Liberation Question

In my latest game playing as Assyria, Sweden and I were at war with Greece. Sweden took Athens and I later took Sparta (the last remaining Greek city), eliminating Greece from the game.

Later on, I was at war with Sweden. I took Athens from them with the intent to liberate it; but, for some reason, I wasn't given the option.

Any ideas as to why I couldn't liberate Athens and recall the Greeks back to life? Was it because I was the one who initially eliminated them? Is it because the war between me and Sweden hasn't ended yet?

Thanks in advance.

its because you eliminated them.

To explain more fully, if you are at war with any civ and that civ goes out, you will not be able to liberate their cities later on. I think many players will go for a peace deal with that civ if they see the last city is about to be taken, just to keep their options open later on in the game. FYI: you will also occasionally see a conquered city state that you intend to liberate, but find that you aren't given the option. This is because someone like Venice or Austria nabbed them and then lost. It happens and it's hard to always know ahead of time.

In my latest game playing as Assyria, Sweden and I were at war with Greece. Sweden took Athens and I later took Sparta (the last remaining Greek city), eliminating Greece from the game.

Later on, I was at war with Sweden. I took Athens from them with the intent to liberate it; but, for some reason, I wasn't given the option.

Any ideas as to why I couldn't liberate Athens and recall the Greeks back to life? Was it because I was the one who initially eliminated them? Is it because the war between me and Sweden hasn't ended yet?

Thanks in advance.
To extend further, you can't liberate a city for someone you are at war with... you were at war with the Greeks when they were eliminated.. you are still at war with the Greeks.

Top Bottom