Love BNW though the game seems a bit too easy now!

autumnmist

Chieftain
In G&K, I've only ever been able to win Emperor on Archipelago maps, but BNW has made things so easy. So far played Standard+Quick+King as Venice and Shoshone and I was by far the runaway in both games.

I won the Venice game by Diplomacy as soon as the United Nations was formed, but I was also the tech and military leader, so if I felt like it, I could've won by military or spaceship.

In the Shoshone game, I again could've won by diplomacy (had enough votes on my own without having to bribe other major civs) but decided to delay until the 2nd world leader vote so that I could win by culture instead in between the voting rounds. I was #1 by more than 2x in just about every demographic metric.

Cultural victory has definitely become more enjoyable... once you've reached the snowball point, you can start taking time to play with Great Works/artifacts and optimize trade routes towards pushing the full force of your tourism on those last 1-2 holdout civs! :lol:

The Shoshone game was pretty awesome because I was building my culture from the start but Gandhi and Harun kept building all the wonders I wanted... Harun eventually DOWed me after I thoroughly provoked him (stole territory, stole artifacts, stole his city states, kept sending prophets to Mecca) and I stole Mecca and Damascus and left his remaining two cities to Gandhi (my temporary ally) and Byzantium, my true ally, allowing both of them to take the diplomatic hit for wiping Harun off the face of the map!

Gandhi kept going with his religion pushing/wonder building but eventually pissed off the weaker civs on my continent so that they were thrilled when I denounced Gandhi and was pleasantly surprised when both Byzantium and Ramses agreed to go to war with me. Conquered Delhi and its 12+ wonders and left the pickings to my allies. (tip: I think taking only the best cities from your enemies and letting your allies take the rest is the way to go with cultural/diplomacy victory. No one ever complained about me being a warmonger even though I took the two most wonder-full cities on the map)

At that point, I had so much money, I could freely buy up 2/3 of the city states on the map and just wait while I pushed culture and tourism, as a civ capitulated to my dominant tourism every few turns. I also got almost ALL of the freedom tenets before the end of the game (missed one 3rd tier, 1 2nd tier and 2 1st tier tenets) since I was the first to pick freedom and all the AIs stupidly picked other ideologies... They would rue that decision when I pushed them all into -30 Revolutionary Wave.

Eventually all of the remaining civs denounced me, but it was too late! My blue jeans won! Mwuahahaha.

Next game I'll step it up to Emperor.

King = walk in the park for me now.
Emperor: able to win, but feels hard and I really have to micromanage everything (love doing that btw)
Immortal: in GnK, I was able to win some Immortal games, but now I fail horribly.
Deity: screw that.

King has become easier, but the higher difficulties seem to have become harder. I like it.

Great to hear! I'll definitely try to step up my game with Emperor now. From watching Let's Play videos, it seems like my main weakness is that I don't bother micromanaging citizens, so I guess I'll have to start doing that.

I really enjoyed not being randomly DOWed but instead was able to manipulate the AI into either attacking me (Harun) or joining me in an attack on a stronger foe (Gandhi actually had more soldiers than me when I attacked but not more than me + Byzantium + Egypt)!

King = walk in the park for me now.
Emperor: able to win, but feels hard and I really have to micromanage everything (love doing that btw)
Immortal: in GnK, I was able to win some Immortal games, but now I fail horribly.
Deity: screw that.

King has become easier, but the higher difficulties seem to have become harder. I like it.

It's bad for players like me, who aren't quite good enough to win Emperor in G&K, but curbstomp King in G&K. Either I play king BNW, which is way too easy, or emperor BNW, which is really really hard.

I typically play Emperor. It has felt easier on BNW, but I don't know if that is due to the game getting easier or me getting better.

I will attempt Immortal on my next game.

It's bad for players like me, who aren't quite good enough to win Emperor in G&K, but curbstomp King in G&K. Either I play king BNW, which is way too easy, or emperor BNW, which is really really hard.

Create your own diff level, I'm not joking. Most people think it is rocket science but it isn't; you just need to modify some values in the HandicapInfos.xml file, takes some experimenting, but it is worth it, and fun. Try to do it, start with the obvious one and modify some bonuses in King to the upside, but below/above the values of Emperor. Just make a backup copy of the file first.

Create your own diff level, I'm not joking. Most people think it is rocket science but it isn't; you just need to modify some values in the HandicapInfos.xml file, takes some experimenting, but it is worth it, and fun. Try to do it, start with the obvious one and modify some bonuses in King to the upside, but below/above the values of Emperor. Just make a backup copy of the file first.

If the thought of modding CiV intimidates you like it does me, grab "Really Advanced Setup" from the Steam Workshop. It allows you to change many different start variables, including what tech/s you start with, the starting visibility, the units you start with, the gold/science/culture/faith you start with, etc.

Works quite well with BNW.

Top Bottom