Iron Pen 6: The Lost & Found Challenge - Stories, Comments, and Voting

Iron Pen Challenge 6: Karate Bovine vs. Philosopher (cast 1 vote for each writer)

• Karate Bovine: A (5 pts.)

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • Karate Bovine: B (4 pts.)

• Karate Bovine: C (3 pts.)

• Karate Bovine: D (2 pts.)

• Karate Bovine: F (1 pt.)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Philosopher: A (5 pts.)

• Philosopher: B (4 pts.)

Votes: 2 50.0%
  • Philosopher: C (3 pts.)

• Philosopher: D (2 pts.)

• Philosopher: F (1 pt.)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Valka D'Ur

Hosting Iron Pen in A&E
Retired Moderator
5...4...3...2...1...Ding! Time's up.

CFC's latest Iron Pen Competitors have now finished their stories and are eagerly awaiting your comments and the outcome of the voting!

Please welcome the competitors for this challenge:

Iron Pen Karate Bovine
Iron Pen Philosopher

who have submitted entries incorporating the mystery theme Lost & Found. :)

This round of Iron Pen was inspired partly by an assignment given to a group of students by author Harlan Ellison during a 1974 session of the Clarion Writers' Workshop and partly because I've misplaced a particular book I really wanted to read (I know it was here somewhere <grumble, mutter>...). So please join our Iron Pen authors as they offer their own stories of what has been lost and found.

Comments/critiques: Please keep in mind that the main objective of Iron Pen is to give the writers constructive feedback on their stories. Please say why you liked or didn't like the stories. What changes would you suggest, if any? If you were writing a story on this theme, would you have done so similarly to the way the two current competitors have, or would you take another approach entirely?

Judging:

When judging, you may wish to consider these criteria, among any other personal preferences you might have:

Length. Did the story meet the minimum required length? Did it exceed the maximum length? This requirement is meant partially as a way to keep the competition fair, as it's harder to judge fairly if one story is (for example) 2000 words and the other only 500 words. Also, if a writer wants to submit stories professionally, there will be length restrictions involved in that. It never hurts to start practicing writing to meet specified requirements.

*Note: Both stories have met the minimum/maximum word counts.

Mechanics. This is a “presentation” criterion. A story that is good in terms of plot, characters, and theme may have typos, formatting errors, etc. which can distract the reader. No matter if the story is written for recreation or for professional submission, proofreading matters.

Characterization: Do you think the characters are believable? Has the author succeeded in making the reader care what happens to them?

Secret Theme: Do you think the author used the theme effectively?

Entertainment: This is the major criterion. The main goal of any story is to entertain the reader and provide an interesting reading experience. Do you think the author succeeded in doing this?

Voting: The voting/scoring is explained below, after the second story.

And now, on with the stories!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~​

LOST AND FOUND: Happiness.

by Iron Pen Karate Bovine​

This is a story about me. I can already hear your excitement.

Still. I was...well, happy. Or, at least, had the illusion of being happy.

You know, you think that everything’s perfectly okay, but then it turns out that it isn’t. At all. Ironically, it wasn’t really some sort of sudden realization. Maybe I knew it all along, and all it took was something that would just...unlock it.

In this case, as banal as it might seem, it was music made me realise what my mind so fervently rejected. Pink Floyd, to be exact. You know, when you’re a certain age (god, this makes me sound like I’m a dinosaur or something. I’m not.), you’re just highly affected by music, no? The song that would “destroy” my happiness would be “How I Wish You Were Here”.

I think we’ve all heard it at some point, but on that day, it made me realise that my life is crap. It’s awful, and there’s only darkness coming on. No light in the tunnel. The singer is longing for someone to come back - perhaps passed away, or somewhere faraway from here. But it is then that I realized. There’s nobody that I could wish to be here now - my father’s dead, and he’s...well, he wasn’t a role model in any way. He had learnt that he has went into a deep hole, but too late, too late! I had loved no one...and, in all fairness, probably no one did love me, in the romantic way. So as to speak.

Lonely. Lonely is the word I’d use for my life so far. I was a loner. I’m stuck here in this town where nobody likes me. As clichéd that might sound. Life imitates art, after all.

So, you’d be asking yourselves (if you reached so far), how did I become happy again? What made me claw out of this desperate state?

It was...oddly enough, the Internet. For year now, I’ve been part of the community called Imperium Offtopicum, here on this fine forum. They are good people. They, well, they’ve accepted me as a part of it. Integral to this community is their chat, where most of the contact between IOTers happens. But it’s not just a place to discuss games. No. It’s not uncommon that some of its members would often drop off their emotional struggles, the things that bother them or make them happy.

