[MOD] Strategic unit based tech trading

naf4ever

Dread Lord
OpenTech version .81

Version .81 is now available. This version fixes a small bug with a missing xml file from version .80. This version removes the science rep since its use is now being questioned, even by me. This basically makes the mod more like it was in the original version, but more stable.

Version .71 - Fixed a bug with great scientists from the science rep generating way too often.

This is a significantly improved version over my previous OpenTech model, enough that it warranted a new thread. This mod works great stand-alone but is posted here mainly for people that want to incorporate it into their own.

This mod was originally created for use in my Ultimate Strategy modpack. The goal of it is to fix the imblances that standard tech swapping as seen in the vanilla game produces, especially in multiplayer games. I've found that the current method of tech trading destroys the game in competitive multiplayer games or at higher AI levels. It creates a rush for whatever tech enables tech trading, punishes those that research more freely and dont aim for this tech, enables tech whoring early on which creates huge imbalances, enables exclusive tech cabals that are able to collude and advance exponentially and ridiculously fast, doesn't encourage long-term cooperation when trading and overall ruins the pace of the game.

Heres how version .81 works: (Assuming youve disabled standard tech trading.)

If you see techs in the trade screen that are tradeable like the ones in the "Has available for trade" section:

You can receive a significant research bonus when researching these techs if you have an open borders agreement with those empires. This is the equivlant of technology being transfered from trade routes, from merchants bringing back ideas from foreign lands, from exchanges between academics, etc...

So if you do have an open borders agreement with another player and are researching a tech that they already have you will receive this bonus in all your cities:

This tech exchange bonus will be implemented or removed immedietly if you select techs in the tech screen that arent too far down the line. If you pick a tech 2 or more down the line from the one you're researching then the bonus wont register immedietly but it will get implemented before tech research is calculted at the end of turn. So no research is actually lost.

This mod also works perfectly for the AI as well. They will get the bonus if they meet the criteria.

NOTE: This mod is bundled with a modified version of the Enhanced Foreign Advisor by SupremeOverlord so that the tech screen better reflects the new trading model.

Again big thanks to everyone who's answered my numerous python questions either here on the forums or in messages Ive sent them when making this mod, especially:

Sevo
The Great Apple
Kael
Bhruic
12monkeys
talchas
The Lopez
locutus

and snv for testing...

.81 is the latest version without the science rep unit.

Attachments

• ot81.zip
    66.2 KB · Views: 807
Naf-- Fantastic work on this one! I'm impressed that you managed to simulate the rep working with the AI to keep things balanced. I'll be curious to see how this plays out when people play with it.

As to the AI not being simulated--I'm not totally sure how you might do that other than perhaps place a function in OnBeginPlayerTurn(). You could then:
-Assess which tech the AI is going after
-Determine which player with open borders has the tech
-Determine which of those players is closest/most accessible
-Move the Scientist toward that empire...

Of course, that's a lot easier said that done, but actually, the simulated version you're using is a good substitute. :goodjob:

Good work, except that for more advanced technologies, especially military ones, it doesn't matter if you're in good contact/open borders with a country. They will never give you any little bit of help on techs like military ones unless on a diplomatic table.

Though I agree, for "techs" like government types and libralism: once they're discovered by a nation, should be available for all since nobody really spends "20 years researching democracy". Unless we stimulate that by a period of time, where alot of resources are used for the change of governments (uh, yeah, anarchy length alright! So what am I talking about here?? :D)

Anyway I like the idea, I don't like it bundled with another mod though ^.^

Great mod - and a elegant improvement over OT.5.

However ( :) ) I'd like to reduce the benefit of the exchange to, say, 40% or something significantly lower than 150%. In version 0.5, I was able to tinker with the Py code - but with this version I can see no sign of a multiplier that I can adjust.

How can I change the 150% bonus?

THANKS for a great mod!! This really feels more authentic than "bulk-trading" techs.

Spocko
:crazyeye:

I've figured out how to make No Tech Trading the default choice with this mod (that I've cooked into my own mod), but does anyone know how I could completely remove this option from the game setup screen?

I'm sure that I can comment out "Tech Trading" in some Py screen file (or maybe a list in an XML file), but I've yet to find the magic file.

Thanks!!
Spocko

Spocko said:
I've figured out how to make No Tech Trading the default choice with this mod (that I've cooked into my own mod), but does anyone know how I could completely remove this option from the game setup screen?

I'm sure that I can comment out "Tech Trading" in some Py screen file (or maybe a list in an XML file), but I've yet to find the magic file.

Thanks!!
Spocko

Its very easy, its in the xml files. Just look in civ4buildinginfos.xml. Do a search for "BUILDING_ACADEMY_EXCHANGE" . That is the building that is basically the "tech transfer". then just change the commercemodifier to whatever percentage you like.

Are you basically asking how you can remove tech trading completely regardless if someone has it checked or not on the game screen? This is also pretty easy. Just go to the xml files again. Look in civ4techinfos.xml . Each tech has this option:
Code:
<bTechTrading>0</bTechTrading>

If this is set to "1" then that particular tech will enable tech trading. Which means alphabet is usually the only tech that has this set to 1. So all you need to do is find the tech in your mod which currently enables tech swapping and change it to "0". Then there will be no way standard tech swapping can be enabled in your game because no tech will be the one that enables it.

Hope that helps.

-Naf

Fachy said:
...... Anyway I like the idea, I don't like it bundled with another mod though ^.^

I had to bundle it with the enhanced foreign advisor or else the tech trading screen wouldve been pointless with this mod in its current state. It would never show which techs other people have available for trade. In addition the enhanced foreign advisor is a pretty passive and modest mod. It doesnt really mess up other things too much and is really quite useful for all the other stuff it does to. If you're having problems integrating it into your own mod though because of this let me know and i can help guide you through it.

Thanks, naf4ever for helping... still what I'm looking for is how to make it impossible to allow tech trading while establishing a new game. I found out how to make "No Tech Trading" default to No in the game setup screen (an XML switch <Default>0</Default> in CIV4GameOptionInfos, but I'd like for that option to not even show up at game setup time.

Eventually, I want to enable the trading of an X number of beakers, just like we can trade X coins (per turn, or bulk).

Great mod - thank you!!
Spocko

This seems like it could be VERY useful for my mod. It's a very good idea and I'm positive I will use it :D

:goodjob:

how come there are all of these extra buildings?
I also noticed that with warlards there are now two great walls (one's greatwall)

This is a pretty nice mod component. Does anyone know how this applies to team play though? Teams get each other's techs automatically. Would they have an even more unfair advantage if no one can tech swap to catch up to a team? The specific situation would be, say, 3 players playing without a team and one two man team.

could you convert to BtS?

Top Bottom