Resource icon

New mod beta: WildWeazel's Change Request 1.1 Beta

My war against England was going well until I found that units cannot join armies. :cringe: The army unit was left in an unusable state after tinkering with the idea of giving it an HP bonus instead of holding multiple units, which I'm still considering.
I haven't tried this yet, but I've been toying with the notion of having Armies be single Units with the joint effects of a "Combined Arms" Unit: the strongest A/D of one of each of the strongest A&D Units available at the time, plus Defensive Bombard (… lethal in ZOCs?) Of course, Armies can't be Upgraded - which is a matter I think I'll add to Flintlock's lengthy request list.

There were plenty of factories prior to the use of electricity, among them the Whitworth and Armstrong armament factories in England, the Krupp works in Germany, the French armament works, and the factories producing steam locomotives and railroad iron. You might want to take a lot at the Report of the Gun Foundry in 1884, which can be found here: https://archive.org/details/cu31924030759785
I've taken to differentiating "Manufactories" (available with Replaceable Parts) from "Electrical Power Plants," with the Manufactories never being replaced nor gone obsolete (I simply consider their assembly lines to be upgraded as "Time Marches On.")

@Quintillus - I get all sorts of malware warnings (which I bypass) yet there's no file to be found on your "1.24 Legacy" link.
Thanks for pointing that out. It seems that none of the non-image/web page files are downloadable anymore for some reason, although I still see them and can download them when I sign in to my email account. In the meantime, I've attached that specify version to this post.

Attachments

• ConquestsEditor1.24Legacy.zip
    1.5 MB · Views: 9
@Quintillus - I get all sorts of malware warnings (which I bypass) yet there's no file to be found on your "1.24 Legacy" link.
Which browser were you using by chance? I see the same issue (sans malware warnings) with Vivaldi, which is based on Chrome, but it works as expected in Firefox, Microsoft Edge, and Netscape Navigator. My guess would be that Google is preventing the downloads as they are via http rather than https.

I may be able to send in a support ticket and get it sorted, but if Google is blocking it at the browser level, I'll probably have to just put a "Works Best with Firefox" sign above the list of old versions.

Update: Yeah, looks like Chrome and most of its cousins block http downloads. You can get them to work by right clicking and choosing "Save Link As". It will probably still give a warning (I don't use Chrome, so I can't say exactly what it will say), but can then be downloaded.
I needed to ask Lanzelot to do something similar for me.
I can also perform those tasks! You can ask either one of us.

Last edited:
Which browser were you using by chance? I see the same issue (sans malware warnings) with Vivaldi, which is based on Chrome, but it works as expected in Firefox, Microsoft Edge, and Netscape Navigator. My guess would be that Google is preventing the downloads as they are via http rather than https.
The malware warnings came in Microsoft Edge from both Malwarebytes and Kaspersky browser plug-ins.
I can also perform those tasks! You can ask either one of us.
:D

Hmm... I can at least confirm that the download is in fact the editor, and once downloaded, Malwarebytes is returning it as clean. I'm a bit surprised you're still using Kaspersky, at one point I used it, but given its founder's KGB connections and the record of the Russian government over the past decade, I wouldn't trust it nowadays. ESET is my current preference, although I have to admit that the free sample of Norton that came with my laptop was actually not terrible.

WildWeazel mods, on the other hand? Highly trustworthy.

Hmm... I can at least confirm that the download is in fact the editor, and once downloaded, Malwarebytes is returning it as clean. I'm a bit surprised you're still using Kaspersky, at one point I used it, but given its founder's KGB connections and the record of the Russian government over the past decade, I wouldn't trust it nowadays. ESET is my current preference, although I have to admit that the free sample of Norton that came with my laptop was actually not terrible.

WildWeazel mods, on the other hand? Highly trustworthy.
Re: Kaspersky - (1) I don't have anything national-security worthy on my machines ( :shifty: ) (2) I devised a genuinely unique way to safeguard passwords (45 years in IT & All That) (3) I also run regular Malwarebytes, PCDoctor, & CCleaner scans, with that last being 100% :thumbsup: for the 1,000s of Trackers the others miss … plus Secure Boot and BitDefender. My only real concern would be the new firmware malware going around, but Secure Boot guards against that. Plus Kaspersky has some features I really like, especially its "Secure Money" browsing option.

VM is back up, so I tried Liberica 8 for Windows and its installer couldn't even run. :o I'll have to try your 1.24 Legacy version next. What's it doing that openjdk doesn't provide anyway?

After fixing the Army I started another game as Japan that looks promising, but so far no great leaders. It took a few false starts to get this far and I even played one out to lose in 40 minutes. I forget how precarious starting locations can be on smaller maps.

I haven't tried this yet, but I've been toying with the notion of having Armies be single Units with the joint effects of a "Combined Arms" Unit: the strongest A/D of one of each of the strongest A&D Units available at the time, plus Defensive Bombard (… lethal in ZOCs?) Of course, Armies can't be Upgraded - which is a matter I think I'll add to Flintlock's lengthy request list.
Well, an "Army" unit cannot be upgraded, but what you're describing sounds more like a King unit. I don't think there's any requirement for the "Build Army" unit to have the "Army' flag.

My second Japan game was getting interesting, but I found out I had screwed up the upgrade paths with all the changes to the medieval units. Japan had access to both Samurai and Medieval Infantry, which caused some strange behavior.

