Landmark Improvements Strategy

Rombizio

Chieftain
Can anyone outline some good strategies with Landmark Improvements? I have never used them. Ever. So I was wondering what kind of World Congress + CIV perk + Social/Ideological Policy combo is possible.

I also want to know how efficient they are (e.g. Academic of Science vs. using the GS right away), etc

Thanks

You would want Historical Monuments I think. From the world council that is +2culture/Great Person Improvement and +4 for archaeology improvements

With policies, the Freedom tree works best for Great Person Improvements as you get the +4 yield (New Deal)

Some technologies boost tile yields

Completing Piety will boost Holy Site yields and these can be some of the best tiles in the game

I think that is it. From here try and maximise the effect of buildings that have modifier effects. ie. if you have cultural sites try and position them near your hermitage, academy's are best on a city that is adjacent a mountain so you can stack the Observatory and National College...

I agree with Redaxe on all points.

I will add though that it's important to try and 'settle' GP's as soon as possible to get maximum benefit from them. The more the game wears on the less valuable the Great Person Improvement becomes relative to just burning them for a lump sum benefit.

These tiles will give tourism with Hotels and Airports - lots of it!

try to make sure you have plenty of space around your capital as well because if you're going freedom and new deal youll want lots of plains/hills to settle academies/manufactories.

Academies make best sense in the capital since you will typically build your national college there. Next to a mountain just a further plus those percent modifiers really stack up. Generally it wont make sense to immediately burn the first couple of scientists you get, settling these guys early will generate the most long term return. On the other hand past a certain point you will generate more if you save them until Space age techs when burning them will make the most raw science. But unless youre at a crucial tech rushing them much before nano tech and the like is no good.

Also try to pass the resolution giving bonus culture. Try to pass this ASAP because if you are the only person with a significant number of GP improvements the AI will vehemently oppose this resolution. On the other hand theyll usually go along with it if they have some themselves.

Lastly, the Maya are a great civ to experiment with GP tile improvements since you will get more GP and get them earlier.

Top Bottom