New(ish) Patch and major turn lag

huserib

Chieftain
I'm not sure what's going on. It's been awhile since I played, so after steam finished downloading a patch I fired up the game. Currently, every end turn is laggy as hell. NPC units moving in my LOS simply lag across the screen. I can no longer smoothly scroll the map while the turn is playing. Everything is, in essence, jittery. Sometimes this happens during my turn as well, though it's not as pronounced.

I've tried new video drivers and turning down my MaxSimultaneousThreads from 8 to 4. Nothing has helped. CPU peaks at 30% on each core, Memory is only at 57%. This happens in DX9 and DX10 mode.

Any thoughts or similar experiences?

Do you mean the latest patch?
Perhaps the patch messed up something on your current save file, generating the lag. Try creating another game to see if the problem persist. If so, is perhaps that.

Otherwise the patch might have messed up some other file. Clearing the cache and verify the local files with Steam may also help.

Well it has been awhile, but I finally figured out my problem by accident. I had tried to get the game working this weekend, and still suffered the same problems despite cleaning out my video drivers and playing with thread options in the config.ini. However, by happenstance I happened to have a network monitor running since I was doing some terminal work and noticed little 'blips' of activity for every end turn. After a more detailed analysis I realized that Civ5 was writing to the "MyGames" folder on every turn, even if it wasn't saving.

The problem for me is that "MyGames" is a network path since I use offline files. The fix was trivial, but a nuisance, and that is to temporarily go 'offline' while playing civ5, forcing it to use the cached files. Unfortunately this means no multilayer for me until I can figure out a workaround, but at least I can play now. I'm posting this here for posterity in case anyone else has the same problem.

Well you can set MyGames to not be a network file.
Otherwise you can fiddle with the registry file, and manually change any reference to my games to a non-network folder where you store your civ5 settings. It may work, but you may need help though.

EDIT: Uhmm, also you can upgrade your net cable to better speed, it may improve your overall turn.

Top Bottom