Is this normal?

mercury149

Chieftain
Playing on a gigantic map, immortal difficulty, 8000 turn game. About turn 2200 i got scientific method. Now I see there are a total of THREE natural gas deposits in the world and ONE OIL. Only one on land and none at sea.
I fired up the world builder and still do not see any more. (Sorry first post and on my phone....bold will not turn off)
Is this normal on a gigantic map?
Using most recent c2c download on a clean civ install(new drive).

Depends on the mapscript.
Default from c2c. Did not change anything there. Its somewhat odd though, gold,platinym,silver, tin and coal were real common. Copper was scarce. Sulpher low quantity. The Tin and coal are coming oyt of my ears almost, iron is about as common as im used to in dozens of civ iv and c2c games in older version. The one oil though..... gave me a darn good reason to invade that continent though.

Default from c2c.
What map-script does C2C default to? I'm guessing the map-script highest up in the drop down list. I'll have to start the game to find out...

Edit:
C2C_Arboria
This mapscript use a generic implementation for placing map bonuses for all bonuses except silver and deer, where there is some unique C2C_Arboria code to determine where those two resources are placed.
Oil and Gold bonuses have approximately the same placement parameters in XML, so there should be almost an equal amount of these two on the map.

EditEdit: Something is definitely off with the Oil placement on maps using the generic implementation, generated a standard size Arboria map and there were zero Oil bonuses on that map..

EditEditEdit: Looks like there is too much coal placed on the map when Oil is checked that no Oil will be placed, They are both BONUSCLASS_FUEL and Oil has a parameter that limits how close it can be to other bonuses of the same bonus class type.

Last edited:
Next SVN will have an improved, more balanced, calculation for how many of each bonus should be placed on the map when using any of the map scripts that implements the generic algorithm in dll for this calculation.
Already committed to our git master branch.
Thank you both for the clarification on that. Sorry about my abysmal typing on my phone, just looked back at my messages. It does make sense, I am used to stressing if I will have some coal in my area, this time ended up with well over a dozen, pushing 20 or more, so that would explain the low oil if they are same bonus type.
Appreciate the info!

I also had the same problem with Oil and Sulphur. Apart from that, I noticed that the plantation map bonuses are also darn scarce. I play the Continents mapscript (temperate or tropical, standard size), and I'm always trying to find ways to produce drugs, it's so hard!
I tried the new improved script by @Toffer90 regenerating a few maps on Continents, the oil is now regular just like uranium, and sulphur is better than before. But the plantation bonuses...I tried 5-6 map regens and found only 1 banana, 1 spices, no sugar, no tobacco, no hemp, no tea!!! Also no natural gas on any of the maps! And on the other hand the world is filled with iron and tin, the seas with food and magnesium (again no sea oil). Is something off with these also like it was with oil and sulphur?

I also had the same problem with Oil and Sulphur. Apart from that, I noticed that the plantation map bonuses are also darn scarce. I play the Continents mapscript (temperate or tropical, standard size), and I'm always trying to find ways to produce drugs, it's so hard!
I tried the new improved script by @Toffer90 regenerating a few maps on Continents, the oil is now regular just like uranium, and sulphur is better than before. But the plantation bonuses...I tried 5-6 map regens and found only 1 banana, 1 spices, no sugar, no tobacco, no hemp, no tea!!! Also no natural gas on any of the maps! And on the other hand the world is filled with iron and tin, the seas with food and magnesium (again no sea oil). Is something off with these also like it was with oil and sulphur?
Some bonuses are supposed to spawn on only one continent. Unfortunately the trade and espionage parts of C2C doesn't support this as well as they should.

i have to say, i actually like sometimes having certain ressources rarer than normal, makes for some interesting dynamics. realising you have no rare metals nearby reaching classic gives you all the more reason for early wars

Some bonuses are supposed to spawn on only one continent
Indeed that's one of the continents feature. But I also tried some large Pangaea maps
No sugar
No tobacco
Must have generated around 10 maps of Pangaea and continents and found none of these bonuses, has anyone experienced this also or is it a thing from these maps?

i have to say, i actually like sometimes having certain resources rarer than normal, makes for some interesting dynamics. realizing you have no rare metals nearby reaching classic gives you all the more reason for early wars
Yes, this is what's expected from the game and one of the things that makes it fun.
But I played with the previous (before Toffer90's update) mapscript on a continents game, I had three rivals. There was only one source of sulfur in my continent, and it was located to the other far part of the map! I mean, that would allow for only one player to advance to gunpowder weaponry (not me), which makes things silly. I tried waiting till renaissance to see if my mines discovered any sulfur, but to no avail. Then I noticed the complete lack of oil (before Toffer90's update) and other resources (again no sugar, no tobacco).

Like what Toffer90 did with the oil, there should be a minimum of resources for an amount of players, making it somewhat fair for most of them to advance. I mean, what good would a rival be without bronze/steel/sulfur/oil?

Were you using the "Balanced" resources map option for continents? That option is on SVN completly broken, fixed it today on git.
I also made some tweaks to map bonus placements on git today, it will be on the SVN soon.

Were you using the "Balanced" resources map option for continents?
No, I tried it once months ago, and it looked awful indeed, so since then it's standard resources for me. I only use the "more rivers" setting from the game options.
I'll wait for the SVN build then to have it a go!

Top Bottom