Memorable games and other trivia

I thought it might be interesting to mention some master games that once seen are never forgotten. I won't list the game scores 'cos it could get out of hand and a lot of them are easy to find in the literature (for obvious reasons) but I can put the odd one in if anyone wants it.

Kieseritzky-Anderson: "The Immortal Game" of course
R Byrne-Fischer: Byrne resigned while two grandmasters were demonstrating his "winning" strategy
Fischer-Spassky, 6th match game: I saw this game the day after it was played and I was awestruck
Nimzovitch-?: I'll have to find my copy of MY System, but Nimzovitch achieved zugzwang in the middlegame!

I'll browse through my books and no doubt remember a few more

------------------
That's not the electric light my friend, it is your vision growing dim

well its not a game but I can't forget the circumstances after Kasparov's last victory and the long series of draws in KvsK1.The match that Campo stopped "fearing for the players health due to severe mental fatigue".That was a stunning end to a bitter match.

The "game of the century" was good when taking Fischer's age and experience level into mind.

I saw a beautiful finish in the American Open a few years back.Very tricky bishop move resulted in an immediate rez by American Evans.I'll see if I can find it.

I knew there was another one:

Edward Lasker-Sir G A Thomas: white sacrifices his Queen and shepherds the black king to the other end of the board, delivering mate with O-O-O seven moves later.

The Nimzovitsch game was as black against Samisch. Zugzwang in 25 moves!

------------------
That's not the electric light my friend, it is your vision growing dim

These are all, indeed, very memorable games!

I would also add Reti-Alekhine to the list; Alekhine calculated a 14-move combination (I think) culminating with an elegant fork of rook and knight.

don't blame me!
http://www.brum2000.swinternet.co.uk/index.html

edit: it was meant to go straight into the excuses pointer, but I don't know what I'm doing (another excuse!!)

------------------
"Ridicule can do much...but one thing is not given to it, to put a stop permanently to the incursion of new and powerful ideas"
-Aaron Nimzovitch

[This message has been edited by Algernon Pondlife (edited March 17, 2001).]

Top Bottom