Until that day, I’ve never truly felt the need to do so. I always thought that I was “strong”. That I was, well, “sane” and “balanced” person, who has no need of such things. But that day...I felt that if I didn’t get it out of my system, I’d legitimately go insane. Or crazy. Maybe I’d just shut down..more than ever.

But it is there that I found people who supported me. It’s so odd. I always thought there’s no one out for me. And, well, that’s partially true. Not in the..ah, how should I say it - meatspace? But on the Internet? As sad as it might sound - yes. Where people in the “real life” would scoff at me, the people on IOTChat told me good words. They praised my writing. It felt good. I mean, it’s not that they ever said that they hated it. But...I don’t know. That was a show of niceness that I certainly didn’t expect then. Maybe I was just too blind. Or paranoid. Thinking that they say that I’m good at this merely because it’s “polite” to do so.

Of course, it wasn’t a magical and sudden return to normalness. The following days were still shaky. I didn’t feel well for days. I was unfocused, and whatnot. Not to mention that my classmates weren’t helping.

Yet...I regained the so longly coveted happiness. Sure, maybe it’s illusionary, but who cares? We’re all gonna die. Might as well enjoy life. As clichéd and bad as this might sound. I’ve learnt, that, indeed, there’s people I could wish to be here, for me. Not as a romantic interest, for sure, but as friends with whom I can safely share my feelings with. My pains.

And being able to share your pains, your problems, your emotions - isn’t that what makes us happy, in the end?

The King is a Fink

by Iron Pen Philosopher​

It all began with my brother's breakup with Lisa, which was a DOOZY. Not for fireworks, but I averaged an hour every night at bedtime all of a mid-90s October sitting on the edge of his bed listening to him cry, literally holding his hand.

I'd been trying to get him to break it off for months, for reasons of - um, we're white as sheets and she wasn't and racism is ugly and we weren't the racists, and she shouldn't have been listening to friends and family who were, jerking my little brother around playing push-me pull-me all the time. She was super-hot and bright, a good sport, a real prize otherwise, and it was just a rolling human tragedy all around, my brother being quite an excellent specimen himself and the two of them being genuinely into each other in a big way.

-I hope poor Lisa's had had a happy ending, since.

A month later he came back from a week's visit to his old stomping grounds in Manhattan with a picture of a curly-haired girl and a foolish (given such a brief acquaintance and the rebound thing) instant attachment. I was put in the same situation as during Lisa hot&cold, having to be diplomatic; "This is a bad idea so soon."

I met "Curly" almost a year later and got to know her fairly well, and she was a real broken piece of work; at least she was laudably free of the usual Yankee hang-ups against us natives of the southeastern US, so no prejudice an issue this time. -But wow, family-daddy issues and insecurity to such a pathological degree that it was your problem, too, if she was in your life, as she'd been inserted into mine against my will. Clung to my brother, the only brother I have in the whole world, like a barnacle; even when I was visiting from another state and she'd been seeing him all the time. She knew she was doing it, crowding our precious brother-time, and genuinely felt bad about it, (we actually discussed it) but couldn't stop.

There's this Greek tragedy thing on Momma's side of the family where nobody, NOBODY, not my siblings, my cousins, my mother, my aunts and uncles, even my grandmother, marries well. (It's begun with the next generation as well.) -Much as I loved Grampa, he didn't treat Gramma quite right, and their descendants have frequently not even managed good enough for them, let alone a good fit, sorry Daddy (who truly was good enough, but a poor fit for Mom).

Now, my brother has a deep need for his alone time, and there was history of him reacting rather savagely when my lonely self got needy. -And here he is with a lady who literally left him alone at no waking hour she could manage, years into the relationship, even knowing he'd like some guy time with his visiting brother who isn't around every day. She only went away to go home and sleep (I actually encouraged her to sleep down the hall while I was there and save herself the schlep, them being big Christians, but my presence making it proper).

Of course he went and married his rebound girl who was thoroughly wrong for him like an idiot. He's a tactical genius, the guy is, in making his plans work, but a strategic moron in choosing goals. Suddenly, another unfit person is forced into my family and my life permanently, interfering and making herself my problem. She liked us fine (it was mutual), but issues, issues, issues of her insecurities meant that she was never going to be comfortable around us, and suddenly and increasingly over a few years it went far beyond the standard 'married now and don't have time' stuff everybody does. If she'd been less of a barnacle (I don't use the term casually) he could have come home to visit a lot more often, and would have liked to - but no, she didn't want to come and he couldn't come without her, and that she knew it and felt horrible about it didn't help me see my only brother once in a while, the damn selfish thief.

