Installing on Linux?

I have it working through steam using proton-ge. Other protons are probably fine too. Would probably work similarly through lutris. I installed some stuff with protontricks (you can also do it with winetricks):
protontricks 8800 corefonts lucida tahoma d3dx9 msxml3
8800 is the steam game code, not required if using winetricks. d3dx9 was necessary to prevent black terrain. The fonts are necessary in general for civ 4 to not have messed up fonts. There might be some redundancy or something unnecessary in there.

Also make sure the mod is installed in the "Beyond the Sword/Mods" directory, not in "My Games" or anything equivalent. It should be under the directory with Civ4BeyondSword.exe e.g. "/home/$USER/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/common/Sid Meier's Civilization IV Beyond the Sword/Beyond the Sword/Mods/Realism Invictus"

I am also using WINEDLLOVERRIDES="msvcr71=n" %command% as the launch command. I think that DLL override fixed something but not sure.

I may have forgotten something, so if you have a particular error I can try to help (no guarantees of course :lol:)

I have it working through steam using proton-ge. Other protons are probably fine too. Would probably work similarly through lutris. I installed some stuff with protontricks (you can also do it with winetricks):
protontricks 8800 corefonts lucida tahoma d3dx9 msxml3
8800 is the steam game code, not required if using winetricks. d3dx9 was necessary to prevent black terrain. The fonts are necessary in general for civ 4 to not have messed up fonts. There might be some redundancy or something unnecessary in there.

Also make sure the mod is installed in the "Beyond the Sword/Mods" directory, not in "My Games" or anything equivalent. It should be under the directory with Civ4BeyondSword.exe e.g. "/home/$USER/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/common/Sid Meier's Civilization IV Beyond the Sword/Beyond the Sword/Mods/Realism Invictus"

I am also using WINEDLLOVERRIDES="msvcr71=n" %command% as the launch command. I think that DLL override fixed something but not sure.

I may have forgotten something, so if you have a particular error I can try to help (no guarantees of course :lol:)
This doesn't make sense. There are multiple local directories with that, but the RI installer won't allow me to navigate to any of them. I can paste the folders into the mods area, but launching it from CIV IV just gives me base BtS with the "Realism Invictus" text in the upper right of the screen. Nothing happens.

Hmm, no luck for me either. I'm trying to get it going on steam deck. I have the mod installed in the location listed and ran the protontricks command. But, while loading the mod, it seems to get hung up on the "Init XML" step and then crashes saying "Error loading shader libraries".

Any ideas?

With protontricks & installing the game directly into the steamapps/common folder, it works. You'll have to trick a bit to see the steam folder, via protontricks 8800 winecfg => drives => show dot files.

With protontricks & installing the game directly into the steamapps/common folder, it works. You'll have to trick a bit to see the steam folder, via protontricks 8800 winecfg => drives => show dot files.
I don't think I understand how to do this. Can you simplify it with some baby steps? I'm only "OK" with Linux.

I set out the robot overlord (ChatGPT) on the task, and I think it's pretty decent:
  • Locate the Steamapps/Common Folder: The steamapps/common folder is where Steam installs your games. Its typical location is ~/.steam/steam/SteamApps/common. However, it might be hidden due to the settings of your file explorer. Therefore, to make it visible, you will need to tweak some settings, which is where the next step with Protontricks comes in.
  • Use Protontricks to Access the Folder: Now you'll need to make some changes to make the folder visible. You'll use the command protontricks 8800 winecfg for this. This command does a few things:
    • protontricks: This is the program you're running.
    • 8800: This is the game id for the game you want to modify settings for. The number 8800 is just an example, you need to replace this with the actual id of your game. You can find game IDs from the game's Steam store URL.
    • winecfg: This is a command that opens the configuration for Wine, a program that Proton is based on.
  • Configuring Wine via Protontricks: After running the protontricks 8800 winecfg command, a GUI will appear. Navigate to the 'Drives' tab and locate the drive mapping for your steam folder. There, check the 'Show dot files' option. This will allow the system to show hidden folders which names start with a dot (.).
  • Install the Mod into the steamapps/common/Sid Meier's Civilization IV Beyond the Sword/Beyond the Sword Folder: Now you can install the game directly into the /home/$USER/.local/share/steam/steamapps/common/Sid Meier's Civilization IV Beyond the Sword/Beyond the Sword/ folder. This can usually be done by changing the installation location in the game's installer. The path is separated with \ inside wine instead of /. Pick the "/" drive from the drive list.
  • Load the mod: Under "Advanced" pick "Load Mod", and select "Realism Invictus"

I set out the robot overlord (ChatGPT) on the task, and I think it's pretty decent:
  • Locate the Steamapps/Common Folder: The steamapps/common folder is where Steam installs your games. Its typical location is ~/.steam/steam/SteamApps/common. However, it might be hidden due to the settings of your file explorer. Therefore, to make it visible, you will need to tweak some settings, which is where the next step with Protontricks comes in.
  • Use Protontricks to Access the Folder: Now you'll need to make some changes to make the folder visible. You'll use the command protontricks 8800 winecfg for this. This command does a few things:
    • protontricks: This is the program you're running.
    • 8800: This is the game id for the game you want to modify settings for. The number 8800 is just an example, you need to replace this with the actual id of your game. You can find game IDs from the game's Steam store URL.
    • winecfg: This is a command that opens the configuration for Wine, a program that Proton is based on.
  • Configuring Wine via Protontricks: After running the protontricks 8800 winecfg command, a GUI will appear. Navigate to the 'Drives' tab and locate the drive mapping for your steam folder. There, check the 'Show dot files' option. This will allow the system to show hidden folders which names start with a dot (.).
  • Install the Mod into the steamapps/common/Sid Meier's Civilization IV Beyond the Sword/Beyond the Sword Folder: Now you can install the game directly into the /home/$USER/.local/share/steam/steamapps/common/Sid Meier's Civilization IV Beyond the Sword/Beyond the Sword/ folder. This can usually be done by changing the installation location in the game's installer. The path is separated with \ inside wine instead of /. Pick the "/" drive from the drive list.
  • Load the mod: Under "Advanced" pick "Load Mod", and select "Realism Invictus"
Wow, cool. What was the prompt you asked?

Could you expand this for someone being "OK" at Linux?

^ and edited the last part so the folder would be correct and added the "load the mod" part.

Any luck running Realism Invictus on Linux? I can't seem to figure out how to get it going.

I have followed the instructions in this thread.

Running RI 3.601 on PopOS 22.04 with GOG version of BtS and both the mod installed via the official installer, as well as the version compiled from SVN r5382.

Haven't noticed any problems so far, with the caveat that I haven't gotten deep into the game yet - mostly tinkering with the codebase.

Top Bottom