Multiplayer question: Is the AI better?

oPunchDrunko

Prince
Did they make the AI in multiplayer smarter? I remember reading in one of the patch notes that they made the AI the same as single player AI.

Moderator Action: Moved to the MP section.

And nope. The regular MP players will tell you that it's more passive in MP than in SP.

How updated is that? I thought this last patch made the AI as competitive in MP as it is in SP...

I don't play MP though, I can't tell...

Competitive and passive are 2 different words.

They are more passive(they never contact you for a deal) but equally competitive. I think they are more aggressive in mp(they build more units and declare war more often).

If you want a deal just contact them.

I don't necessarily mind them not contacting me. I was so tired of them whoring themselves to me in Civ4, constantly demanding or begging for stuff. I would expect that the AI would be just as aggressive as the single player mode, as to why the developers did not implement that I would be confused.

Long time SP player, soon to try MP. I have many questions! :confused: Here is one:

Do MP games include some humans and some AI civs? If that is sometimes the case, then in games where all civs are human and there are no barbs or CS, what role is left for AI?

Long time SP player, soon to try MP. I have many questions! :confused: Here is one:

Do MP games include some humans and some AI civs? If that is sometimes the case, then in games where all civs are human and there are no barbs or CS, what role is left for AI?

I almost only exclusively play MP, as I find it so much more fun with friends. We always throw in twice the number of AI as players into the game.

If everything is removed for the AI to do, then I would say there isn't anything.

I almost only exclusively play MP, as I find it so much more fun with friends. We always throw in twice the number of AI as players into the game.

If everything is removed for the AI to do, then I would say there isn't anything.

Thanks tc......so in your games, AI plays a really significant role. Does the host assign a single difficulty level for all AI and all humans? If so, what level do you play at and why? From some posts, I gather that it is possible to have a variety of difficulty levels in a single game. Is that true and if so, what is the justification or advantage of it (sounds like some kind of handicap device)?

Yes, I play with a significant AI presence. Generally we as the human players will pick on them first then turn on each other once we have them bullied into manageable pockets. We play games on huge worlds with Noble difficulty. You can change the players difficulty and with some minor tweaking in XML the AI too. Its all about handicap, but I caution in using it because early on we thought we were giving the AI the benefit, but was thinking backwards and was actually making it harder for them. So just think it through.

They are a lot more passive in MP alright. Passive enough for a friend of mine who coops with me to brag that he always nabs the wonders and maintains a lead higher than me.:rolleyes:

Ugh! I just realized that this is the Civilization V forums and not the IV. I do not play MP on V and sorry to say find it substandard in almost every way to IV.

I normally only comment in the IV forums but I do own V and must have made a comment here ages ago.

I am sorry for any confusion that my above comments has caused.

No problem tc, your comments are useful anyway.

Could someone tell me if AI civs are used in Civ 5 MP games and if so, how are difficulty levels managed?

Could someone tell me if AI civs are used in Civ 5 MP games and if so, how are difficulty levels managed?

The only multiplayer I ever play is on LAN.Me and my brother had a game recently where we had at least six AIs and just me and him as humans.I don't think we did anything to their difficulty, though.But both of us were Dow'd at least once by an AI.

Still, I never play on the Internet, so I don't know how they're used on there.Sorrry.:(

Okay Korea, thanks.

From other posts, I gather that it is possible to set a variety of difficulty levels in MP (eg., one for AI, one for player A, another for player B). In general, could someone describe how difficulty levels are handled in MP?

Also, how is trade handled in MP? Can you trade with AI, with a human ally, with a human opponent? In advance, thanks for any available help!

From other posts, I gather that it is possible to set a variety of difficulty levels in MP (eg., one for AI, one for player A, another for player B). In general, could someone describe how difficulty levels are handled in MP?

Also, how is trade handled in MP? Can you trade with AI, with a human ally, with a human opponent? In advance, thanks for any available help!

Example : Player 1 set prince. Player 2 set king.

Both players start with same happiness amount and culture rate(prince to deity). Player 1 get a ''prince'' bonus against barbs. Player 2 get a ''king'' bonus against barbs. I don't know about city states. Players fighting each other are equal.

You can trade with human ally for gold, gpt. You can give units. You can't trade ressources. you can trade to a human opponent same things than AI excepted that he will probably propose something smart and refuse pathetic demands :)

I've been playing MP since launch. MP has seen a lot improvements from updates. As of right now in the vanilla version MP games feels almost like SP with the exception of AI won't approach you unless its war, meaning you won't hear from them about trade opportunities or alliance for war.

Though the AI still stink at war (king and prince), I tried pulling off a "CIA operation" by gifting Genghis Khan AI with a lot of modern units when he was fighting with another human player that has matching units, but Genghis Khan simply move those units about and not to the front lines (vanilla, but after G&K update).

If they add in AI contacting you in multiplayer and leaderheads, then I think I'll finally be satisfied with Civ5 multiplayer.

Top Bottom