There were deaths in the extended family over these years, the last three grandparents, both sides scattering, to my distress, as I've come to regard friends as ephemeral from experience, and family, crap as it is, as all I have that's forever.

...They had a baby, whom I'm SO glad Daddy got to meet while he still knew what was going on before his death, and who informs the current situation profoundly, but all I'll say about that is that I'm an old bachelor with no prospect of kids of my own and my universe changed the first time I held her in my arms; I hope to God that I never have to set foot again on the wrong side of the continent, and my heart is in San Francisco...

He doesn't call, it's a shock when he bothers to answer an email, things got bad between us in the last 12 years since they moved out there. I found out he'd graduated with his doctorate (I said he was a genius, just wish HE knew it, because that would change EVERYTHING, including not spending years getting a PhD. to prove I wasn't the only smart one) in December, in true dysfunctional family style, months after my mother and sister knew.

They're finally coming home this summer for an indeterminate period while he looks for work in the region. -Next door, she hasn't changed, but I'll take it. I'm working at managing my expectations, this is a recipe for another killing heartbreak with three inconsiderate people holding my heart hostage, but I can't help but hope that something stolen from me is coming back, and he'll finally remember again that month of holding his hand when it all started.

Voting:

How this works: This is an anonymous, multiple-choice poll. Please vote for one choice for each contestant. That's 2 votes in all. VBulletin isn't set up for multiple questions within the same poll, so this is the only way to do this without having separate threads for each story.

The poll choices represent scores from 1-5 points, on a scale of how well you think the story met the judging guidelines outlined above.

A = 5 points
B = 4 points
C = 3 points
D = 2 points
F = 1 point

How the scoring works is that the totals for each grade will be added up and used to arrive at an overall score. It is possible for a tie to happen, and if it does, I will not be casting a tie-breaking vote.

Please do not vote more than twice, as that would result in unbalanced (and unfair) votes.

Please take the time to offer comments and constructive feedback, as well as voting. The people who compete in these contests work hard on their stories, and appreciate knowing what readers think of them.

The votes are appreciated, folks, but some feedback is also helpful.

Yes. I can ask Plotinus to extend it, though.

It's hard to know what to say about two, count 'em, two, first-person narratives.

I feel safe in assuming everyone was hoping for a couple of neat little short-short stories like most of the previous Iron Pens. These aren't bad or anything - they have plots and some characters, they obviously have deep meaning to the authors, and they certainly fill the requirements of the contest and are stories, which I believe isn't even required. There's a lot of passion showing, and that's great.

HowEVER - in this context, first-person can be a weak choice. Larry Niven wrote Neutron Star in first -and won a Hugo- but he's Larry Niven and made it work. I figure, do not know but fairly confident, that professional editors tend to stop reading when they see first person from a nobody. When it works it works, but better to master third person omniscient before you trifle with the easy amateur style choice. [shrugs] I notice that when I'm reading fanfic, unless it's very, very good...

Did either of you even bother to make anything up? These look suspiciously true --- which again, isn't against the ground rules or anything, but --- I expected stories, in the fiction sense, and can't help feeling disappointed.

Either might have been saved from those pedantic quibbles of mine had there been action "onstage" and dialogue. I suppose there was neither room nor time for that - and it seems the real problem may have been lack of a Good Idea to work with - and that's probably what happened to two people independently; had to go with the best idea that had occurred as deadline loomed, perhaps knowing it was a bit of a copout.

I think, outside the confines of the contest, what we have here is more the outlines of good stories; convert some of the narrative into full scenes following the 'show, don't tell' principle and generally growing the plots into the 3D high resolution that makes a little movie play in the readers' heads. THAT, I suspect, would make for worthwhile reading. The traditional story format, even in first-person, would make both or either look like something more than unusually long and proofread forum posts, and be a whole new ballgame.

Both Karate Bovine and Philosopher display the sophisticated use of language that indicates they're capable of more (though Philosopher; run-on sentences much? Was that a stylistic choice? Perhaps too subtly-done, if so) as obvious readers who've seen a lot of it done right in their times. Expanding what you've got above into real stories outside the length and time constraints of Iron Pen seems a thing worth doing. :yup:

Alright then, well since I already know who karate bovine is, I can't fairly grade the stories on the poll, but I will still try to lay my thoughts out about the stories

Lost and Found: Happiness
This can afford to say more than it does. There is no sense of why the author is upset, and shift to talking about his/her writing seems random and out of place. Other than that this story flows smoothly. I give a 3.5 rounded up to 4.

