Operation Barbarossascenario?

primordial stew

Emperor
I'm considering creating an Operation Barbarossa scenario. The map would be chopped in some way such that only the parts relevant to the Ostfont would be playable. I think for scaling purposes (ie to maintain map size scaling) most plots would be converted to sea plots. This would be a historical scenario.

For now at least this would be a mod-mod, and would include a map + python + civ4promotioninfos.xml, and maybe civ4unitinfos too. With those I hope it would be possible to create a reasonable eastern front recreation, at least for 1941.

For promotions there would be additions:
"Russian winter" = -15% strength, -1 moves (used during the winter of 41 for all Axis except the Finns)
"disorganzied" = -20% strength, -2 moves (used on the 1st turn for the Soviets)
"mud" = -10% strength, -1 moves for mech units

A python module would perform the following actions:
1. handle special promotions as listed above
2. techs would be given in python only, and not researched. While draconian this avoids the problem of setting tech cost correctly and allows appropriate historical progress.
3. unit naming. If UUs are used then unit names can go in the XML (eg for SS or Red Guard), but for the generic Infantry I/II/III this cannot be done there since all civs would get the uniqnames. However in python it can be easily accomplished. So instead of lots of nameless Panzer III units you'd have "II Panzer Divisionen". German APC units would translate to "Panzergenadier", and Soviet APC would translate to "Mechanized". That sort of thing. I'd need help to get the details set correctly.

The only hard parts are setting units + buildings in the map. There is a wealth of documentation on how to set the armies, so that just needs to be mapped into the game, which is considerable work.

Awsome :) I'll defintly try it :) And good to see poeple wants to make scenarios and mod's mods :)

I don't want to create a mod-mod, there is too much upkeep cost ;) It's better to fold some changes into the main mod and then just have a scenario, and maybe some python (eg for Lend Lease, first German winter in Russia, mud in Russia, etc...).

For Rise and Fall of the Roman Empire (RFRE) the first scenario is 275BC, and to make sure the various parameters (unit costs+strengths+mix, timeline, inflation rate, etc..) were reasonable 200AD, 400AD, and 500AD scenarios were created. It's a historical mod with heavy python scripting. As it's a historical mod the map is made to conform to whatever documentation is available. The only data available is the Roman army size, so after that is set buildings and enemy strengths are derived.

This mod could be done similarly, and there is much more documentation available. Is that an objective?

It would be some work to put together, but if scenarios were created for each year it would allow much easier tuning of the myriad of parameters (eg unit strengths, costs, allowed tech..).

Not much. I chose map allready(im not excactly sure if it's fine for the purpose). I chose to take Asioasioasio's central and eastern europe map. I made list of countries i thought i should put in the game. I'm not sure if its going to become anything good, but i thought i could put it a try on creatin operation Barbarossa scenario. I don't know how to python so that's a problem. I have pretty good knowing about ww2 since it's my favourite history subject and i'm planning on going to university in Turku to study history. (I'm in highschool 3rd year now, if it's a right word.)

I don't know what will work best. The Sept 1939 map makes Russia small, possibly too small. The historical level of German conquest will leave the Soviets with only a handful of cites. Unless the Germans a severely burdened by upkeep costs the game will end very early.

The python stuff I've spelled out so far is pretty easy for me to do, but if there is another map of a different size it will likely need changes. Things like Lend Lease and the Siberian reinforcements wouldn't have a dependence, but winter + mud would since those use specific map coordinate ranges.

I do find modding based on history very interesting. For example, the Axis invaded with 4.3 million personnel and only 4200 tanks. The Soviets had 3.3 million personnel and 15,700 tanks. How

Here's where I got the name "Sissi" from, but yes, there were too few to be represented directly.
http://www.wargameacademy.org/sqla/Scenarios/ScenariosTAHGC/TAHGC-023-Silent Death.pdf

As for the map, I've got Hungary, Italy, and the Finns as vassals of Germany. Everyone has permanent peace with Turkey. The borders have been updated to June 1941, but the armies haven't been yet.

Finland was not vassal of Germany in ww2. Finland was allied with Germany against USSR(and USSR only).

I think Finland should be pleased with germany(and mutual war again USSR)

I didn't played RFRE - so I'm not sure how it works and how it should be done. If it would be couple Soviet Invasion Scenarios - year by year - all right - each was very interesting. And of course if python events could be set to certain scenarios - so for example some of the events won't affect for example pacific scenario.

For the map I could create any size land masses (if you won't find map)- placement of cities rivers etc would be up to you. There's also option of cuting out map from the giant map.

3. unit naming. If UUs are used then unit names can go in the XML (eg for SS or Red Guard), but for the generic Infantry I/II/III this cannot be done there since all civs would get the uniqnames. However in python it can be easily accomplished. So instead of lots of nameless Panzer III units you'd have "II Panzer Divisionen". German APC units would translate to "Panzergenadier", and Soviet APC would translate to "Mechanized". That sort of thing. I'd need help to get the details set correctly.

The only hard parts are setting units + buildings in the map. There is a wealth of documentation on how to set the armies, so that just needs to be mapped into the game, which is considerable work.

See http://forums.civfanatics.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=13027 which I created. 6 weeks of research, just there

Top Bottom