[BNW] No Horses Again

docbud

Emperor
What is up with this game and no horses? Some games I get a ton of them, and I don't need that many. Other times I need them (i.e., playing as Arabia or Mongolia).

Tonight--I have already started 14 games (YES--14)...and not one single horse (playing as Arabia or Mongolia). Not a single one and no horses anywhere on the map except 30 or 40 tiles away, and no way I am setting up a second city that far away.

I know I can change the settings to guarantee everyone gets at least a few horses or iron, but I shouldn't have to. If my unique unit requires horses, the game coding should have that in mind so one at least gets a few of them.

Had one great game going as Mongolia. Five salt. Scout's first ruin was mining. Second was upgrade. Third was writing. I was like--"I can't believe this start--and watch no horses." And sure as heck--researched animal husbandry and no horses on the freaking map. It sucks to have to rage quit a game on turn 20.

The same thing happens when playing as the Shoeshone and no horses. Or no Iron when playing as Denmark or England.

And don't even get me going on the Aztecs starting in Tundra or desert, or how I rarely have Korea, Korea, or the Incas start near a mountain.

Mac version (Apple Store). Emperor level.

Apologies for the rant--but I'm sure I can't be the only one who get so frustrated with stuff like this.

I find it really hard to believe that the nearest horses is 30+ tiles away in 14 straight games... Are you sure you're not missing anything?

Oh and you cannot get 2 tech in 3 ruins btw. But this is out of topic.

With that said, you should adjust the your strategy with the terrain you got (isn't that the point of playing Civ after all?). You can still buy horses from other civs that have them, ally city state that have horses, or conquer some cities that have horses.

^^Then maybe it was four. I did indeed get those techs. From one scout. But I will not argue and get off topic.

And you can believe me or not. It is now almost 8:30 p.m. EST, and I have yet to get any single horse, and it's been three hours.

And are you serious? Aztecs starting in the desert is the point of playing Civ? No--it's not. I would expect to play the civ with the benefits that it's supposed to get.

That is like me playing a game of poker and all the face cards are missing from the deck. What is the point of playing?

All I'm saying is that if you play as a certain civ then you should start in a place that you should (i.e., Incas with hills or mountains, or Aztecs in jungle). And if the UU requres a certain resource--at least give a few of them.

And if I'm playing Mongolia and warring--I doubt other civs will be selling me horses as they will be hating me. Besides that--there were no horses except across the entire pangeia.

EDIT TO ADD: Just started a game and I do have horses. Playing as Korea and I really don't need them. 12 horses. I sure could have used those when trying to play as Mongolia or Arabia...

Last edited:
My games computer HATES me; I recently had a Prince start, standard speed, large continents, high sea level, tropical rainforest, and mis-keyed a random world age (got handed a 5 billion age); random leader, Elizabeth (thank LOKI it wasn't Venice); dropped into an 8-ring jungle island with a choice - one Citrus in the 3-ring, or the hill on the island in the 5-ring. All the AIs and CSs were on other continents, no rivers on my island, and 12 barb camps as my only neighbors .

Typical classic FUMBUK start, this was before I discovered "re-roll". An Honor SP got me going (London got to Pop. 6 before I could throw a settler), and 2 GGenerals later, I Founded my 2nd city where the 3rd Barb camp was, LO and BEHOLD, there was Iron and Gems in York's 2-ring ! Soon thereafter my 3rd city, Itswet, was Founded on the west coast; and now I could (ha ha) relax, when I got the Pyramids . By T200 I had set down 7 cities, and had cleared all the barbs from MY island .

Then the AIs finally found me; and NOT ONE horse on the island . Bananas saved my sorry ass in THAT game !!

Last edited:
^^Yikes.

What's weird is that some nights everything will be fine. Then one day or night I'll try to play a new game, and it takes forever to get a decent start.

I remember someone telling me (here at the fourms) that even though I may not see luxuries right away when settling, there are probably in the 2nd or third rings. So last night--I settled on turn one (even though I didn't see a single luxury). Ran my warrior around the four rings of my city, and still no luxuries. There was no way I was going to play with just grass and one cattle.

But other games go great.

Maybe the Civ V Gods like to mess with me sometimes or something.

Yeah, some strategic resources are really hit or miss for me. It just seems like a dice roll. There's no probable spot they can be.
What's especially frustrating is when I control a very large territory, and when coal and oil roll around, they never spawn in my territory!

^^I've had games like that. I own almost half the world, and not a drop of oil or a single aluminum or uranium.

A while ago, on Conquest of Siberia, I had a possible/plausible mods uncompatability resulting with the barbs being the ONLY bunch able to FIND and USE iron or horses for units !!; while there were ZERO resources, not even fraqqing FISH !!!

^^Ouch.

Playing a game as Babylon last night (Pangea map), and I don't think there was one aluminum anywhere on the map. It's possible a city state I hadn't met had some, but I thought I had met them all. And I looked carefully on the map. Though, I suppose one of the AIs could have had aluminum under the capital itself or something.

I continued playing, though, and totally destroyed the Shoshone as they had forwarded settled on me non-stop during the game (I only had one city--my capital). I've left him two crap cities (out of 12), and now am marching on Washington as he's been a jerk.

Top Bottom