The King is a Fink
Too long. Could do with some trimming, or it might just be the run-on sentences that increase the length for me. I do think the narrator in this one has more of their personality revealed, but I dislike that personality, so I can't entirely think of it as a positive. This one doesn't flow as smoothly, but still well enough. I give it a solid 3.

I voted. Feedback isn't easy for me on these. I don't know what to say. Neither reads as a piece of fiction. That isn't to say that they're not decently written, but rather that they aren't really stories. More like chapters in an autobiography. :dunno:

Hi, folks:

The voting phase is over, and it's time to declare the results. This was a very close contest, and both authors chose to do very personal stories. The only way this could have been closer was if it had been a tie (ties are possible in Iron Pen, though we haven't had any yet).

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Four people voted, and the results are as follows:

Iron Pen Karate Bovine received 14 points for LOST AND FOUND: Happiness..

Iron Pen Philosopher received 13 points for The King is a Fink.

Therefore, it is my pleasure to declare that Iron Pen Karate Bovine is the winner of Iron Pen 6: Lost & Found. Congratulations! :)

But wait... Just who are these writers, really? They used Pen Names, so as not to influence any votes. Well, now that this round is over, it's time to reveal their true identities.

Please welcome Tolni, aka Karate Bovine!
Please welcome Buster's Uncle, aka Philosopher!

Thank you to the writers who stepped up to do this round. Both were newcomers to Iron Pen when this began, and now they can take their places among the honored veterans. :)

My thanks also to everyone who read the stories, commented, and voted.

The next round of Iron Pen will take place later this month, depending on peoples' schedules. Nobody has signed up yet, so if anyone is interested, please feel free to drop me a PM and let me know when would be a good time.

I'm going to be doing NaNoWriMo in July, so am not anticipating any Iron Pen challenges during that month.

:blush:

Cutlass had the right idea, giving us both "D"s. I wouldn't be so embarrassed about having gone with the best idea I could come up with in time on the theme -though I knew it was a lame copout- had Tolni had the luck to have had a better one. It would have been worse though, had I stuck with my first idea, which was about the circumstances of my setting up at AC2 - because all this round of Iron Pen needed added was that both entries were forum nerds writing non-fiction about being forum nerds for other forum nerds who'd expected real stories.

-We might have at least gotten more comments that way, but that wouldn't have been pretty.

-Nobody said, but my piece also has a profound structural flaw, in that it's all setup. There's a lot more missing from the account than is apparent, cramming nearly 20 years into 999 words as it does, but I went and just skipped 12 whole years of it near the end, and went and said so...

There's a real story in there, but it's a novel, one that would only be interesting to me... Even broken into a lot of shorts, nothing that lends itself to the word count on a deadline; I just plain needed a better idea than I had.

-I've now probably written more words about it than are in it, ironically.

I'm not saying either of you is a poor writer. And congrats on at least making the effort. But I don't really feel that you caught the spirit of the competition either.

I said I'd do it, and I wasn't about to let Valka down, but yeah; I'm a better writer than that, though not nearly so good as to polish such a lame idea into something more suitable. My subconscious often steps up a lot better under pressure, given a day+ to let it percolate, but not this time...

It was a sincere best effort, alas.

Well, I did leave the theme's interpretation wide open, so it was a surprise to see that both were very personal. But then some kinds of loss and discovery/finding what's lost are very personal.

I'm never sure what the contestants' first thoughts are going to be when they see what the theme is, so I try to allow a wide enough latitude so the automatic reaction won't be "Oh, <fuddle-duddle>, she wants a story about that?! :run:".

I do get that sometimes this can be the very reaction people have. After all, I once logged in for my own Iron Pen challenge many years ago, to discover that I had somewhat less than 48 hours (the host was 9 hours ahead of me and didn't care if he was posting the OP during the middle of the night in North America) to write a story about cabbage.

I managed, though. And I've been forever grateful that I wasn't assigned to the round where the stories were about zombies. :hide:

I've put a request in for competitors in the main Iron Pen thread. But it's hasn't been more than a few minutes yet, so I think I can give it a bit more time... ;)

I'd prefer not to have to postpone until August, honestly. And I could run one in July, but don't want to interfere with anyone who might want to do NaNoWriMo that month.

Mind you, if we did do a July challenge, anyone doing both Iron Pen and NaNoWriMo could include their Iron Pen story with their NaNo word count since it would have been written in July, and if they wanted to make their NaNo entry an anthology... :think:

Top Bottom