIs would take forever to find each other, but now the world congress seems to make it easier for them to just trade everything with everyone.

I certainly wish there was a bit of leeway for the player here, maybe have the AI propose lux trades instead of always trading with other AIs.

I have noticed it too. Excess lux among AI's are extremely hard to come by. I also hate that every time a "friend" want one of your luxury resources, they simply asks for it without ever offering something in return, even if they have some. It's such a hassle, because I always have to turn them down, close the dialog, then initiate another dialog to see if they have something I need, and then (if they have any) offer a trade. It's just one word: FAIL!

ossmobilus:

In general, when an AI comes asking me for a luxury, I give it. It's an opportunity to get a long-lasting, strong, and unique diplomacy bonus. That way, I can afford to piss them off later (warmonger?) without completely shutting down every diplomatic channel.

Piling on diplomacy bonus in obvious ways (give the AI when it asks, give them luxes for free) prevents annoying things like chain denouncements.

In the various games that Indonesia has been in with me, they have neglected to found any cities off-continent. I have a cunning plan to steal their UA, which I haven't enacted so far.

known:
1) Their unique resources are formed in their first three off-shore cities, including ones by conquest.
2) These cities are un-razable.
3) When Indonesia loses one of these cities to a competitor, the competitor gains full use of the unique resources in that city.

The Plan:
1) found 3 cities in good spots on different landmasses from Indonesia.
2) Surround them with naval units
3) while the cities are still low-level gift them to Indonesia. Indonesia cannot raze them and will be forced to puppet or annex.
4) Declare war on Indonesia and take back the cities you gifted to them. Because they were originally your cities, they will revert back to your control without the need for a Courthouse. And since they were Indonesia's first 3 cities on different landmasses, they will have the unique resources.
5) These resources are now yours.

I have noticed it too. Excess lux among AI's are extremely hard to come by. I also hate that every time a "friend" want one of your luxury resources, they simply asks for it without ever offering something in return, even if they have some. It's such a hassle, because I always have to turn them down, close the dialog, then initiate another dialog to see if they have something I need, and then (if they have any) offer a trade. It's just one word: FAIL!

Last game, Sweden asked for a "minor" gift of 66gpt. :lol: :nono:

I don't think they even try for other luxuries. I was near Darius tonight and had picked out a superb site for my next city. 3 crab, iron and a natural wonder. Darius got the settler out first and built the city next to the iron and NW..away from the coast. The only thing I could think of was he already had a crab in his capital and didn't care.

You have a good point about the ui..it would be nice to make a counter offer from the trade screen

I haven't played as Indonesia yet. What happens if you settle on marble for example? Do you get both resources?

Top Bottom