It Belongs in a Museum: TOUGH!!

mrmike1949

Chieftain
Not having much luck getting this: latest game started 9 civs, 21 C-S , ended up with 24 sites+ 10 hidden sites, I got them ALL, got 9 C-S artifacts, but 2 were Vancouver, so score was 8/10.

Best overall result was 10 artifacts, but 3 were Panama so 8/10 also.

Tried quicksaving before making choice, but seems the artifact is already set in stone. Does anyone know WHEN the artifact is decided? When the dig starts? When the game starts? When the sites are exposed?

Any hints how to get more C-S artifacts created??

The artifacts become great works of writing or landmarks when there is no longer any space for artifacts in your buildings. What civilization the artifact belonged to? Random, I guess.

Not having much luck getting this: latest game started 9 civs, 21 C-S , ended up with 24 sites+ 10 hidden sites, I got them ALL, got 9 C-S artifacts, but 2 were Vancouver, so score was 8/10.

Best overall result was 10 artifacts, but 3 were Panama so 8/10 also.

Tried quicksaving before making choice, but seems the artifact is already set in stone. Does anyone know WHEN the artifact is decided? When the dig starts? When the game starts? When the sites are exposed?

Any hints how to get more C-S artifacts created??

I will assume that the artifacts ownership/authenthicity is decided once the Ruins are first spawned.

Here's what you could do if you want to go the easy way.

Set up a HUGE map with as many city states as you want, 1 AI player and start in the late era game. The game will automatically create random dig sites so chances are you will find one with the City State status.

Yup, reports are that it was even tough on huge map (default number of AI & city states) before the patch that turned some of the hidden sites into writing. (While in most games, that's a good change, it's a bad one if you are after this achievement)

Yes, anyone without that achievement now who doesn't simply want to load an achievement save for its best bet is now to add a lot of city states while decreasing number of major AIs while still being on huge map.

Yup, reports are that it was even tough on huge map (default number of AI & city states) before the patch that turned some of the hidden sites into writing. (While in most games, that's a good change, it's a bad one if you are after this achievement)

Yes, anyone without that achievement now who doesn't simply want to load an achievement save for its best bet is now to add a lot of city states while decreasing number of major AIs while still being on huge map.

I remember reading in another thread that the number of AI civs is what actually determines the number of dig sites, not the number of C-S.

Anybody know if that is correct or not?

The game will clutter the map with dig sites to fill in the map, no matter the size... I think.. that's on later starts though.

Finally got it: Huge map, 12 civs (incl me) 41 C-S (max) put out 43 dig sites plus 19 hidden sites.
First 8 digs, got 2 C-S artifacts, thinking it's looking REAL good. Nah! 16 sites left, still needed 2 more..... ended up with 11 C-S artifacts with 2 sites left. Still cutting it close, any duplication and I could have been SOL.

btw, I got a Writer 'artifact', never seen that before

It is a random effect. In a recent game I only got 2 out of about 15 hidden sites. Others have reported more than 1/3 ratio. Everyone's mileage appears to vary.

It is a random effect. In a recent game I only got 2 out of about 15 hidden sites. Others have reported more than 1/3 ratio. Everyone's mileage appears to vary.

A 1 in 3 ratio among hidden sites is what the developers state in the patch notes.

I think that is a probabiity, like Germany's 67% chance that a defeated barb in a camp will convert to Germany's side. You are not assured of that result in 2 out of every 3 camps, just as you are not assured that 1 out of every 3 hidden antiquity sites will yield a cultural renaissance.

More precisely, the patch notes said: "Great Works of Writing (like the Rosetta Stone) now available from 30% of the Hidden Antiquity Sites. An alternative use of these is to create a "Cultural Renaissance" (equal to a Great Writer's Political Treatise)."

I've had games where I dug all of the hidden antiquity sites and less than 30% yielded a cultural renaissance.

I did have 3 digs that gave cultural revolutions, didn't notice if they were writings or not, but I guess they must have been?

