Minimum distance between cities

FeiLing

Deity
Game Version: 1.0.1.511

Minimum distance is 3 tiles in between according to the games standard rules.
The game though has obviously problems if those tiles are water and not land.

Here is a screenshot from a TSG30 game, where Persia settled a city with a mere two tiles in between, which shouldn't be possible (happened in my game too, but the screenshot is from someone else game).
Spoiler :

Here a screenshot of a recent game, where I tried to settle in a similar way. Didn't let me (1 water tile in between):
Spoiler :

Another screenshot from the same game: This time 2 water tiles in between. Still shouldn't work, but worked this time:
Spoiler :

Here the save game:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/5773554/.Civ5Save_(GOTM & Bugs)/Stoneworks-Bug-Marseille.Civ5Save

Can't give an official link off hand but i remember hearing this was intended and not some issue/bug.

It's fine, Civilopedia Explains:

Spoiler :

I guess no more could be squeezed in because of the concise rule details in 'Cities' and 'Where to Found Cities', but I think you get the picture.

This is not a bug. It's working as the developers intended.

Early in vanilla, the city spacing was 2. Eventually, this was updated in a patch and increased to 3.

BUT, to help with settling on islands and not block them out (thus, also potentially losing any sea resources distanced from those islands), they kept the spacing at 2.

Actually... here, I found the source as well if you don't believe me. :)

http://forums.2kgames.com/showthread.php?89117-Patch-Notes

Scroll down to post #4 Patch 1.0.1.217 under "Balance Changes" > "Game Rules".

Cities must now have three or more tiles in between them (1 more tile than before), unless separated by a sea/coast tile.

Now... what I'd like to know is where this setting can be found because I haven't been able to find it! I wanted to try out a hard rule of 3 spacing everywhere, no matter if water separates two cities. :(

EDIT: D'oh... just saw how old this thread is. :rolleyes:

Indeed; I'll take responsibility for the necro-resurrection however this might have some nuance value - Cities can't be founded within 3 tiles right now, and for us lamers who have to check, that means, city=0, then count 1, 2, 3 away from the city. All of these hexes are ineligible. You can only settle on the *fourth* tile away from the city if you count the city itself as zero.

(In my knubish experience, at least as far as land-to-land city distances, considering jpbar's advice.)

Now... what I'd like to know is where this setting can be found because I haven't been able to find it!

The rule is "one less if on a different landmass (ie the area ids are different)" and not if separated by coast (eg if the Gulf of Suez was two tiles wide you would not be able to found cities at both Hurghada and Ras Mohammed as they are both on the same landmass)

It's hard-coded in CvCitySiteEvaluator::CanFound() (in the CvCitySiteEvaluator.cpp file) right at the end of the method

In civ4 there was similar rule on settling on diffrent landmasses.

Really? Do you have more specifics?

In Civ 4 it's not much of a problem because the city range was two, the minimum distance is two, and there's no advantage to crowding cities .

If you need to get access to a resource, the simple solution is to build a fort and a road somewhere on that landmass. After BtS, forts serve as ports.

Moderator Action: Vanilla prefix added to thread title

Top Bottom