Most powerful new civs in G&K?

So far... it seems Spain is the most OP civ IF they start near a wonder and find it first. You buy settler, settle next to the wonder by like turn 10, get double benefit from wonder, then have essentially a second city just as powerful as the capital right away. If Spain doesn't find wonders until later in the game, or can't settle a wonder, or finds a wonder second and it is a weaker wonder to settle, then they aren't so strong.

Austria: if you play with "advanced" people on deity and get Austria, focus on complete a few quests and for only 335 gold u get a huge city, full of buildings, workers, and a giant army! The higher the difficutly level the more of a boost Austria gets!

Huns: if you start next to somebody and hit a ruin upgrade for the warrior to battering ram, just 2 battering ram hits will take the capital! I think in the longer term there is nothing special about them, except there can be some lucky starts.

So far, these are the only 3 OMFG!!! civs/situations I have come across, I am sure there are more.:confused:

I've played a few games as Carthage, and the instant free harbour without having to research Compass is really good - if you spam settlers and spread out along a coastline you can have four or five trade connected cities within a few dozen turns and get all that money without having to pay for roads.

Launching surprise attacks over mountains never gets old either :lol:

Ethiopia ; 20% combat bonus is significant. Stele almost guarentees a pantheon.

maya archer spam

boudica- pictish warrior bonus and early spammable unit, faith advntage with forest.

huns horse archer is quite good

GL is much stronger now

cats dont need iron and crush cities

I've played a few games as Carthage, and the instant free harbour without having to research Compass is really good - if you spam settlers and spread out along a coastline you can have four or five trade connected cities within a few dozen turns and get all that money without having to pay for roads.

Launching surprise attacks over mountains never gets old either :lol:

Pretty sure they don't give trade routes until you get Compass.

Nope, you get the trade route as soon as you get Wheel. Carthage is overpowered, as long as all their city border an ocan.

And dont forget that they dont get the bonus road movement, so they are easier to invade, as most of their city will be isolated.

Nope, you get the trade route as soon as you get Wheel. Carthage is overpowered, as long as all their city border an ocan.

And dont forget that they dont get the bonus road movement, so they are easier to invade, as most of their city will be isolated.

Yep, you end up with a long, thin, roadless country. Citadels along the land border help a lot with defence, but at the expense of angering your neighbours. An offensive war with an inland neighbour is out of the question unless you out-tech the opponent.

So my Carthage strategy is

1) Spam settlers along the coast in both directions. Do this at the expense of early growth in the capital.
2) Keep going as far as you can, but once you've reached the limits, it's time to turtle
3) Try and get a GG for each civ along your land border, and create a defensive line of citadels and forts.
4) Spend the extra trade gold on science improvements to out-tech the neighbours
5) Don't bother with roads, because it's just spending money and time. Beeline for railroad for the production bonus - which you get instantly in every coastal city because of all the free harbours!

Top Bottom