If so, that makes it 4/18

Tried several of the online ideas without any luck so I then tried my own using the following setup:

Player: Morocco
Map Type: Archipelago
Map Size: Huge (with 41 city states)
IA Players: Byzantium, Carthage, India, Spain (deleted the others)
Difficulty: Chieftain
Game Pace: Quick
Game Era: Industrial

No Barbarians & No Espionage - not necessary but makes for a less complicated game.

Only built 4 cities no more than 5 tiles apart.

Final result - 20 sites and 8 hidden sites, EVERY site that I dug at was a city-state!!!!

Don't get excited if on finishing the tenth dig your Steam doesn't update. It should on finishing the turn.

To anyone still trying to get this, you will need a huge pangea map starting from the Ancient Age with the maximum number of city states and the minimum number of main civilizations. Ramp it up to Deity and play against someone who's basically useless in the early game, like Venice. Disable all victory conditions except time. If you feel like making it interesting, fill the game with civs that like to attack city states - Askia, Montezuma, the Assyrians, the Mongols - but the more of these you put in, the more you're rolling the dice with the next 30 hours of your life (or however long it takes you to get to the Industrial Age).

You MUST turn OFF ancient ruins and turn ON raging barbarians!

Ancient ruins is one of the events that can leave behind an antiquity site - but city states can't grab it, so that ruins your achievement. What you want is for as many city states as possible to be attacked as possible, leaving behind antiquity sites of barbarian camps and battle sites that don't involve major civilizations.

As far as I can tell, the TOTAL number of antiquity sites - hidden plus visible - is fixed by the map somehow, so every major civ that gets an ancient ruin or that wins a battle is one less city-state antiquity site for you to find. This is why we're all having trouble with this.

If you're still REALLY stuck, there are a couple of mods that can really cheese this through - don't feel bad, it was a very poorly planned challenge - there's the map editor mod, and the mod to highlight antiquity sites only in the resource icons. Remember to save your game, turn off all mods, and reload to trigger the achievement.

I tried Ac Rafone's approach above, and it didn't work. Then I tried OldRED's method and it worked first time.

I found this topic like a week ago trying to figure this out. I saw someone new reply that one of the ways worked so I decided to go ahead and try, and so now I have done it too with the OldRed method! Only difference is I used Poland and set the AI as Denmark,Japan,China and I forgot the 4th one, may have been England. But I can't recall if I even found them on my map. Because by turn 250, which is only like 50 turns after a Industrial Era start, I was done already. I had built and focused on Warsaw and only settled Krakow about half way through to make sure I had enough Museum slots. But I didn't even need the extra. The slots I got filled were in the Palace,both slots in both cities Museums,the Sistine Chapel, a great artifact of writing was put in an Amphitheater I think. But I had built Louvre and not a single slot in that was needed even. Oh yeah Hermitage's slots were filled also. I think 2 or 3 sites ended up not having a City State artifact so I just turned those into landmarks as to not fill up a slot.

And as I found and picked a city state artifact I wrote down which one it belongs to to not get a duplicate. And it all worked. And a few times there was a duplicate to chose so I chose the other.

So its nice to be done with this and while it needs super specific conditions to pull off its not hard when they are set.

PS: Using Poland is very helpful as well, you can unlock Exploration to get the Hidden sites right away, only having a short research for Archaeology to do. Plus once a few of the needed buildings to house the stuff and whatever else you want, they are one turn Archaeologists builds as well.

Tried several of the online ideas without any luck so I then tried my own using the following setup:

Player: Morocco
Map Type: Archipelago
Map Size: Huge (with 41 city states)
IA Players: Byzantium, Carthage, India, Spain (deleted the others)
Difficulty: Chieftain
Game Pace: Quick
Game Era: Industrial

No Barbarians & No Espionage - not necessary but makes for a less complicated game.

Only built 4 cities no more than 5 tiles apart.

Final result - 20 sites and 8 hidden sites, EVERY site that I dug at was a city-state!!!!

Don't get excited if on finishing the tenth dig your Steam doesn't update. It should on finishing the turn.
Thank you very much for the guide. Easily replicable: not sure if you picked morocco for any real reason, but any civ seems very much tolerable for this purpose. Earned me the achievement after suffering through Pangaea saves and IGE.

Top Bottom