Overflow proration. Exploit?

HorseshoeHermit

20% accurate as usual, Morty
When you overflow production with modifiers, you get a credit of hammers stored in a special reserve which we can call the overflow buffer. This buffer is then applied at full value to the next time the city yields production (but not to a process like Wealth). This happens with the Industrious trait, among other things.

This is possibly an exploit: an unintended side-effect of intended rules. If I have +100% hammers to a 30 hammer job, it makes sense that I can only do 30 hammers of output = 15 hammers of 'work' on that job. If I turn 50 hammers of work into 100 hammers and then 70 hammers of spare output, this is bizarre. The consistent behaviour would be to do 15 hammers of those 50 hammers, finish the job, and overflow 35 hammers, which can be modified in the next job.

I'm here to point out the technology exists to remove the modifiers applied to the overflow, and re-apply whatever valid modifiers exist to the next actual thing produced. This is not an inevitable exploit, it can be amended. And then no more will our great designers have to balance in fear of overflow shenanigans.

The mathematics will actually come from the Civ5 algorithm, but with a bug fix. In Civ5, their research overflow exploit is due to a bug where the inverse multiplier gets applied the wrong way around. We can do better.

I'm searching up the code now, and if I hear @Vokarya or @45°38'N-13°47'E confirm this is something we want, I'll push to the SVN.

Mmm, not sure what you mean. I know there are overflow problems but never actually had a look at the code in this way. If you find the right part of the code, can you post it here on the forum with your proposed changes? Thanks.

Top Bottom