Multiple installs?

Who still installs software more than once using Steam? All you need to do is copy your games folder over to your other computer/partition/whatever.

Actually, same is true with World of Warcraft. I didn't install mine when I bought a new computer. I just copied the entire folder from my old computer.

Are you sure about this? I don't have a tremendous amount of experience with Steam, but every game I've ever had with it has allowed offline LAN play, and even allowed quite a few people to LAN using a single person's account. Granted, most of the games I've played with Steam have been older FPS games like CS, CS:S, Day of Defeat, HL . . . but for all of them I've played on a LAN with no internet access and ~10 people per account.

I was under the impression that offline LAN account sharing was by default allowed with Steam for most of their games, though again I'm only moderately experienced with Steam.

I believe there will be a way, just like how there is a way to play L4D on LAN with two accounts, however, I will see, it is just a giant pain in the butt to get that kind of setup running. I would rather go spend another $50 than set it up like that. (Well, depending on how Fraxis sets up online play. Hell, with Civ IV, you could play online without even owning a real copy of the game, by today's standards, that practice is long gone.)

I think I read somewhere that you can only install it once. Ever. If you need to install it again at any point you aren't even allowed to buy a new copy because they have a one copy per customer policy. Instead they tell you to call their tech support, but they won't actually help you, they just want to laugh at you and tell you that you shouldn't have bought that new computer. And that tech support line costs $5 per minute which is a total ripoff, clearly. Firaxis and 2K are such jerks. I'm definitely cancelling my preorder.

absolutely not true.

If I were to go ahead and pre-order the Civ V (from any number of pre-order websites), how many different installs could I do? I am running a mac pro (tower), so I would like to do one install using Bootcamp (so it starts up ONLY in windows), another install on Parallels Desktop (since Civ IV seemed to work using Parallels), and in the future, it would be nice to also install the game on a mac laptop (with the same parameters as above.

Whatchu guys be thinkin'?

You can install on all of them, but I recommend playing on the Mac Pro (good GPU+Good CPU)

There is no limit to the downloads, however only one can be online at any given time

Must you use Steam to play LAN based games, and if so do you only need one copy of Civ 5 to play on both computers?

Yeah, you'll have to be in online mode to play in a LAN - it's not really playing in a LAN, you'll need an outside internet connection to communicate with Steam. Though, this is based on previous Steam games, there is much we don't know about Civ V. I highly doubt you can LAN with just a single copy. Few games let you do that, really. Support Firaxis and buy your other account it's own legit copy! :)

Sigh...At the top of this subforum's front page is a stickied thread entitled "Official Civilization V Steamworks FAQ".
Many Steam questions are answered in the first post of that thread.
This is what 2KGreg says about LAN play:

Q. Will it be possible to play multiplayer via LAN when running Steam in offline mode?
A. Yes, LAN play will function when in offline mode.

Just a few posts further down the thread you will find the following exchange:

Yes, this was very similar to my original question. My wife and I often play Civ IV together on our LAN at home. Are we going to need two Steam accounts for this to work? And, if so, does that mean that we need to purchase two copies of Civ V? That would be quite unfortunate...

Da Rabbit
In order for two people to play Civilization V simultaneously, you will need two copies of the game.

Although...later in the thread there is further discussion about whether this is actually enforced and the answers are "morally rigid" but technically ambiguous. :crazyeye:

Top Bottom