Line of Sight across 3 hexes obscured

DaveGold

Emperor
The attached screenshot shows my longbowman who wants to shoot at a city 3 hexes away. He isn't allowed to do this. He has 3 range. The hex is visible. I'm assuming he isn't being given line of sight. I have however drawn a helpful red line on the screenshot that shows the line of sight travels through clear hexes. It does not pass through the rough hexes on either side.

Perhaps someone else can check and see if there's another reason why the longbowman can't shoot. Version 621.

Attachments

• longbow.JPG
    longbow.JPG
    255.9 KB · Views: 799
  • Elizabeth_0209 AD-1490.Civ5Save
    607.7 KB · Views: 289
There definitely appears to be an inconsistency how line of sight is computed. In your save file not only does the longbow appear to have a line of sight to Kumbi Saleh, but also to Argungu and the Horse south of Argungu. However, all three tiles are shown as outside the longbow's range. At first I thought that the ranged attack was prohibited if any tile between the attacker and the target was a hill, mountain or forest. Then I noticed that the tile NW of York is shown as being within the longbow's range. A hill lies between the longbow and that tile. To be consistent, the tile NW of York also should be outside the range.

Do you agree that this is inconsistent? Also, in your opinion, how should line of sight be calculated? Perhaps line of sight should exist if some direct path of hexes to the target is free of hills, etc.

Do you agree that this is inconsistent? Also, in your opinion, how should line of sight be calculated? Perhaps line of sight should exist if some direct path of hexes to the target is free of hills, etc.

There are two rulings usually given for hex based board games for line of sight issues. One ruling is for the line shown in my original screenshot. This is a typical rule taken from a hex based game: "Imagine a line drawn from the center of the hex containing the battling unit to the center of the hex containing the enemy target. The line of sight is considered blocked if any hex intercepting this imaginary line segment contains an obstruction". This seems like a good rule for CIV5 and it isn't happening at the moment.

The second ruling is for line of sight passing along a hex spine when one side of the spine is clear and the other is blocked. Different hex based games have different rulings and CIV5 only needs to be clear and consistent on whether that situation blocks LOS or not.

Thanks for the explanation. I'll move to the Confirmed Bugs forum and add it to the list.

Moderator Action: Moved to the Confirmed Bugs forum.

I encountered the same problem.
workaround: if some other unit is "seeing" the target then the longbowman can shoot
(but it is definitely a bugged line of sight)

The joined screenshots show the bug in absolutely clear terrain!

Attachments

• LongBowMan1.jpg
    LongBowMan1.jpg
    218.7 KB · Views: 510
  • LongBowMan2.jpg
    LongBowMan2.jpg
    408.6 KB · Views: 435
In this case the bug is very annoying because it is not possible to attack the city nor the tile close to it in clear terrain !

ArcherLOS_Pb.jpg

I encountered the same problem.
workaround: if some other unit is "seeing" the target then the longbowman can shoot
(but it is definitely a bugged line of sight)

The joined screenshots show the bug in absolutely clear terrain!

This one isn't the same issue (at least, I don't think it is). You have clear line of sight, but units also have a maximum distance that they can see. In this case, Hastings can be fired upon, but is out of the viewing range of the unit. As far as I can tell, this is correct.

In fact, your next post is the same case. Your units have a firing range that exceeds their viewing range, and so will need sighters. In this case, they also need a clear line of sight to the target once that sighting is provided.

I agree with you that my first post in this thread is not a bug if the game considers crossbowmen have a viewing range of 2 and only a firing range of 3.
(should be documented!)

But the attachments below confirm that there is not only a problem of obscured LOS (it should be possible to fire on Belgrade with at least one archer, tmo)
but a more general problem even in clear terrain.
One archer can fire on the tile south to Belgrade and his neighbour cannot although the conditions are the same for both, tmo.

ArcherLOS_Pb2.jpg

ArcherLOS_Pb1.jpg

Oh, I agree there's definitely a problem. And that last screenshot of yours shows something new! Not only can you not hit south of Belgrade, but you can't hit Belgrade itself, either, and it should be able to.

What's new is that he can hit northwest of Belgrade, but shouldn't be able to! (Also, the tile west of that)

In the attached image, as you can see, I can't attack the enemy frigate (surrounded by a yellow circle) with my selected frigate (which has the +1 range promotion). I think is an error in the calculation of the line of sight because the CS of Genoa is near.

I've also attached the savegame.

Edit: Compressed the savegame due to quota issues

Attachments

• range_bombarding.7z
    777.2 KB · Views: 179
  • Civ5Screen0000.jpg
    Civ5Screen0000.jpg
    120.4 KB · Views: 327
Bug already known and in the list of confirmed bugs: see the thread Line of Sight across 3 hexes obscured.

The game often incorrectly determines line of sight when bombarding 3 hexes away through a range promotion. In this case, from your screenshot, it looks like because Genoa is on a hill, it is (incorrectly) obscuring your line of sight, even though it really shouldn't be, as the hill is not in such a position that it should block your line of sight.

More of the same.
Longbow able to target clear terrain three hexes in straight line but not to sides.
In this screenshot:
... can target three hexes near a worker on right
... cannot target enemy on left at three hexes
... can target the hex next to enemy on left also at three hexes

Attachments

• 2011-06-12_00009.jpg
    2011-06-12_00009.jpg
    384.5 KB · Views: 342
Still happening, in case anyone is wondering. This isn't even like the other ones I've seen, where maybe, depending on how it's calculating the fire route would make sense. This is just plain wrong.

Attachments

• 2013-02-03_00001.jpg
    2013-02-03_00001.jpg
    429.4 KB · Views: 399
Top Bottom