People who think Civ is fun, what's fun about it? I'm not getting it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

CivAddict2013

Warlord
Is Civ supposed to be fun? Because I'm just not getting it anymore. For me, the game has lost whatever fun it had. There's just nothing fun about playing the game when the AI gets so many advantages. There's just zero fun about it.

The game that caused this rant? Okay, I'll tell you. I'm playing Shaka, I get a good start and take a couple cities. I've got tons of units. So Askia declares war on me a couple times. I had a big army and was able to ward off his attacks.

But then he declares war AGAIN and comes at me with seamlessly infinite units. And I literally mean infinite. You kill a flock of Rifleman and Calvaries then 10 more come out of nowhere. It's just no fun playing against cheating AI.

This is a problem with the game. In every game, there's one Civ that seems to have infinite units who meanwhile has top science and builds all the latest wonders. It's just impossible to keep up. Impossible, I don't care what you guys say.

There's no way for me to have a million units, while being caught up in tech and at the same time building all the wonders.

It's just no fun for me. You're always behind in something. If you're ahead in Science, you're behind in units. If you're ahead in units, you're behind in Science. There's just no way to keep up with the AI cheating.

And that, is what takes all the fun out of the game.

Is that four threads you've made in the past two days about why this game sucks? You don't like the game, we get it. So don't play it. I don't go on Starcraft forums and complain how the Zerg are "cheating AI"

You're always behind in something. If you're ahead in Science, you're behind in units. If you're ahead in units, you're behind in Science.
It is a strategy game. You have to sacrifice some aspects for other aspects to be stronger. Without meaningful choices like this, there would be no strategy to it.

There's just no way to keep up with the AI cheating.
Might I suggest playing on a lower difficulty level.

Jesus, OP has made 35 threads and every single one is complaining about how the game is broken, or bad, or how the AI above Prince cheats.

Why not just play another game if you hate this one so much?

Quick answer: You're not very good at civ. Or at least you're not as good as the difficulty level you're playing on.

Longer answer: Creating an empire and playing a game where your actions will have repercussions throughout the rest of your game. Overcoming the challenges presented by your enemies, and created by your own poor decisions. Crushing the insolent fools that dare disrespect your awe and might. Those are things I find fun about civ.

Suggestions: Try playing on an easier difficulty (prince or lower) where the AI doesn't cheat.
Watch videos of better players to understand what's really optimal and what just seems to be a good idea at the time.

This is a problem with the game. In every game, there's one Civ that seems to have infinite units who meanwhile has top science and builds all the latest wonders. It's just impossible to keep up. Impossible, I don't care what you guys say.

I'm gonna assume this is just you venting your anger, and that you're not trolling or seriously believe nobody has ever managed to win a game of civ. While there are certainly games where you could get a bad start and an AI could get a great start, this doesn't happen every single game. Again, lower your difficulty while you learn more about the game. It's okay to not play on deity.

What did you used to find fun about civ? To me, a game where I'm ahead the entire time without even trying would be really boring. This makes the times I do find a way to win all that much sweeter, because it's not always a given before I start the game. If you want to win, then go to prince or warlord, but I think one of the things I like about civ is that it consistently challenges me to find different ways to achieve goals. Also keep in mind that you're talking to people who have played civ for several hundred hours to get to the point they are at now. We've all experienced games like you're experiencing, and we've all slowly learned ways to get around these issues. It's not that we're inherently better at this game, but probably that we're just more practiced. Taking advice from these forums helps a lot too.

Just so you're aware, you're on a forum where the majority people on here regularly beat the game at the higher/highest difficulty levels, so you're not going to get a huge amount of sympathy or agreement with overwhelmingly negative posts like this. People who post here are not representative of the average civ player. We can and will try to help you to the best of our ability, but if you're just here to complain, you're complaining here to people who have a very different perspective on civ than you do. This is just something to keep in mind for the future.

If you don't find the AI cheating fun, play on Prince. There's no shame in it, the game can be quite frustrating at higher difficulties.

Moderator Action: This is little more than a rant thread, so thread closed. Please don't make repeated threads on virtually the same topic, or rant threads.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom