IS There CIV 3 map editor for mac?

If you have the MacSoft version of Civ3 Vanilla (the original, with no expansion packs), yes. AlanH can direct you to where to find that editor. It should work even if you have the expansion packs, if all you want is a map without the extras that the expansion packs provide (which is quite a bit).

Otherwise, no. But I am working on a Civ3 Scenario editor that will work on all common platforms (Windows, Mac, Linux, etc.). The map part will be the last part I will due as it's pretty complicated. Right now I have completed all the sections pertaining to the scenario rules, such that it is equal to the Conquests (Windows) editor's capabilities, minus the map, but I have not added safeguards to keep the user from creating scenarios that are completely illegal by Civ3's definition (ex. giving a unit a negative attack value). Those safeguards are the next priority, and sometime after that, the map support.

As demand seemed to be for a finished product rather than one that was quite rough around the edges (see the most recent poll in this subforum), this editor is not yet available for download. There's no timetable for its completion as it's a work on it when I have time and want to type of project (also, it will be free, so there's no economic necessity of finishing it real soon). It may not be before the end of the summer, as (a) I don't know if I'll finish it before then (I started in April 2009), and (b) I don't have a Mac to test it on, and might not see another Mac until August, and I figure it wouldn't be a bad idea to test it on a Mac again before releasing it.

Yes, I'm a Windows person who gets all the fun. I felt sorry for all you poor, fun-less people who had a Mac foisted on you against your fun-loving wills, so I decided to make an editor for you. Plus it's a good programming project. In the mean time, know that we PC peeps don't bite if you decide you want to have some fun and join us, even if it is for a short time in Boot Camp or Parallels. We might not have a whole lot of programs that start with "i", but apparently we have all the fun, whether we intend to or not.

Feel free to add your vote to the poll. There's actually a few more votes than the last time I checked, and somewhat different results, too.

I felt sorry for all you poor, fun-less people who had a Mac foisted on you against your fun-loving wills, so I decided to make an editor for you. Plus it's a good programming project. ... We might not have a whole lot of programs that start with "i", but apparently we have all the fun, whether we intend to or not.
Moderator Action: :nono: Baiting a class of people is still trolling. Saying you were only joking after the fact will not work. Either indicate within the post that you are not serious or leave the Mac vs. PC debate alone. At least in this forum.

I would say anyone that is offering to give Mac users a free editor is plainly only pulling their legs, not baiting. Not sure how it helps Mac users to chastise the person and maybe get them to decide to not include them.

Top Bottom