Map Generation Question

Ajuga

Prince
I bought all the DLC some time ago and it included a lot of map-types in the advanced game set-up.
Though the description of all of the maps is somewhat lacking and I was wondering if the people here would help me out on these area's for all map types.

- Does the map-type generate a fixed map or a random map?
- How does the map roughly look like? (On standard settings for that map-type.)

For example I know that continents usually generates 2 continents and that the civilizations are split in two, put on those two continents. That there is a lot of water and that the map is randomly generated every time so you never get the same map.

If I want to know what a map type is like I fire up the worldbuilder and spam a few maps and fiddle with the settings.

You might want to take a look at this or this link. There are some example screens for every map type in there.

For the mappack you bought: There are 5 predefined maps (which don't change, e.g. the British Isles), and 5 map scripts.

I'm working on an article for the War Academy that should be great for addressing these questions, but you know, it's still work in progress...
What will at least help in the meantime is a picture overview of all the maps in the German Wikipedia: http://civwiki.de/wiki/Kartensammlung_(Civ5) (probably The_J already linked to that, he beat me to it, me being a slow typer :D).
All those pictures are made with the World Builder. That's a tool that is also accessible to you, but you have to manually activate the download through Steam. Go to Library > all Games > tools, then look for Sid Meier's Civilization 5 SDK.

I don't know all the maps by heart, I know a map like 'British Isles' is a fixed map, and so is 'Bering Strait', but 'Great Plains' and 'Amazon', are scripts, albeit with very specific rules.
The earth maps are fixed maps, so is 'ancient lake'. What you can also do if you're unsure and you haven't got World Builder installed is to simply use your computer's search function to search for the file's name. If you see the file you will know whether it's a script or a fixed map.

You might want to take a look at this or this link. There are some example screens for every map type in there.

For the mappack you bought: There are 5 predefined maps (which don't change, e.g. the British Isles), and 5 map scripts.

Thanks a lot!
So Asia, Mesopotamia, Mediterranean, America, Bering Strait, British Isles, Caribbean, Eastern United States and the Japanese Heartland are all fixed maps and do not change?

(probably The_J already linked to that, he beat me to it, me being a slow typer :D).

Hehehe :D.
but your answer is better :).

Thanks a lot!
So Asia, Mesopotamia, Mediterranean, America, Bering Strait, British Isles, Caribbean, Eastern United States and the Japanese Heartland are all fixed maps and do not change?

:yup: should be. Else you can see in Optional's post how to check it.

Top Bottom