[LP] Persona Spotlight: Qin Shi Huang (Unifier)

Also, both Julius Caesar and Abraham Lincoln also got assassinated in theaters. Caesar was at the Theatre of Pompey. :mischief:
There's nothing more dangerous than an actor who thinks you are trying to up-stage him . . .

Either way I'm probably going to change around the colors to suit my tastes. Currently I have the base game "Jade green" color set as the primary color, and all I have to do now is change the second color (dragon icon) depending on the leader with the color matching their official one for their dynasty.
Qin: Black
Kublai: White
Wu: Yellow/Gold (Technically it was the color of the Tang, not her own Wu Zhou dynasty, but it works for me since I can't seem to find an official one for her)
Yongle: Red
My original idea when Kublai first came along was to give him a greyish colour (Xanadu, looks like the mineral serpentite) and use four bright foreground colours for each of the secondaries. Chinese Kublai would be the direct inversion of those pairs. It didn't end up that way though. I have a feeling with multiple Chinas in-game there will be some truly wacky colour combinations to be had.

I use an amalgam colour for the background of city-states (RGB 64/48/32). I took each secondary colour (like yellow for trade, orange for industrial etc) and worked out the average RGB value of all of them, then picked the inverse colour. It ended up a sort of muddy brown, which I then dropped in brightness a bit to make the secondaries stand out. This freed up black as a primary too, which is a nice bonus.

I wonder if the city names list for China will be extended to account for more playable leaders hailing from there.

If Qin has something to do with barbarians, I wonder if he gets something like settlers or builders from dispersing them. But we already have a few abilities about dispersing barbarian camps already...

If Qin has something to do with barbarians, I wonder if he gets something like settlers or builders from dispersing them. But we already have a few abilities about dispersing barbarian camps already...
I wouldn't be surprised if its similar to the Sea Dog/Genghis ability where killing an unit has a chance to capture/recruit the unit. Fits with his name and has a pre-existing template, for what it may or may not matter. It would need something else to go with though, in my opinion, because its kind of weak otherwise.

Last edited:
My original idea when Kublai first came along was to give him a greyish colour (Xanadu, looks like the mineral serpentite) and use four bright foreground colours for each of the secondaries. Chinese Kublai would be the direct inversion of those pairs. It didn't end up that way though. I have a feeling with multiple Chinas in-game there will be some truly wacky colour combinations to be had.

I use an amalgam colour for the background of city-states (RGB 64/48/32). I took each secondary colour (like yellow for trade, orange for industrial etc) and worked out the average RGB value of all of them, then picked the inverse colour. It ended up a sort of muddy brown, which I then dropped in brightness a bit to make the secondaries stand out. This freed up black as a primary too, which is a nice bonus.

I wonder if the city names list for China will be extended to account for more playable leaders hailing from there.
Unlikely, given that by default you cannot have the same civ multiple times, and I don't think the random civ picker ever picks it by default if the options are disabled.

I do not care about anything else, just make the abilities interesting and unique. These past two packs have not inspired me to come back to the game all that often. I want more than % bonuses, I want the abilities to incorporate game mechanics in unique ways that make the leader unique. Abraham tried, but his ability is mediocre. Sultan Saladin, Nzinga Mbande, Nader Shah, and the new Suleiman are all as bland as toothpicks. Tokugawa did his best, but in the end it's a couple % bonuses here and there.

They need to go back to the Gathering Storm formula. I felt NFP was too over the top, but as I'm reading the Gathering Storm leader abilities they are all interesting. I want it to be this way but I have a feeling Qin's ability will be something like clearing a barbarian encampment grants a free eureka, which would honestly be the most boring thing ever.

oooh wait i thought of something to speculate on. what will his preexisting persona be called, in opposition to "Unifier"? maybe "Legalist"? or "builder"?
can't imagine it being anything like "emperor", thatd translate really awkwardly into chinese, unless they give it a way different chinese translation.
a really funny option would be calling it "the first". it fits with him being the first emperor of unified china, and doubles as saying "this was the first persona in the game"

oooh wait i thought of something to speculate on. what will his preexisting persona be called, in opposition to "Unifier"? maybe "Legalist"? or "builder"?
can't imagine it being anything like "emperor", thatd translate really awkwardly into chinese, unless they give it a way different chinese translation.
a really funny option would be calling it "the first". it fits with him being the first emperor of unified china, and doubles as saying "this was the first persona in the game"
I think "Emperor Qin" is most likely. Unifier Qin is when he's going around trying to deal with barbarians and actually create his empire, so he didn't have time to do any building projects until he became Emperor.

I thought of "Public Works" or "Builder" Qin but those don't sound right. "Legalist" Qin would only make sense if he had the ability to destroy certain Great Works. :mischief:

Top Bottom