(NAB) 1.22 Tech Adv. Calc. Error

Status
Not open for further replies.
[c3c] 1.22

In the midst of a turn, with no other action by the player and no increase in population the turns to finish the tech dropped from 5 to 1.

To repeat download save: Save
Note turns to advance. End turn. Note turns to advance. Move a unit and then note the drop from 5 to 1.

Hope this is another one of my "Oh! is that what the rules say" instead of a bug.

One or more AI civs that you know acquired knowledge of Polytheism. When techs become known among civs, the research and trade value of such techs drop, reducing the number of beakers needed, and therefore reducing the number of turns until your discovery.

Originally posted by Catt
One or more AI civs that you know acquired knowledge of Polytheism. When techs become known among civs, the research and trade value of such techs drop, reducing the number of beakers needed, and therefore reducing the number of turns until your discovery.

Catt,

are you sure about this?
I always thought that the costs for a new tech would have been calculated at the first turn and then would stay constant during the researching time (similar to the goto-movement as an example).

Interesting, this is indeed the case. Is this new or is it yet another thing that I have been oblivious to for well over a year?

The tech costs gets recalculated immediately. IIRC this has always been a feature. The sudden change in beakers required can even lead to situations where you can completely shut off research and still get the tech next turn.

Originally posted by lbhhh
The tech costs gets recalculated immediately. IIRC this has always been a feature. The sudden change in beakers required can even lead to situations where you can completely shut off research and still get the tech next turn.

lbhhh is quite right -- the costs drop immediately. If you've ever been researching hard for a tech, investing a lot of beakers, and suddenly had your research time drop from, say, 4 turns to 1 turn, you can be certain that several civs now know your target tech (and your trading plans for that tech have changed!). Later in the game, when tech costs are quite high, you can be 3 or 4 turns from a tech, have it discovered / acquired by many other civs, and shut off all research but leave a lone scientist for one turn (you have effectively overpaid for the tech) or alternatively, just buy it immediately for a paltry sum.

EDIT: @SewerStarFish -- it's not new; been that way as long as I can remember. END EDIT

This is not a bug. Look at the techs that both America and the Maya have. Current save - they don't have Poly. Next turn, they get Poly, so your research time goes from what would have been 4 to 1. This isn't a bug, but normal tech depreciation. Even at 10%, it goes from 33 turns, to 1 turn. It's also on Regent, which helps your tech cost.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom