[MOD] Path to the Throne

I agree that using images without proper credits is generally something that should be avoided.
Since I am however too lazy to trace all images I have collected to their creator:
I will simply not develop this project in public anymore or ever publish it.
(...)
I have removed all images from this thread and will close my public forum within the next days.
Are you sure that this is the only reason for stopping your project? Your ambitious project had an unlucky start. The last two weeks you haven't find any CivCol-modder (without Orlanth) who wants to discuss your ideas at your new forum hosted by Infracta. Are you sure that this didn't influence your decision?

It is the fourth time in 2,5 years and on three different forums that you abandoned a great CivCol-mod project abruptly without completing it (TAC, RWL, RaR, PttT). You have wonderful ideas and a great technical knowledge, ray. I wish you more patience and sereneness to use them.

Are you sure that this is the only reason for stopping your project ?

I did not say that I completely stop it.
I will just end it as a public project.

I will continue modding on it just for fun.
Although it is very unlikely of course, that I will ever be able to create something like Religion and Revolution.

Your ambitious project had an unlucky start. The last two weeks you haven't find any CivCol-modder (without Orlanth) who wants to discuss your ideas at your new forum hosted by Infracta. Are you sure that this didn't influence your decision?

It is the other way around:
If there would have been a huge team of modders involved, the project would have needed to stay public and take care of credits, changelogs, ...
But since it is now only a privat project, I don't need all that anymore.

It is the fourth time in 2,5 years and on three different forums that you abandoned a great CivCol-mod project abruptly without completing it (TAC, RWL, RaR, PttT).

About my reasons to abandon TAC:

1. I left TAC because it did not like the way development was handled.
(Not being allowed to develop new features for months during "red phases" drove me crazy.)

2. Finally when the TAC-team even decided to end the TAC base project and stop developing new big features, there was simply nothing to keep me at TAC.
Leaving TAC to continue being a creative modder was the only reasonable choice. :dunno:

And as you know, I still tried to support TAC from time to time.

About my reasons to abandond RWL:

RWL (ray's wish list) was first of all a showcase to convince other modders to form a team to continue development on TAC base project.

I did wild experimental protoyping and development of many new features and even more new concepts.
It was extremely fun to me.

Finally I achieved my goal and found Robert Surcouf who was interested to form a team with me and contine developing / enhancing TAC base mod.

Religion and Revolution was started and most features and concepts of RWL became part of the implemenation or planned concepts.

So there was no more reason to continue RWL. :dunno:

About my reasons to leave Religion and Revolution:

In the beginning Religion and Revolution was the most fun modding project I ever had.
But things slowly changed and I got totally crowded with work that was not fun for me.

I just want to be a creative modder again who does not need to take care of bureaucracy.
I want to use the little sparetime I have for actually creating new ideas and features.

And as I have said, I will continue to offer my features which I believe to fit to Religion and Revolution to the remaining RaR-team. :)

About Path to the Throne:

As I told you already above, I simply ended it as public project, which will allow me to completely focus on creative work.
I have not abandoned it. :)

You have wonderful ideas and a great technical knowledge, ray.

Well thanks.

I wish you more patience and sereneness to use them.

Modding is all about fun for me. :)

I am very willing to also do tasks within a team that are not fun.
But if these task take to much space and fun too little, then I react.

I don't think a couple images can be a reason for not continuing this in public
The whole problem can be solved with a single line in the credits section
I would advise you continue it Ray, I'm sure a lot of people would be interested in the mod

Please understand that I will not continue useless discussions. :thumbsup:
This project has ended as a public project. Decision is made.

really? :( I hope you won't have to do that, it seems an extreme price to pay over such a minor issue. I have no problem adding a deviantart link to that video, those images have been posted multiple places across the web & I did not know who is the original author of each one.

But I do agree, making these kinds of free mods is something done on a volunteer basis in limited spare time, in hopes that a very small community of people might enjoy it. Without a professional team and no development budget, the wide range of quality thematic content needed for a total conversion mod requires assembling together numerous small pieces of content posted by a wide variety of people on civfanatics, deviantart, and elsewhere across the web; and this is the case for almost all mods on civfanatics, with everyone understanding that they include a wide variety of content collected from numerous other sources. If it was mandatory to create an extensive links database for everything, initiate copyright searches on each possible content piece, or obtain notarized intellectual property consent forms, modding would obviously stop which would be sad.

Anyhow, it's a pity if something like that could cause new efforts at Civ4Col modding to stall out, when it was looking so promising again :sad:

I agree with you my friend!
Any fool out there who posts something to the World Wide Web and doesn't expect to have his stuff tossed around is in fact a fool.

Sorry to see this mod get slapped with a bunch of bureaucratic red tape. But by all means, Mod on my friend :) :ar15:

Mod on my friend :)

I am. :)
And I am having great fun doing so.

As I said, I will try to share the features I create with Religion and Revolution and my other old modding friends. :thumbsup:

Hum... Discussions can be tough sometimes

Anyway, I like the trailer. Maybe we should do something similar with Religion and Revolution... :dunno:
Good job Orlanth and Ray ! :goodjob:

Yes, it was an awesome trailer.. makes me want to do one for Medieval Conquests now:)

Intro Trailer Video now on Youtube:
click the "gear" icon to watch in HD, and crank up the volume :scan::cool::scan:

Link to video.
@orlanth

Since you are around again, I have to think about "Path to the Throne" more often. :)
Even though I at some point abandoned it, I never really gave up on it in my dreams.

In fact many of its concepts already have or are now getting implemented in We the People.
So basically once We the People would be finished creating a "Path to the Throne" would be much easier.

Problem with that theory:
Currently I do not think WTP will ever be finished. :lol:
At least not before I retire from my real job in real life ...

Summary:

It is not realistic for me anymore to ever revive PttT. :sad:
Only creating all the graphics, configuring all the game objects (e.g. Buildings, Units, ...), doing all the balancing, writing all the texts would take me probalby 2 years.
I much rather invest all that time now in We the People because there we can at least still make a bit of progress with the few modders we have.

--------

I know I already told you, but:

Thanks a lot for the awesome video you created for PttT. :hug:
It still gives me shivers to watch it. (I still remember what I had envisioned for PttT.)

Thanks a lot Ray, I had fun making it! :scan::goodjob:

If anyone likes you can view the vid clips made for Kailric's M:C mod and 2071 on the old tiny YT channel below. I had to use images/soundtracks found on the web of course, but was actually fairly fun/easy to put together as a bare amateur using Windows Movie Maker ;)

https://www.youtube.com/user/Colonization2071/videos

I still think about this project in grief and regret ... :sad:
  • Extensive Lore and Story Building ... (dune inspired)
  • Religions, Religion Wars, Fanatics, Zealots, ...
  • Stronger Focus on Diplomacy, Espionage, Sabotage, Hidden Agendas, Treachery, ...
  • Flying Combat Units (Air), Flying Transport Units (Air), Space Combat Units, Space Transport Units, ...
  • "Mono-Rails" (my original "Railroads" feature, not this poor uninteresting copy we have in WTP)
  • Ocean Cities, Space Stations, Mines on Asteroids, ...
  • "Landsrad" (something like a Imperial Council / UN in current days)
  • Massive "War for the Throne" where all player parties chose a side and go into a gigantic clash ...
So many cool ideas, game concepts, protypes that simply make no sense in WTP.
But also way too much effort for a single modder - at least in the quality that I would want to have ...

Top Bottom