[BTS] News: BOTM 269 - Julius Caesar, Immortal - Starts 1 March

DynamicSpirit

Fear him of the pink tie
GOTM Staff

BOTM 269: Julius Caesar of Rome.

This time it's time to go crazy! You have a completely unedited fantasy realm map. And a tough difficulty level to boot. Your one possible asset is that Rome has a very cool unique unit!

Game settings:
Playing as: Julius Caesar of Rome
Rivals: 6 AIs
Difficulty: Immortal
Starting Era:
Ancient
Speed: Normal
Options: None (This means goody hugs and events are on)
Victory Conditions: All enabled

Map settings:
Map: Fantasy Realm
World Wrap: Toroidal
Mapsize: Standard
Climate: Temperate
Sea level: Medium
Map latitudes: -90°S to 90°N

Julius Caesar is Organized and Imperialistic, and you start with Fishing and Mining.

The Organized trait gives -50% civic upkeep and double production speed of Courthouse, Factory and Lighthouse

The Imperialistic trait gives +100% great general emergence and +50% production of settlers

Unique unit: Praetorian (replaces Swordsman)
Enemies fear the praetorian! It is extremely powerful for such an early unit, having a base strength of 8. It does however lack the +10% city attack of the swordsman.

Unique Building: Forum (replaces Market)
Besides the benefits of a market, the forum gives +25% great person birth rate in its city.

Starting screenshot

This is the start of the game (click for a bigger image):

Adventurer Class bonuses:
You play on monarch level (but the AI still has immortal level starting units).

To Enter the Competition:

This competition will open at 00:01 am on 1 Mar 2024, server local time (UTC-6:00). From that date and time, you'll be able to get your chosen starting save >>>here<<<.

Submit the save after your victory (or defeat) here, by 8 Apr 2024.

Here is a link to a list of the differences between Vanilla, Warlords and BtS.

Software Versions

Windows: This game MUST be played in Beyond the Sword (NOT Civ4 Vanilla or Warlords), patched to version 3.19, and with the BUFFY mod version 3.19.005 installed. You can download the BUFFY mod here. Players using Windows Vista or Windows 7 are encouraged to read the notes on Vista fixes here.

Macintosh: This game MUST be played in Beyond the Sword (NOT Civ4 Vanilla or Warlords), patched to version 3.19, and with the Mac BUFFY mod version 3.19.003 installed. You can download the Mac BUFFY mod here.

While playing...

Remember - for your entry to be accepted, it MUST be your first attempt to play this game, and you MUST NOT replay any turns. If you make a mistake while playing, you have to live with it, learn from it, and carry on the game without replaying.

We will open 'spoiler' threads during the month for players to discuss what happens in their games. Do not discuss any details of your game outside those threads.

@Blake00 @The_J

I guess we should be thankful that fantasy realm doesn’t put jungle on clam tiles.
I believe it's possible to edit the map to have at least the slowing effect of the jungle on a water tile. I remember a Gotm where that was the case.

Given that's it's a land heavy map with nonsensical terrain, fog busting might be harder than usual so I might prio the Great Wall here. Also protects us against a bad barb event.

I think it would be difficult to change the deadline right now when we're so close to the existing deadline. Once the game has already started, changing the dates requires someone to carefully change raw database entries, so we prefer not to do that unless there's a really good reason (such as, server downtime stopping people submitting). Also, we're only a few days from the original deadline, so changing it might not be fair on anyone who's already compressed their play and submitted a rushed game to meet that deadline.

If you aren't able to finish in time, you can submit where you've played up to as a retired game, so you get a public record that you at least played the game. If you're running up to the wire, the Gotm server home page (https://gotm.civfanatics.net/) shows a countdown so that, once there's less than a day left, you can see how many hours you have to submit.

If it's any help, if you have a good reason why you've just missed the deadline we will occasionally accept slightly late entries - if you PM the mapmaker. But it has to be occasional - we won't accept the same person repeatedly doing that.

I think it would be difficult to change the deadline right now when we're so close to the existing deadline. Once the game has already started, changing the dates requires someone to carefully change raw database entries, so we prefer not to do that unless there's a really good reason (such as, server downtime stopping people submitting). Also, we're only a few days from the original deadline, so changing it might not be fair on anyone who's already compressed their play and submitted a rushed game to meet that deadline.

If you aren't able to finish in time, you can submit where you've played up to as a retired game, so you get a public record that you at least played the game. If you're running up to the wire, the Gotm server home page (https://gotm.civfanatics.net/) shows a countdown so that, once there's less than a day left, you can see how many hours you have to submit.

If it's any help, if you have a good reason why you've just missed the deadline we will occasionally accept slightly late entries - if you PM the mapmaker. But it has to be occasional - we won't accept the same person repeatedly doing that.
ok, sounds fair, thanks for the answer

I believe it's possible to edit the map to have at least the slowing effect of the jungle on a water tile. I remember a Gotm where that was the case.
Also affects the tile yield.

Top Bottom