New Unit: Chin Spearman

Originally posted by Prometeus
... and a pikeman. :)
Why don't you make the units yourself?

Looks like cut and paste to me... that shouldn't be so hard, just time consuming and maybe a little boring ;).

I'm having a problem with the large civilopedia pic, It turns up all black in the game. I've been modding forever now, so I know how to add new stuff, and I've checked my type, I think it might be a pallate problem. Any chance we could get a new one?

I think the problem might be it's in 16million colors instead of 256... If you can change that go ahead... If not let me know and I'll post a new version.

This unit isn't necessarily a boxer either. The weapon is a classic chinese one (can't remember the name now, I had a friend who studied it) and the haircut is just from the manchu time period. The clothes could be peasant's clothes from pretty much any time in chinese history. I'd say to be historically accurate, this unit could be used for anything post 1644ish (when the manchus took over) to around 1911-1920. But it's a fantastic unit anyway, even if the name is misleading. Don't know if kinboat ever meant for it to be associated with the Qin Dynasty or not.

Ok... ok... I figured I'd get called out for that one :) I intended the unit to be a replacement for the spearman, which means ancient or medieval China... I quess I though Chin would be more recognizable than Boxer :) I would like to make a more accurate Chin (or Qin depending on who's saying it :) ) warrior but at the moment time doesn't permit. It'll go on my to do list.

Great unit. Historically it can fit really well for the Qing Dynasty of China (the last in Imperial China, manzhurian dynasty that lasted from 1644 till 1915 if my memory does not fail me) - due to his hair style and general looks.

Thanks Kinboat !!!

Fixed Large PCX file for the civilopedia...

Attachments

• Fixed_PCX_Large.zip
    4.1 KB · Views: 107
WHOOT! FIRST POST TO REPLY!
AND DOWNLOAD!

ill download right away!

great PCX file! best graphics ive ever seen!

you sure live up to your name ;)

Six months too late but anyway...

The Qin (Chin) dynasty (221BC-206BC)- apparently the first unified, autocratic dynastic state in Chinese history. Emperor Qin Shi Huang supervised the construction of the Great Wall, burnt most of the books in his empire to prevent freethinking, and ordered the construction of the Terra-Cotta Army.

The Qing (Ching) dynasty (1644-1911AD)- established by the Manchus, a confederation of semi-nomadic non-Han Chinese tribes from north of the Great Wall (northeastern China). They instituted a form of apartheid over the Han Chinese, and imposed the wearing of queues as a sign of subjugation. For civ unit purposes the early Manchus have more in common with the Mongols than the Chinese.

Today the Han Chinese consider the Qin dynasty to be part of their heritage, but consider the Qing dynasty to be a conquest or foreign dynasty (which they were).

Since Qin and Qing seem to sound so much alike it's quite understandable that some would make the mistake of mixing them up. ;)

By the way: instituted a form of apartheid over the Han Chinese, and imposed the wearing of queues as a sign of subjugation.

The so-called "Han" Chinese ("Han Chinese" is a made-up concept that the early Nationalists invented) were actually not as mistreated by the Manchu rulers as current people (particularly nationalists) claim and exaggerate. Emperor Kangxi and Qianlong were great admirers of Chinese culture and as a professor of Chinese culture (who is from Fudan University) once said in his class, the early Qing emperors "Out-Chinesed the Chinese themselves." Interestingly, while modern Chinese claim the Tang Dynasty to be part of their heritage (I'm 'Chinese' myself ;) ), one of the Tang emperors was actually part Turk.

Now back on topic :) :
This sort of unit would probably serve more as a Qing era conscript unit, as Qing soldiers had a more elaborate uniform. The clothing of this unit makes it more like a peasant so I'll probably have it used as a draft unit to represent conrscription of peasants. :)

It should sort of be like the Guerilla in standard Civ3 - the "poor man's infantry". Cheap to build with mediocre stats. :) Or perhaps it could serve simply a defensive purpose by being a "militia" unit of some sort.

I should probably have said "instituted a form of apartheid" and left it at that. There was still plenty of anti-Qing feeling about, Ming loyalists that formed the basis of secret societies etc. The fact that the Qing emperors and the Manchus in general learnt Chinese language and culture and mastered it doesn't mean they necessarily thought they were Chinese, or failed to distinguish between themselves and their subjects- familiarity probably helped to strengthen their rule.

BTW seen any decent Manchu banner flavoured units floating about?

Hmmmmmm Maaaanchuuuu :drool:

If not i might have to make some.

Top Bottom