ModCast Episode 56: "What Is That Supposed to Imply"

As neither Jennifer Lawrence nor Robert de Niro will be appearing in modcast in the near future, let's get back on track with the thread please :). I'm glad that the "boys from the 'cast" are getting a good reception and that you've enjoyed our last couple of episodes!

This one's definitely been a treat to record. Dan, applause for good editing - you've made it once again into a piece that one can listen to and not get too lost in the way. :D

:sad::sad::sad:

Never give up hope!
great episode!

Dan, applause for good editing - you've made it once again into a piece that one can listen to and not get too lost in the way. :D
You are welcome, and thank you for the kind words. :) I appreciate the content that you and your fellow panelists recorded to give me material to work with in the first place.

Now, I take it that the times one is getting lost in this episode is a good thing... :mischief:

Never give up hope!
great episode!
:cool:

Out of curiosity, how long have you been listening to ModCast?

Episode 53, I think.

Out of curiosity, how long have you been listening to ModCast?
Pretty much only since the current crew were the panel members. Before that I was pretty much unaware of it, probably because I wasn't active on the forum much before then.

And I still say that whenever Rob refers to Anno Domini I still get the visual in my head of Sir Lawrence Olivier. Which means, I guess, that if whoward ever did appear as a guest on the show, I'd be required to picture him in my head as Charles Laughton.

My only real problem with the cast as it is now comprised is that when they all get excited about an idea and they start talking faster it's a little hard for this poor NorthAmerican to follow the conversation because of well, acccent issues. Strangely, Janboruta never presents this trouble for me, perhaps because he is always trying to take more care with diction and such since he is always struggling at disadvantage with a language not his 'milktongue'. Or maybe it's just me and my Midwestern US 'twang' (as I've heard some non-US-ers refer to it) makes it harder for me to follow English when ennunciated in the way Their Majesties always intended English to be spoken.

Strangely, Janboruta never presents this trouble for me, perhaps because he is always trying to take more care with diction and such since he is always struggling at disadvantage with a language not his 'milktongue'.

Despite being exposed for more than 20 years to English, my speaking abilities in the language are still pretty limited. Lack of practice for years, I think, is the culprit. I tend to make a lot more pronunciation mistakes when speaking quickly, so I prefer to take my time - even though I fear I might bore the other panelists to death.

I too sometimes have trouble understanding thick British-born accents, as most probably does most of the non-British world. I guess we just aren't lucky enough. :p

It's weird, Polish accents take a while to get used to, but the one I'm not used to is AlphaShard's.

Mainly because he never talks.

Despite being exposed for more than 20 years to English, my speaking abilities in the language are still pretty limited. Lack of practice for years, I think, is the culprit. I tend to make a lot more pronunciation mistakes when speaking quickly, so I prefer to take my time - even though I fear I might bore the other panelists to death.

I too sometimes have trouble understanding thick British-born accents, as most probably does most of the non-British world. I guess we just aren't lucky enough. :p
Actually, I think your pronunciation is pretty good. (Other than the accent, which you can't really blame anyone for) IMO the biggest problem is that you tend to pause a lot while speaking, presumably to find the right word, but it doesn't actually decrease clarity much.

You and sukritact are excellent with English; I'm quite jealous. I can't speak French nearly that well (since I'm only on my third year of instruction) At any rate, a lot better with English than anyone I know (other than probably my foreign language teachers at school, whose job is to speak a foreign language everyday) is with any foreign language.

Or maybe it's just me and my Midwestern US 'twang' (as I've heard some non-US-ers refer to it) makes it harder for me to follow English when ennunciated in the way Their Majesties always intended English to be spoken.
Midwestern here too. :D Which, IMO, is the most normal-sounding American accent to have. Unless you live on a farm and have a stereotypical farmer accent, which I don't.

---

ModCast is certainly my favorite of the podcasts, but I'm not sure if that's because of the modding content or because I actually know who the cohosts are. At any rate, since I'm always doing something else while listening, I usually zone out for a good 20 minutes in the middle of the ModCast.

Episode 53, I think.
Welcome, new listener! Though the majority of the show's episode archives are rooted in Civilization IV, there are some those that focus on CivV too.

Pretty much only since the current crew were the panel members. Before that I was pretty much unaware of it, probably because I wasn't active on the forum much before then.
Fair enough. As with GP, the show's full episode archives are available if and when one or more past episodes catch your interest.

My only real problem with the cast as it is now comprised is that when they all get excited about an idea and they start talking faster it's a little hard for this poor NorthAmerican to follow the conversation because of well, acccent issues.
A vote for the removal of excitement in the panel's conversations then, understood. ;)

ModCast is certainly my favorite of the podcasts, but I'm not sure if that's because of the modding content or because I actually know who the cohosts are.
I expect the source of your view is a combination of the two points you cite, given that you mention them in tandem with one another. :)

Top Bottom