PC computing

civvver

Deity
Cus there aren't any other forums where I really see this being discussed much in terms of just wow this is cool, outside of like pc builds on tom's hardware, I thought maybe some forum goers here would be interested.

Intel just released coffee lake as a response to ryzen processors. Though they claim this release was always scheduled to go down like this, the timing and manner of it seems very suspicious.

In case you haven't checked out cpu specs in a while, AMD released their new zen architecture last feburary to compete with modern intel cpus. AMD had been way behind in performance for a while, even with more cores on their cpus they couldn't compete with i7s. Well the new ryzen's could. Even though their single core performance was still on average about 10% less than intels, you could get an 8 core processor for about half the cost of intel's 6 core ones, and you could get 6 core ones on equal footing with some of intels quad core offerings. Like for example the ryzen 1600x is a 6 core, 3.2 ghz processor with a list price around $215, while the intel i5-7500 is 3.4 ghz quad core around $205. So for ten bucks more you get almost equal single core performance but a lot better workstation performance and it's a bit more future proof.

Still for me who only uses my home desktop pc for gaming I was sorely disappointed by ryzen. What I was hoping was there would be some gaming appropriate cpu that was markedly less expensive than intel's i5 line. The i5 7400 is around $180. Yes ryzen came out with a $165 1400 model but it was slower than the 7400 and only $15 cheaper. So it didn't move me that much.

Well fast forward to coffee lake. Cpus are so fast now that very few applications actually push their limits. Because of that, even though intels were still a bit better for gaming everyone went so what? and started touting 6 and 8 core top end ryzen processors as the ones to buy, cus your gaming was drastically more impacted by your gpu than your cpu. And they are right in this assessment. So what did intel do? They basically just up'd the core count on their kaby lake processors and released them as coffee lake. Now the i5's are 6 core by default, the i7's are 6 core, 12 threads and the i3's are quad core. The last one is the most significant to me. Because when intel did this core bump they didn't change their pricing tiers!

Thus an i3-8100 is msrp $120. It's a 3.6 ghz quad core pc with nearly identical specs to an old i5-7500. Only it's around $80 less! Perfect for gaming and cheap!

I'm just really shocked by it all. I guess that's what competition does, drives your prices down and offerings up.

I plan on upgrading my cpu pretty soon, I'm just kind of waiting for ram prices to drop. I think there's a nand memory shortgage right now affecting ram and ssd prices. But even if I did it now I could upgrade my cpu, mobo and memory for around $300 when just a couple months ago I was looking at $400-500 upgrades for the same performance.

On a side note gpus are now starting to outpace gaming as well at 1080p resolution, by far the most common one. I play on 1080p monitor at 60hz. To max this out all I need is like an rx 560 or 1050ti, both around $150 cards. It's quite amazing to me actually, just 4-5 years ago cards that could max out 4-5 year old games at that resolution were around $250.

Just a note about Ryzen and sound recording:

A friend who is in the business of music and sound recording says that the Ryzen processors have a problem with latency when recording multi-track sound on a Digital Audio Workstation (DAW). Basically, what you play in the instrument is delayed by a fraction of a second before you hear it. This leads to you being slightly off beat.

Intel CPUs have the same issue (all CPUs do), but the latency is noticeably less than the Ryzen. The latency can be reduced by the DAW's settings and latency control, but from what I understand, it's quite difficult to accomplish on a Ryzen CPU. For this application, then, Intel wins. In terms of other applications, the Ryzen is probably a better buy for the price performance ratio. Especially when paired with one of AMD's new Vega GPU cards.

I am undecided on what my new rig is going to feature. I was particularly unimpressed by my AMD Vishera CPU. It does not perform as well as claimed. I think it might be Intel for me next time, even though the price is higher. :(

My laptop runs Intel's best ~5W/fanless chip, no real AMD alternative there.

My work desktop runs Intel's best desktop chip, cost irrelevant, no real AMD alternative there either.

