OOS errors in two-person LAN multiplayer

Kyzarc Fotjage

Rise Up
My housemate and I used to play a fair bit of CIV IV multiplayer together over LAN, but for the last few years the OOS errors have gotten to the point where the game is completely unplayable. If we're lucky we'll get 100 turns in before they start cropping up, but inevitably we hit the point (early industrial at the latest, game start at earliest) where they are appearing every other turn. We've looked a dozen times for solutions, but it seems like this isn't a serious problem for other people and threads on it are pretty rare. We've cleared the cache, uninstalled and reinstalled the game, reverted to older patches, removed mods, turned off random events, turned off simultaneous turns, reduced the map size, and the OOS errors still inevitably crop up and cause it to fail. The only solution we've found that actually works is playing the K-Mod, but we both hate how absurdly aggressive it makes the AI (invading us through several neighbors) and don't enjoy playing it. It seems absurd that a turn-based strategy game has OOS errors at all, given we can do multiplayer Stellaris w/o any issues. Is this just an 'us' problem? If not how do other people deal with it?

We're both running the Windows version on Steam with relatively recent computers. We have the issue both when going over wifi and when hooking up directly via ethernet cables. The problem was significantly less severe when he was playing on a mac laptop w/ it installed from discs, which is how we played in college and would usually hit early modern before the errors started cropping up in mass.

Hello,

looks like you're tried almost everything to avoid the issues. My guess was the WLAN-usage, but you're already wrote that this was not the case.

I just can guessing into the blue: Did both players using different language in the game? One OOS (unfixed in BTS) can be raised during founding cities.

My second suggestion is to enable the logging to search for the reason (if it's just a single one).
Enable LoggingEnabled, SynchLog and RandLog in CivilizationIV.ini and compare the files if the OOS occurs.

Thanks for the response! We both use english, so it'd be weird for it to be a language issue. Mostly the OOS errors crop up at the beginning of turns, the only times they crop up mid-turn are when we try to mass-upgrade units and we haven't noticed it happening when settling a new city.

I'll try that, just need to find where the file is and convince my housemate to give it another try w/o a fix in hand. His patience for troubleshooting has basically run out by this point.

Reverting to older patches is definitely not the answer

Switch the Beta "original_release blah blah" version. Steam jacked it all up originally when they switched to their MP servers, so gave us the Beta version for the original assets. Most mods do not work on the non-Beta Steam version as none were ever built for it.

Big issue with OOS is having different assets, so make sure you always have the same setup and the same mods(and versions). Never revert patches. (steam version comes full patched to 3.19)

Basically don't jack with any of the game files. Also, make sure both of you delete the Custom Assets folder on your machines cause stuff is stored in there that is not uninstalled. Don't worry about deleting it as a new empty one is automatically generated.

Run the game in Win 7 compatibility mode and run as administrator. Always run the game from the executable - never from the Steam library.

I recommend both of you def reinstall, but after uninstalling first delete all civ folders (main and in documents/my games) and cache (it's in AppData somewhere ..just find the BTS folders)

Last edited:
Reverting to older patches is definitely not the answer

Switch the Beta "original_release blah blah" version. Steam jacked it all up originally when they switched to their MP servers, so gave us the Beta version for the original assets. Most mods do not work on the non-Beta Steam version as none were ever built for it.

Big issue with OOS is having different assets, so make sure you always have the same setup and the same mods(and versions). Never revert patches. (steam version comes full patched to 3.19)

Basically don't jack with any of the game files. Also, make sure both of you delete the Custom Assets folder on your machines cause stuff is stored in there that is not uninstalled. Don't worry about deleting it as a new empty one is automatically generated.

Run the game in Win 7 compatibility mode and run as administrator. Always run the game from the executable - never from the Steam library.

I recommend both of you def reinstall, but after uninstalling first delete all civ folders (main and in documents/my games) and cache (it's in AppData somewhere ..just find the BTS folders)
That definitely helped. This time we ran into the first OOS error ~110 turns in, had an OOS immediately upon reloading the save, but when my housemate reentered it went away fro another 80-ish turns. Annoying, but manageable. Hopefully they don't get too much worse the further we go.

Top Bottom