Ah, but there is. That was the initial feature of my editor (link in sig), way back in 2009 (but use the editor instead, various small improvements have been made over the years). Open two BIQs (ignoring the warning that opening two BIQs isn't recommended), choose the section(s) you'd like to compare, make sure the "English" box is selected, and export it to a file. It'll show the differences between e.g. units with the same name, but also the new units such as the Grenadier. ("English" means where possible it will say things like "Upgrades to Knight" rather than "Upgrades to 42" if 42 is the index of the Knight)
I finally got 1.24 with openjdk8 on Linux, and it worked- mostly. It's not able to load some pcx files that are not where it expects them to be (is it supposed to work with the Steam Complete edition?) and the BIQ comparison didn't use the English names which made for a lot of false positives around changed unit and tech indices. But I was finally able to see a diff, which led to finding, fixing, and documenting the issues below. One thing I can't make sense of this:
Code:
name: Iron Works
SmallWonderCharacteristics: 0 | 512
I don't know what that field means, and I can't see any difference between them in the editor.

Great feature, by the way! Your editor came out just around the time I stopped doing serious editor work, and I had never bothered to get it set up.

Anyway, that turned up several more issues:
  • Medieval unit upgrades were all wrong
  • Great Lighthouse did not become obsolete due to the removal of Magnetism
  • Neither Musketman nor F-15 were available to America, from my abandoned use of the Minuteman
  • Cannons didn't upgrade, due to removal of Hwach'a
  • Charles V did not have the right settings for a king unit
and several more that I'd forgotten were my changes:
  • Workers are foot units, so they can be airlifted by helicopter
  • Ancient Cavalry have +1 attack instead of +1 HP, and upgrade to Knight
  • Man-o-war does not enslave (??? apparently this was a bug in the original patch)
  • Increased modern unit bombardment ranges: radartillery to 3, cruise missile to 6, tacnuke to 8
  • Increased helicopter operational range to 8, which I reverted
In light of all that, I'll be restarting my playtest again and a 1.1 update will be coming shortly, now that I have much more confidence in the changes.

I finally got 1.24 with openjdk8 on Linux, and it worked- mostly. It's not able to load some pcx files that are not where it expects them to be (is it supposed to work with the Steam Complete edition?) and the BIQ comparison didn't use the English names which made for a lot of false positives around changed unit and tech indices. But I was finally able to see a diff, which led to finding, fixing, and documenting the issues below. One thing I can't make sense of this:
That is probably the best write-up of the practical use of the BIQ Compare feature I've seen yet - including my write-ups of it! I should add a "Tips & Tricks" item on using the BIQ Compare feature to spot potential unintended changes.

PCX files should be findable on the Steam version; I use it with the CD version on my old desktop, but the Steam (and sometimes GOG) versions on my current laptop. It should also be able to account for file paths on Linux (there was/is an issue with Wine versions on Mac, but that's Mac-specific as the file structure on the Aspyr Mac release is different). I've tried the CD version on Linux but not specifically the Steam version on Linux, although just as likely is that there's a bug that was fixed between 1.24 and 1.48. Updating the legacy version to be more up-to-date is something I almost completed in March, but my personal goal of an April 1st release date for the update slipped by. Which I suppose means my question is, did it give an error message (either in the UI, or in the log.txt file) about where it was searching for the PCX files that it didn't find. It should at least put in the logs where it was searching, which usually gives a good hint of why it couldn't find it.

name: Iron Works SmallWonderCharacteristics: 0 | 512
Yeah... that is printing out a bitfield. 512 in Small Wonder Characteristics means "required goods must be in city radius", so this means that in one of the two BIQs being compared, it wasn't required to be in the city radius, and in the other one, it was. (I also checked the documentation to make sure that's what 512 really was, it's not just the best-guess based on what would make sense)

Looking at the code, it looks like it should have also printed something like:

Code:
  GoodsMustBeInCityRadius: false | true

Below the SmallWonderCharacteristics?

If so, I should probably remove the 0 | 512 and instead put something like, "Differences listed below"; if not, that is a matter for investigation.

WWCR 1.1 is here!

New changes

- Internet requires Computers instead of Miniaturization
- Reverted Helicopter operational range to 6
- Created a clean scenario folder "wwcr" to avoid conflicting with patch_suggestion

Bug fixes

- Removed references to Minuteman unit from Civilopedia
- Removed Korean units
- Restored Army capacity to 3
- Corrected Middle Ages unit upgrade paths
- Restored The Great Lighthouse obsolesence at Navigation
- Restored availability of Musketman and F-15 units to America
- Restored Cannon upgrade to Artillery
- Corrected Charles V King unit settings

Attachments

• WildWeazelChangeRequestMod_1.1_BETA.zip
    1.2 MB · Views: 8
WildWeazel updated WildWeazel's Change Request with a new update entry:

v1.1 Beta Update

v1.1 April 2024

New changes

- Internet requires Computers instead of Miniaturization
- Reverted Helicopter operational range to 6
- Created a clean scenario folder "wwcr" to avoid conflicting with patch_suggestion

Bug fixes

- Removed references to Minuteman unit from Civilopedia
- Removed Korean units
- Restored Army capacity to 3
- Corrected Middle Ages unit upgrade paths
- Restored The Great Lighthouse obsolesence at Navigation
- Restored availability of Musketman and F-15...

Read the rest of this update entry...

Top Bottom