Most Frustrating Feature

Dactyl

Warlord
Okay, so I'm exploring the ocean with a patrol boat. I click on an unexplored hex. The boat motors on over there, and attacks an alien that happens to be there. What the heck? Why can't you ask me whether or not I want to attack? Likewise, sometimes I'll be surrounded by aliens in a forested area on a Terran map. I'll inadvertently try to move into a hex occupied by an alien because I misread the map, and again I attack the alien with the result that my unit gets destroyed by the remaining aliens. I know that there is a display on the lower left that gives attack odds, but I rarely look at that when I'm making ordinary moves. Again, why can't you ask me whether or not I want to attack?

This seems like a non-problem to me. You think the game should impose limits (here, I guess more of a speed-bump) on human initiative, for fear of human inadvertence and inattention? You are telling your unit to go forth and occupy a given tile (and, implicitly, to forcibly eject whoever might happen to be sitting on that tile). The game will already caution you against DOWing another civ, but why should it protect you from aliens? Blindly telling a unit to proceed to occupy a tile on which you do not have current sight seems cavalier. Sure, it takes longer to direct the unit to move tile by tile, deciding where to go next based on what becomes visible, but that is prudent game-play.

Okay, so I'm exploring the ocean with a patrol boat. I click on an unexplored hex. The boat motors on over there, and attacks an alien that happens to be there. What the heck? Why can't you ask me whether or not I want to attack? Likewise, sometimes I'll be surrounded by aliens in a forested area on a Terran map. I'll inadvertently try to move into a hex occupied by an alien because I misread the map, and again I attack the alien with the result that my unit gets destroyed by the remaining aliens. I know that there is a display on the lower left that gives attack odds, but I rarely look at that when I'm making ordinary moves. Again, why can't you ask me whether or not I want to attack?

If you want to ensure that use the 'move command' instead of just clicking

just clicking it assumes you want to 'do what is most natural' to that tile...if a unit is there, the natural thing to do is attack.

Unfortunately they removed strategic view for the 'misreading the map' problem
They do have autosave, so just reload the last autosave if you misclicked. (annoying, but it does solve the problem)

That is quite lame, in my opinion.

Mostly needlessly tedious.

That is quite lame, in my opinion.

Mostly needlessly tedious.

I agree, it might be good to consider clicking on an unexplored/out of vision hex to be considered a move command.

and they really need to get some type of strategic view.

One thing is to move into a visible tile which has an alien in it. The game will naturally think you want to attack, and there's nothing wrong with that interpretation. Throwing in an "are you sure?" or equivalent every time you right-click on an alien is nonsense.

However, another thing entirely is moving into the fog of war and ending up automatically attacking an alien who was in the way and you couldn't see it without tip-toeing one hex at a time. The user-friendly way would be to stop pathed movement if there's an unexpected obstacle in the way.

Top Bottom