My HTPC is currently Richland-based, I'll be rebuilding it whenever Raven Ridge comes out. (I missed the Broadwell Core i7-5775C, and Intel doesn't seem interested in manufacturing any more high-performing desktop APUs.)

Nope. Only big difference is many cases don’t have external drive bays on the front because almost everything is download or comes on usb and not dvds. I still like disc drives for old software and burning discs is just easy. And if you get an ssd you can get a pcie one now and they are a bit faster so you need to make sure your motherboard has space. That’s pretty much it.

I always thought cpu mattered more than gpu for rendering and you wanted as many threads as possible so I’d get a ryzen 1700 or 1800. But I don’t render so not sure

I also didn't realize ram prices were so high. I don't check this stuff unless starting to shop so I didn't notice, but prices have nearly doubled since last December due to a shortage. It's also affecting ssd prices, percentage wise not nearly as much, only like 10%, but they cost more so you're looking at paying $20-40 more for a 512 gb ssd. That just sucks, again a reason for me to wait til spring and hopefully prices drop.

I just bought a top end I7 so I won't be buying a new one for hopefully a long time. At least I got it before the SSD prices surged.
So no upgrade until a new GOOD version of CIV comes out that requires an upgrade. And we all know that's not happening.

My laptop runs Intel's best ~5W/fanless chip, no real AMD alternative there.

My work desktop runs Intel's best desktop chip, cost irrelevant, no real AMD alternative there either.

My HTPC is currently Richland-based, I'll be rebuilding it whenever Raven Ridge comes out. (I missed the Broadwell Core i7-5775C, and Intel doesn't seem interested in manufacturing any more high-performing desktop APUs.)

Pretty sure Intel doesn't have a real competition against thread ripper

Nope. Only big difference is many cases don’t have external drive bays on the front because almost everything is download or comes on usb and not dvds. I still like disc drives for old software and burning discs is just easy. And if you get an ssd you can get a pcie one now and they are a bit faster so you need to make sure your motherboard has space. That’s pretty much it.

I always thought cpu mattered more than gpu for rendering and you wanted as many threads as possible so I’d get a ryzen 1700 or 1800. But I don’t render so not sure

Not sure I understand what you mean. Are you saying they don't come with space for optical drives and I'd have to get an external one? I took a look at the case from that setup and I noticed there doesn't seem to be anywhere to put a disc in.

I think the author chose the R5 1600 because of its good price/performance. He goes for I7's in pricier builds.

Both CPU and GPU can be used for rendering.

Last edited:
Yes many cases don't have an opening/mount for an optical drive. If you want one just pick a case that does. Just be aware.

I think the r5 1600 is a nice mix of performance and price, 6 cores. But you may want to wait for the new 6 core i5s.

Good call. It hadn't occured to me that cases don't automatically have external bays now.

Also the power supply. Does it come with enough cables and power output. May or may not come with the case.

Ew don't buy a psu that comes with a case or vice versa. Buy a quality name brand one. And yes, check the connectors to ensure it has enough. Usually not an issue at all unless you start to use like 5 harddrives and multiple optical drives. Though check it has the right hookups for your gpu.

Unfortunately memory prices have spiked since we discussed this. :( They seem to be stagnating now and hopefully will fall again the next few months.

The i5 8600K is scoring a little better than the R5 1600 in the benchmarks, but it's still substantially more expensive (where I am) for now. The i5 8400 scores less but is also cheaper. Going to see how things develop. Should I expect the benchmarks to increase in time? (because of BIOS updates or something like that?)

Should I expect the benchmarks to increase in time?

No.

You're probably more likely to see benchmarks *decrease* with BIOS updates, and errata is fixed for security/stability issues in ways that negatively affect performance.

You're likely to see the perceived performance between chips shift to favour those with more multithreading performance, and software becomes more multithreading-capable.

Last time I owned an AMD I had a K6-2.

Top Bottom