Penalty if joining another civ in war?

NordicExpanse

Chieftain
When a civ requests help in going to war, how would it shake out for me? Logically, there would be a lesser penalty since it's not all on one civ and maybe a bonus in relations with the civ asking for my help (who at all other times compares me to pond scum).

It depends from civ asking for help, and their plans (?) ::shifty:

In my current game as Netherlands, Shaka requested joining to war with Shoshone, I agreed thinking "This will make Zulu not send their forces on ME!" (also, Shoshone had nice city and I had economical problems). We destroyed Shoshone in giant battle, Shaka razes two cities :p I capture Moson Kahni, 10 turns later Shaka attacks... me :p
To sum up, Zulu ambitions brought nothing but despair and bloodbath to the grasslands of the East Continent.

I have similar experiences with Rome, but also cases of awesome companions - especially... Catherine.

While talking about warmonger penalty, I have bad news - as I have taken Shoshone Capital aaand unfortunately "their last city" I have now penalty with Portugal (impossible to talk with Maria), Arabia (possible to talk, but not as friendly as normally) and for short period of time I had penalty with... Zulu! But it disappeared after... my war with them :rollereye: Also there is Persia who surprisingly doesn't care about my "warmongering".

I love one thing (I don't know when it was implemented, certainly not in the Civ5 base game): if you warmonger in the early game and later meet new civs, they don't care about your ancient "unseen" wars.

Well, technically I was not denounced, but I have red modifiers with met civs ;)

NordicExpanse - yes, you have a bonus in relations with the civ asking for war, althought not VERY big.

You'll get denounced if YOU capture too many cities. If you just aid the war effort a bit, maybe take an outpost city or something, you won't get denounced for that. Might get a few red modifiers left and right from the more concerned civs.
Now, if you joined another civs war and end up taking 70% of their empire including their capitol, kicking them out of the game...then expect denouncements like crazy.

I admit, it's tempting, because Siam and Japan are between my core cities and a city I won in an earlier war.

You don't get a warmonger penalty for capturing a city if a Ai hates them so if you see a lot of AI denounce a person declaring war on them isn't that bad

Same goes if a AI ask to join you in a war it will caus them to overlook the warmongering .

A lot of Ai will ask you this its a good tooltip to see who hates who so you can denouce the persons who you want to dow

but make sure you don't wipe them out because that is a extreme penalty.

It depends from civ asking for help, and their plans (?) ::shifty:

In my current game as Netherlands, Shaka requested joining to war with Shoshone, I agreed thinking "This will make Zulu not send their forces on ME!" (also, Shoshone had nice city and I had economical problems). We destroyed Shoshone in giant battle, Shaka razes two cities :p I capture Moson Kahni, 10 turns later Shaka attacks... me :p
To sum up, Zulu ambitions brought nothing but despair and bloodbath to the grasslands of the East Continent.

I have similar experiences with Rome, but also cases of awesome companions - especially... Catherine.

While talking about warmonger penalty, I have bad news - as I have taken Shoshone Capital aaand unfortunately "their last city" I have now penalty with Portugal (impossible to talk with Maria), Arabia (possible to talk, but not as friendly as normally) and for short period of time I had penalty with... Zulu! But it disappeared after... my war with them :rollereye: Also there is Persia who surprisingly doesn't care about my "warmongering".

I love one thing (I don't know when it was implemented, certainly not in the Civ5 base game): if you warmonger in the early game and later meet new civs, they don't care about your ancient "unseen" wars.

I had a similar story to this with Hiawatha and had joined Ahmad Al Mansur in a war with Atilla but I guess I went too far and conquered both of Atilla's cities. A few turns after, Inca and Arabia both make a DoW on me. So I paid Al Mansur to go to war with Inca. The next turn, Ahmad denounces me and the turn after, he backstabs me and he makes a DoW on me with Maria Theresa. It is hard to warmonger, capture cities and stay in immortal.

You don't get a 'declare war' warmonger penalty in my experience; you'll still get the penalty for capturing cities. Be warned, though, if you're asked to declare war on someone you have a DoF with, you'll still get the 'war with a friend' penalty (including with the civ that asked you to go to war).

You don't get a 'declare war' warmonger penalty in my experience; you'll still get the penalty for capturing cities. Be warned, though, if you're asked to declare war on someone you have a DoF with, you'll still get the 'war with a friend' penalty (including with the civ that asked you to go to war).

IIRC, this is all true. The warmonger penalty for declaring war was removed some time back, unless you have an active DoF with the target.

I was never denounced when asked to join another civ in a war. Never.

And I've been denounced by the very civs that asked me to war. Twice. But that was back in Vanilla..

Anecdotal evidence doesn't really count for much here. The fact is there's no such thing as a "said yes to my war request" modifier. So saying yes means absolutely nothing positive. Expect diplo repercussions RE city capture to be the same as if you had retaliated after invasion.

People make a big deal about the Common foe modifier but one green thing never stops a chain denouncement. Typically if you are choosing your enemies and city targets well you can lead AI opinion rather than follow it - destroy a hated AI first and let everyone else pile on and get the genocide markers.

Aggressive diplomacy can be managed (easily if you are in a strong position) but saying it's as simple as "buddy up with Washington when he wants to go to war" is off base - the approach has to be holistic.

i wiped out babylon on the map with spain and immediately i get 2 friendship requests...from other civ

wtf

Top Bottom